Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 7:23:30 AM EDT
Where's the best place to buy 80% lowers and why?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
a couple places to check out:

www.hicapmagparts.com
saw this dude at the gun show in oc,   seemed like his stuff is reasonably priced, don't know where your from exactly but if your in CA he is a local to OC i believe.

www.tanneryshop.com
this page is always mentioned on the boards.  i think they are pretty legit...

note: did anyone see the CA LEGAL AR-15 stuff on the hicapmag parts sight? thoughts? comments?

still refusing to give up and buy a fab10...

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
pattymcn,
Are you still the webmaster for the fab10 mfg?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link to www.hicapmagparts.com/ - I wonder if they have replacement magazine bodies marked "Law Enforcement Use Only".

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
note: did anyone see the CA LEGAL AR-15 stuff on the hicapmag parts sight? thoughts? comments?

+1

What I can't figure out is exactly how the magazine would be removed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like their cali "fixed-mag"system should work Ok... and still be within the letter of the law...

to remove/service the mag .. looks like you will need to loosen the nut with a wrench or nut driver.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I am.  I'm doing research for them as they want to make the FAB 10 better and a lot of people calling them has mentioned the 80%s.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at KELTEC's SU-16 Rifle and they have a similar attached magazine.  I wonder if it's truly legal as they claim.  It certainly allows easier access to loading but doesn't fix the problem of having a "butchered" looking lower with out a magazine.

I think the ticket for the FAB 10 makers is to come up with a design to fix the look of the lower with a magazine.  Any ideas of how they can do that?

Patty
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The 80% receiver, if finished, would still be technically an AR-15 receiver, which can not legally be modified to bypass the banned-by-feature part of the AW laws.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes, I am.  I'm doing research for them as they want to make the FAB 10 better and a lot of people calling them has mentioned the 80%s.

Patty

I remember you.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 80% receiver, if finished, would still be technically an AR-15 receiver, which can not legally be modified to bypass the banned-by-feature part of the AW laws.

But, Turners AK pump uses a standard AK SAR-1 receiver, which should be illegal, based on your claim.  I want to ask DOJ, what happens if someone strips down the pump to the AK receiver, is this an illegal AK receiver?  They can't say yes, then the approved rifle is illegal.  If they say no, then all AR and AK receivers, not listed under RR, are legal to import, including building 80% receivers.  

I think this proves we can proceed with 80% builds, but we need a letter from the DOJ approving this, which can then be showed while you're getting busted for having an illegal AW
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi Lee, yes, I remember you too.  My very best wishes to you.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
on the 80%AR-15 Receiver. I have a question is buying and haveing it shipped to you in california and possesing it.  is this illegal
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It is legal to purchase and possess an 80% reciever in CA. You don't need an FFL to transfer it to you either. But the reason for this is that the CA DOJ does not consider a lower of any sort a firearm until it is 81% complete. You can find 80% 1911 frames, AKs and the like. They are all legal to purchase, possess, ship in and out, show off, throw like rocks, play make believe...

however... should you drill one single hole in it, making it more than 80% complete, you are then in possession of an AR15 and therefore an unregistred assault weapon.  So yea, buy all you want now, and finish them when you move out of the state.

Rayn
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is legal to purchase and possess an 80% reciever in CA. You don't need an FFL to transfer it to you either. But the reason for this is that the CA DOJ does not consider a lower of any sort a firearm until it is 81% complete. You can find 80% 1911 frames, AKs and the like. They are all legal to purchase, possess, ship in and out, show off, throw like rocks, play make believe...

however... should you drill one single hole in it, making it more than 80% complete, you are then in possession of an AR15 and therefore an unregistred assault weapon.  So yea, buy all you want now, and finish them when you move out of the state.

Rayn

Since the AK pump uses a 100% AK SAR-1 receiver, does ownership of one of these DOJ approved rifles constitute ownership of an AK unregistered AW?  Based on your definition it does.  But DOJ allows for the import of the SAR-1 pump rifle, and the conclusion should be non-listed receivers are not considered AWs.  DOJ would not allow for import a listed receiver in a pump rifle form.  The gray area.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#15]
FYI- [ur]tanneryshop.com is listing 80% "FAB-10" type receivers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#16]
but of course, I wont start my project before moving out of this wonderful state (prison). thanks for clearing things up for me raynman
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Hi patty....its me....cha-didn't know you're an arfcom member......I talked to michael a few weeks ago about the .308fab...he tells me he's just waiting for armalite to give him a call about working with its recievers....you heard anything yet?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Hi Cha,

I typed a letter to Randy Rossi for Micheal so I suspect it's all systems go - but I'm not sure where exactly we are in the process.  Just to let you know - Michael worries and stresses over everything [I guess it's a good thing as he wants to put out perfect products] but long story short he takes longer to make up his mind than average.

I'll ask him about it when he calls next.

Take are,  Patty
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.ar15plus.com/

their HPS lowers are really nice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Look s like Hicapmags is OUT OF STOCK on every Item?I wonder if DOJ did not agree with there interpitation of the law.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Look s like Hicapmags is OUT OF STOCK on every Item?I wonder if DOJ did not agree with there interpitation of the law.

Yeup, Jon @ hicapmagparts.com got into some trouble in San Francisco last week with DOJ for selling M16 parts.  I don't know the details though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#22]
William Tannery is not only a soldier recovering from battlewounds but also a pleasure to do buisiness with.

Im glad I could give him my buisiness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top