Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 7:25:32 AM EDT
Mrs Rob and myself we're doing the yardwork when we received A visitor.

She thought he looked A little dry.

And he was.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Soup!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Not.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Soup!

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Soup!

It was a joke guys.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Around here ya never know.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking tortoise there.

And for the record I've had turtle soup at Brennan's in New Orleans and it was delicious
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And for the record I've had turtle soup at Brennan's in New Orleans and it was delicious

I have had turtle soup myself, Snapping, Softshell.
The tortoise in the pic is A protected species.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
If the TSHTF I would eat it, but we have huge flocks of kerlews and a bumper crop of squirrels around here that would go first. Those things are all over Egmount Key.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#11]
"Gopher" tortoise, used to keep a few when I lived down there.

I just found this lil fella last week. Saw her in the middle of the road [45MPH] while driving. She was pretty emaciated, probably a late summer hatchling. We'll fatten her up a bit and let her go. She's just a bit bigger then a quarter.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If the TSHTF I would eat it, but we have huge flocks of kerlews and a bumper crop of squirrels around here that would go first. Those things are all over Egmount Key.

In that situation all bets are off.
The bark rats are prevalent in this A/O also.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had turtle soup myself, Snapping, Softshell.
The tortoise in the pic is A protected species.

I never suggested that you eat him, dude.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Not to be a killjoy or nothing, but I was alway told that you were breaking the law by doing /anything/ to disturb these guys, including giving them a tray of water or taking one indoors...
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not to be a killjoy or nothing, but I was alway told that you were breaking the law by doing /anything/ to disturb these guys, including giving them a tray of water or taking one indoors...

DO you have any idea how many of these I used to save by getting them out of the roadway? Arrest my ass..............
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

As a kid I saved about twenty of them in one summer. I lived out by Krome Ave. and at that time the end of civilization. The local Park Ranger from the Everglades (lived across the street from me) saw me do that and told me the tame thing. But he also told me that as long as I'm just trying to keep the critters safe that there is nothing wrong with trying to give mother nature a little help. That was about ten to twelve years ago.

Also I kept one during the summer that was in pretty bad shape. Found him in the middle of the road and it was missing a leg. I donated him to a reptile park out in the glades.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#17]
kerlews, mmmmm good large white meat brest
not that I would know somehow.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a kid I saved about twenty of them in one summer. I lived out by Krome Ave. and at that time the end of civilization. The local Park Ranger from the Everglades (lived across the street from me) saw me do that and told me the tame thing. But he also told me that as long as I'm just trying to keep the critters safe that there is nothing wrong with trying to give mother nature a little help. That was about ten to twelve years ago.

Also I kept one during the summer that was in pretty bad shape. Found him in the middle of the road and it was missing a leg. I donated him to a reptile park out in the glades.  

I've seen people damn near die trying to get one of those out of the road and I can't begin to say how many I've moved out of harms way. Write me a ticket for it and I'll take my chances in court.

On another note, I did stop a dumb ass from trying to move an alligator snapper from the road. I asked him if he liked all his fingers attached to his hand...
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#19]
 Thirsty little bugger, good on your wife for giving him some water.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 2 females and a male that cross my yard regularly... one of the females laid a clutch of eggs along the house and over a period of a few days i found hatchlings all over the yard... I gathered them up because I did not want the lawn crew to mow them over and kill them.

The wife has been caring for them since, they have grown to about 4 times their original size, have distinct personalities and will be relocated to an area far inland in the middle of the state within a few months.

cool critters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like a Gopher Tortoise. They are little digging machines. They are considered a Threatened Species and are protected. They can be a big problem on Construction Sites in Florida when they are found. Alot of Contractors don't know they are protected and have had to pay thousands of dollars in fines for killing large numbers of them by bulldozing their burrows. I had to remove about a half dozen of them from a jobsite in Orlando two years ago. The State gets pretty pissy when you mess with their habitat or the Turtles themselves.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

State law?  Federal?  Or Florida Fish & Game regs?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome!

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Looks like a Gopher Tortoise. They are little digging machines. They are considered a Threatened Species and are protected. They can be a big problem on Construction Sites in Florida when they are found. Alot of Contractors don't know they are protected and have had to pay thousands of dollars in fines for killing large numbers of them by bulldozing their burrows. I had to remove about a half dozen of them from a jobsite in Orlando two years ago. The State gets pretty pissy when you mess with their habitat or the Turtles themselves.

You cannot move them at all as of a year ago... don't get caught with your pants down.. it will be more than a few thou.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice job giving the tortose a drink of water.  We need more Compassion in this shit sucking world!! As as Fish and Game goes...I'll pay your fineif they nab you.
I have rescued a few turtles and tortose's over the years and if you have ever run one over they can blow out a tire and casue a wreck....I once  saved a couple hundred baby sea turtles that were being pecked to death by seagulls.  I called  Fl Fish and Game told them what I did and where at.  They said good job and then said that beach wasnt protected or on their list of tutrle nesting sites...Its protected now...

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cannot move them at all as of a year ago... don't get caught with your pants down.. it will be more than a few thou.

We had to take out a Relocation Permit through the State to remove them from the site. At that time it was legal but I know they were talking about tightening the restrictions on relocating them at that time. It was a big PITA with all of the requirements thay have for relocating them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Where there is a Gopher there is a RATTLER.... Your warned...E
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

no shit next time you see a gopher hole thatis abandoned roll a beer can with alittle gas down the hole. and be ready to melt the barrel on your shotgun when they come out

please dont do that it is illegal now to kill rattlesnakes in florida
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no shit next time you see a gopher hole thatis abandoned roll a beer can with alittle gas down the hole. and be ready to melt the barrel on your shotgun when they come out

I believe that only applies to snakes on state-owned lands.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

good cux them bastards keep killing my chcickens
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#31]
ever notice how everything thats on the "protected" list in florida was at  one time food for folks...and i mean like travel here just to eat manatee ribs or shit back in the 20's and 30's....

im just saying .......

gophers are cool, see them alot, not as much as before since all the homes are coming in, but as a kid we'd toss some lettuch in the yard and they come up and eat it. we'd get a few minutes of wacthing them and be happy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I LIKE TURTLES
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

good cux them bastards keep choking my chickens

I thought rattlesnakes were pit vipers, not constrictors.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#35]
that looks to be a male by the size of the shell or the photo is misleading to me. you can also tell by looking at the undershell also because the female has an curve near its tail. I learned that working at the MOSH for 3 years taking care of the turtles, snakes, and aligators..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
that looks to be a male by the size of the shell or the photo is misleading to me. you can also tell by looking at the undershell also because the female has an curve near its tail. I learned that working at the MOSH for 3 years taking care of the turtles, snakes, and aligators..

Pssst... slug-o, the MALE has the curve on his plasteron, that is there so he can mount an balance on the female to make the babies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#37]
One of my dogs has an unhealthy obsession with turtles and tortoises.  On one occasion, he actually picked up a smaller box type turtle and was "playing" with it.  Carrying it around the yard, licking it, rolling around on it.  It was pretty funny.

Here he is trying to figure out what to do with a gopher tortoise that's bigger than his head...keep in mind that in that picture, the dogs weighs about 92 pounds.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pssst... slug-o, the MALE has the curve on his plasteron, that is there so he can mount an balance on the female to make the babies.

I think your talking about the curve in the center of the belly right??? not the curve and the back of the shell....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Soup!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Nice job giving the tortose a drink of water.  We need more Compassion in this shit sucking world!! As as Fish and Game goes...I'll pay your fineif they nab you.
I have rescued a few turtles and tortose's over the years and if you have ever run one over they can blow out a tire and casue a wreck....I once  saved a couple hundred baby sea turtles that were being pecked to death by seagulls.  I called  Fl Fish and Game told them what I did and where at.  They said good job and then said that beach wasnt protected or on their list of tutrle nesting sites...Its protected now...

Hahaha
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#41]
The divot on the back of his shell indicates he might have run afoul of... I dunno. Something. Nice job looking out for it. Hopefully it makes it wherever it was traveling to.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#43]
This one comes out when we he hears the mower,Its like his personal salad shooter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I recommend M855, the steel core will help get through the thick shell.  I'm not sure about the effectiveness of M193 against that hard barrier.  Ah nevermind, To be on the safe side, just go with some 7.62x51.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I recommend M855, the steel core will help get through the thick shell.  I'm not sure about the effectiveness of M193 against that hard barrier.  Ah nevermind, To be on the safe side, just go with some 7.62x51.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#47]
I would gleefully pound the crap out of someone if I witnessed them maliciously kill a gopher.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I would gleefully pound the crap out of someone if I witnessed them maliciously kill a gopher.

"Check me if I'm wrong,
but if I kill all the golfers...
...they'll lock me up
and throw away the key."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top