Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 8:18:51 PM EDT
I just bought my first handgun and I'd like some instruction..

I'm not really interested in CCW at this point I'm not really confident enough with shooting accurately and handling my pistol..

Just basic handgun marksmanship and some hands on instruction.

I need some training to help me practice correctly...

I'm in the Denver boulder area and if someone could recommend a good class for a new shooter to take I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your first pistol.  

Give us the details, what make & caliber is it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Ohhh it's sweet.

It's a Grade 1 CPO P228 SigSauer. 9mm obviously.

It came with two mags and it is LNIB

I've got about 300 rounds downrange so far in three range trips.

I also have a Ruger Mk2 I borrow from my room mate to warm up a little before shooting the Sig.

I also have a Makarov but I guess I'm talking my First Name Brand pistol in a Modern widely availible cartridge.

So far my shooting with both the Mak and the Sig are 4-8" low and to the left of the x at about 17 feet (I decided to split the difference between 20 and 15ft.).

I seem to be slightly more accurate with the Sig in DA but I think that's because I'm not used to the SUPER light Sig SA trigger and I can take my time through the DA pull and it's fairly obvious where the hammer release is..... the SA on the sig will take some getting used to so I can anticipate that hammer release..... I had the same problem with my buddys 1911... scared the hell outta me... the trigger was just too light for me.. I like a deliberate pull I think.

Strange enough, Despite lots of complaints of a heavy DA pull on the marakov mine is smooth and only a small amount heavier than the Sig DA pull.. a Little longer than I'd like but light enough.

I've already had TONS of fun shooting even though I'm not the best shot with pistols.... I'm already Eyeing a Belgian HiPower to add long slide 9mm to the family.

Sure hope this good weather holds out some friends were planning on going up to the high country to go do some plinking.. I have an AK a Stack of mags and a crate of yugo surplus that have been waiting on a nice day to come out and play.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the web site at www.boulderrifleclub.com for classes in both basic pistol and/or personal protection. Welcome, and good luck!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
That you are not confident in your shooting skill is exactly why you should take a good pistol fighting course. It will make you MUCh more confident in yourself than endless marksmanship training.
Top Top