Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 9:25:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard, that the law doesn't really require they have a 51% sign, and if you are in the place, you can still be busted and nothing happens to the owner for not informing you as they aren't required to have the sign...

Go figure.

I think this was the case in Dallas at one of the bars.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the signage might not be great, but I'd make the assumption that pool halls make a lot of their money from the sale of alchohol... and thusly not carry there.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
TABC requires 51% locations post the sign.  However, it is not a defense for a CHL holder if he enters and the 51% is not placed.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I know somene that got busted and they didn't have a sign...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't know that place was there.  Figures...I move a bit farther out and all these places go in.  That would have been 5 minutes from my old house.  :(
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
The Texas law is:

B - A business with a liquor license or permit, which gets 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises, must conspicuously post a sign at each entrance, in English and Spanish, that it is unlawful for a CHL to carry a handgun on the premises.  The sign must be in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch high, with the number "51" in solid red at least five inches high. (see Art. 4413(29ee) Sec. 31).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes they are supposed to post a sign according to the law but unfortunately it is not a defense to prosecution for unlawful carry by a CHL holder.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Texas law is:

B - A business with a liquor license or permit, which gets 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises, must conspicuously post a sign at each entrance, in English and Spanish, that it is unlawful for a CHL to carry a handgun on the premises.  The sign must be in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch high, with the number "51" in solid red at least five inches high. (see Art. 4413(29ee) Sec. 31).

So.... if the sign is not posted and a CHL holder enters and is "caught", what are the repercussions?

It's hard for me to imagine that the CHL holder could be successfully prosecuted.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I think personally that some businesses may be using the 51% sign instead of a 30.06 sign.

I've seen several places that I would consider a restaurant rather than a bar that have 51% signs.

Always wondered if they might be using the 51% instead of the 30.06 so as not to alienate CHL holders. You know "We can't help it, it's the law" kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
you sure it was a 51% sign? some people confuse that with the "unlicensed posession" sign...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
My suggestion would be to either stay out of bars or not to carry in places that serve alcohol, sign or not.  I've followed that practice for almost 20 years now, and 51% signs don't even apply to me. Very little good and a whole lot of bad can come of it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Everything you want to know about Texas CHL code.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

Includes the Texas CHL code and TABC codes about 51% signage.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
i work in a restaurant inside a nightclub complex.  not really "inside", but adjacent and inside their gate.   we are required to post the sign because our liquor license is held by the club.  i always wondered if somebody could really get in trouble for carrying in the restaurant, but i assume they would be breaking the law by carrying inside the gate anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:29:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Some ppl think you cannot carry inside bars like at TGI Friday's... However, you can as they make more on food than alcohol sales...

I think its BS about the 51%-- they still serve alcohol... and people still can get drunk... and its up to the CHL holder to stay sober and keep his/her firearm secure from drunks...and others.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think personally that some businesses may be using the 51% sign instead of a 30.06 sign.

I've seen several places that I would consider a restaurant rather than a bar that have 51% signs.

Always wondered if they might be using the 51% instead of the 30.06 so as not to alienate CHL holders. You know "We can't help it, it's the law" kind of thing.

There was a new steakhouse in town that had a 51% sign when they first opened. I asked the mgr. about it one night, and he said 'better safe than sorry until we find out how much alcohol we serve'.  

Yeah, right. Another bunch of pussies that did not have the nads to put up a 30.06 sign.

About three months later I met some friends there for dinner. The first thing I spotted was a large vacant space where the 51% sign used to be. Evidently they were telling the truth.

I'm now a regular customer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I think a lot of these places put up the signs just because they receive them. They order a signage package made up for anywhere that serves alcohol and then just assume they need to put up every sign that they are given.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Some ppl think you cannot carry inside bars like at TGI Friday's... However, you can as they make more on food than alcohol sales...

I think its BS about the 51%-- they still serve alcohol... and people still can get drunk... and its up to the CHL holder to stay sober and keep his/her firearm secure from drunks...and others.

true, but a place like bennigans is often thought of being a restaurant wehn they usually have the sales associated with a bar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top