Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2005 1:19:59 PM EDT
Well, it's looks like a lot of persistence paid off and Racine Co. Line Rifle Club will be allowing the .50 BMG to be fired. There are stern restrictions but I think those of us who are members can deal with it. Here are some of the restrictions: (1) No semi auto fire, single shot, one at a time. (2) Shooting will be conducted on the 500 yard line from the first firing point. (3) Ball or match ammo only (4) Firing will only be conducted with a range officer, board member or NRA safety officer present. Now here is where those of us who want to fire a 50 there come in. I need members who are willing to help construct a "trap" around the impact zone on the first firing line on the 500 yard course. IM or email me if you would be willing to help or if you have any designs for a trap that could stop a stray 50. I have one idea involving timbers stacked up and embeded into the hill that would form a box around the impact zone.  I'm also gonna email FCSA and see if they can give me any ideas.  I have been messing around with some of the board members for a few months now getting on their case about the .50.  When two board members went to Madison last month to talk to the military, they took my ideas with them and I guess they liked it and they Military liked it also.  I do remember a few folks here that said it would never happen........................if I could only remember who they were...............lol!    No one can fire a .50 BMG at the club until the board gives the final say so!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, I'd like to see one of those.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Fulfilling number 4 will be interesting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Taz IM on the way.

By the way let me know the when and such and I'll help out if I can.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
timber wont stop a 50, and you will be replacing them in short order. Best bet might be some sort of timber  "box"  built into the impact area that contains good old fashioned dirt. How big does the 50 Cal impact area have to be size wise? I'm guessing bigger than the target carrier. For those of you that dont know the berms at  RCLRC are Fly ash capped with a thin covering of dirt.  WHich is one of the reasons they stoped allowing people shooting them there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
MisterPX, No. 4 won't be a problem because the 50 BMG's will only be fired probably on a Saturday or a Sunday on two occasions a month.  The club NFA guy WILL be there.  If you are NRA certified, you most likely will be able to monitor yourself........hopefully.  PHOTOMAN, check you IM also.   Hey Rugger, what do you think about  old truck tires surrounded by timber and dirt?  Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they stopped the 50 because the military had a Ma Deuce that was cooking off and it did some damage.  If you can't hit the black on at 500 yard target with a 20x scope on a 50cal, you have no business owning a 50cal.............IMHO!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Taz got yer IM and sent responce.

My only concern is what happens if somone comes out to shoot a 50 and the 25meter is already in use. I know normaly it's first come first serve so to speak, but if they only let you shoot them on spesific days or whatever that might create some problems.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
A 50 will zip right through a truck tire at that distance.  You could use truck tires in some sort of reinforcing role, problem with them using them is you dont have any consistancy they will be of different size and shape. Dirt or sand is still your best bet. You want something that can be replaced easily with out having to tear everything apart to rebuild it every year. If your heading this build up at the range you should really find out from the board members how big they want the impact area, they are ultimatly responsable. This will give you an idea of what is feasible to build, unless cost is no object. I personally think a box cut into the side of the hill, with timbers for walls and floor filled with alternating rows of sand bags would be the best way of a cost effective impact area.  I have some other ideas that would work really well. When palning for it few things you want to keep in mind. 1) the berm area washes out really bad 2) its going to take abuse from many different types of rifles over the year 3) if something goes wrong tis time they will never allow 50's again. So over build, and think the worst.  I'll PM you my cell number if you for any reason you might want to go out to the range and look it over.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]

My only concern is what happens if somone comes out to shoot a 50 and the 25meter is already in use. I know normaly it's first come first serve so to speak, but if they only let you shoot them on spesific days or whatever that might create some problems.....

Won't be any problems the 50 cal shoot will be on schedualed days...schedualed events take priority.  The people on the 25 would have to clear the range until the 50cal shooters are done.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to have access to some heavy duty ballistic info on the 50 BMG as far a penetration goes.  I think it would be relatively safe to assume that a standard match grade Hornady A-Max, Lapua or Barnes bore rider or even standard ball projectile would burry itself at least a foot if not a tad more into the berm.  I know I said the word assume but I think it's also an educated guess.  Once that projo slams into the berm, three fourth of it's total energy will go right into the berm even if it deflects off into the air.  These will also be level shots fired from the prone position which should give a good, straight on energy dump into the berm.  What I'm getting at is I don't think we have to construct a modern version of the Atlantic wall, just something relatively strong and that can withstand the elements.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would love to have access to some heavy duty ballistic info on the 50 BMG as far a penetration goes.  I think it would be relatively safe to assume that a standard match grade Hornady A-Max, Lapua or Barnes bore rider or even standard ball projectile would burry itself at least a foot if not a tad more into the berm.  I know I said the word assume but I think it's also an educated guess.  Once that projo slams into the berm, three fourth of it's total energy will go right into the berm even if it deflects off into the air.  These will also be level shots fired from the prone position which should give a good, straight on energy dump into the berm.  What I'm getting at is I don't think we have to construct a modern version of the Atlantic wall, just something relatively strong and that can withstand the elements.  

Taz what about contacting Barret? I'm sure they could give you some good info. And maybe even some ideas on what will and won't work.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll try to do that today........thanks!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think it would be relatively safe to assume that a standard match grade Hornady A-Max, Lapua or Barnes bore rider or even standard ball projectile would burry itself at least a foot if not a tad more into the berm.  

You might want to look a little more into that info.

This sight claims 8 feet of penitration.

This sight claims 4 feet of penitration into gel. "Designed for limited penitration"

3000+fps/600+grs/16,000 ft/lbs energy=Drop some 4" thick steel plates behind 10' deep of stacked and interlocked timbers, with 10' of stacked tires in front of that. Bury it all with sand and you are all set.

Call it overkill, but it will last a good long time.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI, the county has modified rules at the Marathon County Rifle Range, and 50 BMG is now allowed.  Exotic ammo (AP, etc) is, of course, prohibited.  

My only request: If I'm out there the same time, please let me take a couple shots :)
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A good way not to have the 50 at the RCLRC is to post our Biz on the internet !!this is for club MEMBERS only, and no one else do you feel the need to tell the whole world why dont you just keep your comments to yourself what are you trying to queer this before it happens! I hope this is not who I think it is,lets keep this to ourselves and not post any more on this untill its a done deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knock it OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im on the side of 50cal dont put me in a place were I have to go to the board and calm people down this info has not even been put out to the members yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think First I have been a member for 12years and on the board for 6 Im on your side I know your glad that the 50 is on its way back WE(the board) have been trying since day one to get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER THE GOVERMENT OWNS THE RANGE THEY PAY PEOPLE TO READ FORUMS LIKE THIS!

We dont need people showing up at the club with there 50 bmg tresspasing and shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets get it together  before we go off have cocked about the bullet traps and hours ect ect

Mark P
RCLRC
[email protected]

KEEP OUR BIZ OUR BIZ Belive me I know what Im talking about!!!

NUFF SAID?

Relax. The man is just trying to get suggestions and put a plan of action together.
I guess the government frowns on suggestions now. No harm no foul. You should not have chastized him in public like this, it not only makes you look like an ass, but it is VERY unprofessional for a "board member". That is what IM's are for.

Everyone knows the club is there. It is no secret.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
But not everyone knew about this topic.  Now there's a very good possibility that some numbnutz will start blasting away tommorrow. "cause it's ok, right".
I don't know who/how Taz heard this info, but it may seem that he wasn't suppossed to be telling everyone.  I heard some confidential info a couple weeks ago, but am I going around telling everyone?  Hell no.  Do most of you have any idea what I'm talking about?  Probably not, why?  because it's confidential.  

Taz, did they disperse with this info at the Sun. meeting?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
mp
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
/
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Mark, your AR15 settings are not accepting IM's
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#21]
For what it's worth, this was made public at the board meeting.  It would also help if everyone would re-read the very first post made by myself for this topic.  I NEVER said a NON-MEMBER could ever shoot at the club, let alone fire a 50 BMG.  I also NEVER said that anyone could start shooting a 50 BMG NOW.  THERE WILL BE NO SHOOTING OF ANY TYPE OF 50 BMG WEAPON UNTIL THE BOARD GIVES THE FINAL BLESSING.  I can't win for trying!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok  everone  lets start all over and  we will get it right. The 50 Cal can be alot of fun.
Top Top