Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/30/2011 4:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 4:49:49 PM EDT by Hippiewithguns]
I am going to be building a raised garden for my wife and looked at 6x6s at Lowe's today and choked. Given the size of the area it will cost a medium fortune to build. Do you guys know of any other options? I'm not set on anything in particular. Hell, if I can get my hands on old railroad ties cheap I'll be happy. Sore and tired but happy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:58:33 PM EDT
check out landscaping places that sell mulch and stone. They usually have stacks of them for their own contracts. They are usually pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:56 PM EDT
Landscape timbers were about 2 dollars last year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:49:51 PM EDT
Hippie, I have 5 ties I am not using. If you want them you can have them for free. Been trying to give them away for two years with no takers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:24:41 AM EDT
The GA power depot here lets me have all the decommissioned utility poles I want.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:14:52 PM EDT
I would not use railroad ties near a food garden. I'm pretty sure they are full of creosote which is a carcinogen?? Some people also have concerns about PT lumber near gardens but the risk is significantly less.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:10:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cade:
I would not use railroad ties near a food garden. I'm pretty sure they are full of creosote which is a carcinogen?? Some people also have concerns about PT lumber near gardens but the risk is significantly less.

Good point. I'll stick with the landscape supply possibility. As far as I know the current PT method shouldn't be an issue. The only other thing I can think of is masonry and that seems like a larger PITA. There is (was?) a decent sized bulk landscape place up 141 somewhere at one point. I'll see if they are still there the next time I am on that side of things. If I can't find anything I may just have to do it in phases.
Top Top