Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 1:16:49 PM EDT
A friend of mine and I were out Saturday night drinking beer, and eventually conversation drifted to the CCW legislation that passed...

He wants to interview some people who will be applying for their CCW license for a storyline...

I do not believe he is anti-gun, so here is a chance to stimulate some GOOD PRESS...

Any ideas???  Invite him to the October MODCC shoot???

I've sent some individual IM's to some of you to see who wants to participate in the interview process - but anyone is welcome (if you behave)... {grin}

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.. your call Cutter, but I have to tell you there was a shoot last year, maybe Knob Creek, that was ambushed by a "friendly" media type.
Seems they came in all smiles and friendly but when they aired the show it was most definitely anti-gun.
I do remember it was a german media group and there were machine guns at the shoot so if you want to look it up that might help.
See ya in October!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hmm.. your call Cutter, but I have to tell you there was a shoot last year, maybe Knob Creek, that was ambushed by a "friendly" media type.
Seems they came in all smiles and friendly but when they aired the show it was most definitely anti-gun.
I do remember it was a german media group and there were machine guns at the shoot so if you want to look it up that might help.
See ya in October!

Agreed...
Just got off the phone with Duke_Nukem and we'll handle this via phone interviews or some other venue besides the shoot...

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Cutter and I talked for awhile today and I think there are plenty of good reasons why we don't need the Associated Press to see this:

www.birch.net/~bano/pics/duke_another_mans_freedomfighter.JPG

I'm willing to meet with the guy and even take him shooting, but calling mass media attention to the existence of MODCC is not something that the organization needs right now.  I think we can all agree on that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I think a meeting somewhere other than the range is a much better idea. Not only the mutant ninja dukester but all the bayonetting and point blank fire into silhouettes might give the wrong impressions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently read an article in one the major gun mags(cant remeber which) that detailed how to prepare yourself before giving an interview so tha the reporter cant make you look bad. Might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I recently read an article in one the major gun mags(cant remeber which) that detailed how to prepare yourself before giving an interview so tha the reporter cant make you look bad. Might be worth checking out.

Hey, I just read that article tonight!  It's in this months Guns n Ammo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Never trust a mainstream member of the 4th estate.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I can do better than that.  I had lunch with Kevin Jameson last week, he's pretty much the premier Missouri firearms law attorney and he deals with the media all the time.  He literally wrote the book on Missouri weapons law, which I haven't finished reading yet (it took him 6 years to write it).  Kansas City local news interviewed him the day of the override and took footage of him firing a few shots with a .38, he deals with the media all the time.  If this AP guy gives me a call, I'll have Jameson give me an extensive briefing first.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recently read an article in one the major gun mags(cant remeber whichhat

I can do better than that.  I had lunch with Kevin Jameson last week, he's pretty much the premier Missouri firearms law attorney and he deals with the media all the time.  He literally wrote the book on Missouri weapons law, which I haven't finished reading yet (it took him 6 years to write it).  Kansas City local news interviewed him the day of the override and took footage of him firing a few shots with a .38, he deals with the media all the time.  If this AP guy gives me a call, I'll have Jameson give me an extensive briefing first.

yep, I'd say thats better
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
See, I'm not just a dorky guy who runs around in a ski mask with a drum mag.  I can actually be intelligent and respectable sometimes, especially if my career is involved.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know, I still think you're a dork.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#12]
"but calling mass media attention to the existence of MODCC is not something that the organization needs right now"

EXACTLY!

Maybe many of you haven't been witness to what reporters of both tv and print media are capable of. But I have, and on many different occasions.

And I'm not just talking about big media outlets here, but small local media as well. Recently it came pretty close to home with a very biased and volatile report. Can't really go into what it was about, but I can tell you that they ran the story on local tv without any verification of facts or any understanding of what they were talking about. In fact, they had their facts completely wrong, and seemed to be doing a malicous report based on what somebody else had told them.

Needless to say, there was no apology or attempt to set the facts straight.

So please, DO NOT start telling reporters about what we are doing, as I promise you it will only lead to bad things no matter your intentions.

I speak from experience.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
duke

i have had the distinct privilege of looking at your charming skimasked face on my desktop for about a week now--you are indeed a big ol dork

but we love you anyway

seriously though, glad you guys are on top of this thing and thinking
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Even with a 2 hour drive each way, if the 4th estate shows up at this public range - certainly a possibility - I'll evaporate.  Nothing ruins my enjoyment of a good day shooting any faster than some reporter showing up.

See you all there...

Jeff D.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Mute issue guys...

I spoke with Paul last night and he is in the process of accepting a new job as a Spokeman for the Missouri Republican party...

I asked him if his story would have be favorable, and he said yes...

He's on our side...

But it is all irrelivate at this point, because he will not be working for the A.P. much longer...

So everybody can relax...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top