Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2005 12:59:02 PM EDT
How easy to find are armadillos in Central Texas? I'm PCSing to Ft. Hood and found out they are non-game animals and can be taken anytime with a normal hunting license. I heard they are a delicacy and want to hunt/eat them, any info, thnx?

ETA: What should you use to hunt them .22, AR, or buy a .17 to get better range
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
They are easier to find than mice in a hay barn
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry not up on my texan yet

They are easier to find than mice in a hay barn

What exactly does that mean?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
they are all over the road (dead).
i have never looked for one but when out walking in the evening for any distance at all you can usually stumble upon one.  Just sit down for a minute and listen and you can hear them to them rustle in the leaves or dig.  Why do you want one?

You know they carry leprosy right?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
hay barns are full of mice you move a  hail of hay 3 or 4 mice run out (sometimes) when I was kid we hunted mice in Hay Barns with sticks
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why do you want one?
they're real good eatin
no, I didn't know that

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
some armadillos in south texas were found to carry leprosy supposedly that area was the only one known to have leper armadillos...... I have never considered eating one they are quite odd looking and have a peculiar smell.  My German Shep likes them on the half shell aged 3 days though if that helps
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do you want one?
they're real good eatin
no, I didn't know that

just say no  

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do you want one?
they're real good eatin
no, I didn't know that

They are real good eatin'?  What are you, part coon ass?  (That's our way of sayin' cajun you know)    

Possum on the half shell sauce piquante.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
spent time in South America
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
why hunt them?  grab a shovel and pace the highways
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How easy to find are armadillos in Central Texas? I'm PCSing to Ft. Hood and found out they are non-game animals and can be taken anytime with a normal hunting license. I heard they are a delicacy and want to hunt/eat them, any info, thnx?

You know feral hogs are also non-game animals and may be taken by any legal means, too?

Not sure, but they have GOT to taste better than armadillo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know feral hogs are also non-game animals and may be taken by any legal means, too?

Not sure, but they have GOT to taste better than armadillo.

I plan on taking those too, I really love small game (or non-game in this case) hunting but don't knock armadillo until you've had it. Imagine pork that is range fed and you have armadillo meat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Not trying to knock armadillo, just never tried it.  Hell, I'll eat almost anything once, if it's been properly cooked.  But isn't the armadillo a scavenger?  That's what makes me think twice....
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not trying to knock armadillo, just never tried it.  Hell, I'll eat almost anything once, if it's been properly cooked.  But isn't the armadillo a scavenger?  That's what makes me think twice....

they are diggers, they like worms, grub and bugs and such. Many a Texan ate "dillo" in the old days. Especially if you we out of powder or ball. You could catch'em by hand and roast'em over a fire. You eat it right out of the shell.
Dammed, makes me wanna go out in the backyard tonight
Welcome to Texas, a sight better than Utah

"Eat drink and be merry, cause tomorrow you may be in Utah"

Tooele Army Depot ...........man am I glad to be home
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Armadillos are easy to shoot.   What's fun is catching them by hand.  It can be done.  I had a friend back in the 70's who gave me quite an education on the critters and how to catch them.   They can't see very well but the have an exceptional nose.  If you approach from down wind and walk very, very slowly while it is rooting around you can get right up on them.   I've got a picture my brother took of me of an armadillo digging up some roots with me standing over it.   As I am getting ready to grab it it lifts it's face and the picture is taken.   It's on a highway somewhere west of Menard Tx.   The armadillo goes back to eating and with one hand I grabbed it's tail and one hand on the shell because they have a tendency to jump straight up.      But be warned, if they start running, forget it, you ain't gonna catch it.   They are fast.  

I have eaten quite a few after we caught them.   We hit them in the head with a hammer, then skinned them or deshelled them.  We then barbecued them.   They are good.   It's been a while but I believe if you shoot them you got to shoot them in the head because if you hit the shell you ruin the meat.   The ones we shot were shot with either a .38 or 9mm.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Why you wanna shoot that poor ol' dillo?

Kill a damn wild hog if you wanna get down.

Leave that dillo 'lone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#18]
How many Cajuns dose it take to an armadillo?

Three

One to eat and two to watch for traffic.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
We used to kill them and take them to the black pickers near my uncle's cotton farm.

They were appreciative and ate them.

I've never met a white person who ate one.

I'm sure they were quite edible and I saw no leprosy.

I also took the black pickers any carp I caught.

They were always very happy when I came in with a bunch of carp especially.

Shoot em with something that does the job. They can run around making the "Whoooooooo Whooooooo " sound if you don't kill em and it's creepy.

I shot one with a bow once.  Pinned him to the ground with a broadhead just behind his shoulder.

He was screaming "Whoooooo whoooo" for what seemed like forever.

Nasty little marsupial mothers with a shell
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
they are diggers, they like worms, grub and bugs and such. Many a Texan ate "dillo" in the old days. Especially if you we out of powder or ball. You could catch'em by hand and roast'em over a fire. You eat it right out of the shell.
Dammed, makes me wanna go out in the backyard tonight
Welcome to Texas, a sight better than Utah

"Eat drink and be merry, cause tomorrow you may be in Utah"

Tooele Army Depot ...........man am I glad to be home

Actually working at DCD as civilian still.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#21]
God I hope I never get that hungry.

Just promise us you won't go into the Louisiana forum asking for Nutria recipes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just promise us you won't go into the Louisiana forum asking for Nutria recipes.

I didn't know they were edible.   Are they?   I've seen quite a few at the area lakes.  

hhhmmmm......   I might have to look into that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know they were edible.   Are they?   I've seen quite a few at the area lakes.  

Supposedly, yes, but I hear they smell like ass when you're cooking them.

If you try it, maybe you better cook 'em outside.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Whoa COZ, sorry to inform ya but we have met, and I have ate dillo......., ofcourse you know Mikey.....

Mike
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa COZ, sorry to inform ya but we have met, and I have ate dillo......., ofcourse you know Mikey.....

Mike

Why?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Killed a ton of them with my .22 when I was a kid.  I don't see as many as I used to so I feel a little bad about it now.  Especially since I saw one digging in a Fire Ant mound a couple of years ago.  Maybe if we had a few more Armadillos ...

Anyway, we pretty much followed the rule that if you shoot it, you eat it ... so, I've eaten more than my share.  They are just like anything else, if it is young, it is pretty good eating -- especially when your Yankee and/or city boy friends are around.

If they are old, it is pretty much like chewing rubber bands.

My Dad had some hunters out one season and he had a bunch of different Hill Country animals cooked up for them.  This one fellow kept coming back for the Armadillo.  He really liked it and kept asking what it was.  When we finally brought out the shell, he puked for two hours.

People are funny, aren't they.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This one fellow kept coming back for the Armadillo.  He really liked it and kept asking what it was.  When we finally brought out the shell, he puked for two hours.

People are funny, aren't they.

I hate people like that because they are hipocrits (sp?). If it was going to make him physically ill it would have done so before you told him what it was.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#28]
You CAN eat damn near anything.

I've seen people eating iguana in Belize, squirill in Arkansas and cat in East Austin.

The question is, WHY would you want to eat a damn nutria or dillo when there is still a 99 cent value menu at Taco Bell.

You have to REALLY be starving to eat shit like nutria (rats) or dillos.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You CAN eat damn near anything.

I've seen people eating iguana in Belize, squirill in Arkansas and cat in East Austin.

The question is, WHY would you want to eat a damn nutria or dillo when there is still a 99 cent value menu at Taco Bell.

agreed....like I said earlier......why?  

Now, I did take the dead carcasses to people who would eat them, and they were very appreciative.

By the way, squirrel is pretty good eatin....kinda like rabbit...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Never eaten one, but I have shot dozens. They are pests, plain and simple. They fuck up my yard and flowerbeds. A scoped .22 rifle and a flashlight makes easy work of them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Where do you think the local Taco Bells get their meat? Can you say road kill?
LOL  
'Borg
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They are pests, plain and simple. They fuck up my yard and flowerbeds.

If they are in your yard, you have grubs.  Kill the grubs (diazanon works great -- if you can find it) and the Armadillos will go away.  Also, your yard will be healthier.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are pests, plain and simple. They fuck up my yard and flowerbeds.

If they are in your yard, you have grubs.  Kill the grubs (diazanon works great -- if you can find it) and the Armadillos will go away.  Also, your yard will be healthier.

We dont use anything other that Corn Glutin meal on the yard at the lake. I dont want to drink diazanon in the lakewater.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#34]
The dillos are everywhere in this area around Ft.Hood. I would not waste anytime trying to clean and cook one of the things. Rumour is they carry leprosy....although if this is true I should have caught it years ago as a kid chasing after dillos and pulling them out of their holes. They are fun to shoot though with a .22
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Your best chances of seeing armadillos are to drive around and look for road kill.  They like to come out after it rains.  Feral hogs make a fine meal, never heard about eating armadillos but it sounds like something a coon ass would eat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
We used to kill them and take them to the black pickers near my uncle's cotton farm.

They were appreciative and ate them.

I'm sure they were quite edible and I saw no leprosy.

I also took the black pickers any carp I caught.

They were always very happy when I came in with a bunch of carp especially.

Shoot em with something that does the job. They can run around making the "Whoooooooo Whooooooo " sound if you don't kill em and it's creepy.

I shot one with a bow once.  Pinned him to the ground with a broadhead just behind his shoulder.

He was screaming "Whoooooo whoooo" for what seemed like forever.

Nasty little marsupial mothers with a shell

Possum on the half-shell!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top