Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 12:06:30 PM EDT
I don't know about you guys but when I was growing up, about the coolest place I could think of to go to was Ark Surplus. My dad would take us there once or twice a year and we loved it.

Well, I drove there today just to peruse the offerings of what passes for surplus these days, and lo and behold, it's closing!

Big 50% off sale signs up and everything. They were closed today. I don't know how long they've been liquidating their stock.

So, where's another good place for me to pick up surplus odds and ends (BDU pants or the occasional pouch or bag)?

-----

UPDATE I just got off the phone with a fairly rude woman (hey, can't blame her, what's she going to lose, her job???) who said they'd been going out of business for SIX WEEKS now... And there isn't much left. Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What about the Joe's Army Navy stores?  I know the one in RO is closed (sniff) years ago, but there was one on Hoover and another one in Waterford?

You're right though, I used to LOVE Ark Surplus!  I bought my fisrt belt sheath for my first pocket knife there.  I still have it kicking around in a box, btw.  My parents would only take me there once a year or so.  Man, I'd spend FOREVER looking at stuff.  Remember the old field phones on the wall?  My friend and I used to talk about how awsome it'd be to get those!  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What about the Joe's Army Navy stores?  I know the one in RO is closed (sniff) years ago, but there was one on Hoover and another one in Waterford?

There is still Joe's Army Navy in Royal Oak, just not downtown anymore.  It's on Woodward between 13 Mile and 14 Mile.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is still Joe's Army Navy in Royal Oak, just not downtown anymore.  It's on Woodward between 13 Mile and 14 Mile.

I did a google locations for Joe's and I saw that, but all I ever knew was the one on Main.  How's the other one, is it ok?  Never been there
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a google locations for Joe's and I saw that, but all I ever knew was the one on Main.  How's the other one, is it ok?  Never been there

yea, its ok, not to bad, all of them are getting pretty comertial, but my buddie up there hooks me up so why not, were is this ark place you speak of?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems a bit smaller to me than the old one on Main.  I've only been there once, to pick up a couple of ponchos real quick.  They do have what looked like a decent section for BDUs, also saw the surplus pouches, etc.  Lots of knives, some airsoft stuff, the usual camping stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yea, its ok, not to bad, all of them are getting pretty comertial, but my buddie up there hooks me up so why not, were is this ark place you speak of?

It's in Clinton Twp on Gratiot right where it splits:

Ark Surplus
1351 S Gratiot Ave
Clinton TWP, MI 48036-3503
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't been there yet, but I noticed a new surplus store at 10 and southfield in a strip mall on the SW side of the intersection... Can't remember if it was Joe's or Harry's.

I like the Joe's up in Pontial (m59 and telegr.)

Dave
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I haven't been there yet, but I noticed a new surplus store at 10 and southfield in a strip mall on the SW side of the intersection... Can't remember if it was Joe's or Harry's.

Dave

That's Harry's.

I've probably been there 5 or 6 times since I've worked in Sfld... It's VERY hit-or-miss. I did find a nice MOLLE pouch there though for a very good price, and that's where I found some UnderArmor stuff on clearance. It whet my appetite for more - that's why I wanted to hit Ark and that's how this whole thread got started.

FWIW Harry's surplus has some nice rip-stop multicam ponchos on occasion. I picked one up, they had one left but it looked like it had been pulled out of the pouch and put back.

I'll have to take a look at Joe's on Woodward. I didn't realize they just moved. I figured they'd gone out of business!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

FWIW Harry's surplus has some nice rip-stop multicam ponchos on occasion. I picked one up, they had one left but it looked like it had been pulled out of the pouch and put back.

I'll have to take a look at Joe's on Woodward. I didn't realize they just moved. I figured they'd gone out of business!

Ohhh really? Which Harry's had the Multicam poncho? I am in need of one, Multiam would be a lot nicer than some used woodland POS!

Dave
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

That's Harry's.

I've probably been there 5 or 6 times since I've worked in Sfld... It's VERY hit-or-miss. I did find a nice MOLLE pouch there though for a very good price, and that's where I found some UnderArmor stuff on clearance. It whet my appetite for more - that's why I wanted to hit Ark and that's how this whole thread got started.

same harry's that is on tele and like 6 mile?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohhh really? Which Harry's had the Multicam poncho? I am in need of one, Multiam would be a lot nicer than some used woodland POS!

Dave

The 10 Mile and Southfield one.

FYI it's ripstop but don't expect some heavy duty poncho like, oh, the awesome heavy duty Flectarn Swiss one I got at Ark last year... don't want to get your hopes up!

Edit: I'm trying to find pics for you of the one I have but am coming up short.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

That's Harry's.

10 and Southfield.

They get some decent pouches in from time to time too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, there certainly isn't much left. Stopped by when I was in the area.

Few boots, camo fabric, netting, couple ponchos, some Elmer Fudd pants, few small knives and archery stuff.

The archery is probably the most they have left. A few boxes of slightly damaged bows for $10-50. Arrows, aim sights, scents, etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Huh!  I just discovered that place this past weekend, I was driving past it around 3am on a call to Mt. Clemens and pulled into the parking lot cause I saw the signs. Guess I won't bother going up there if they are pretty much cleaned out.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's on Telegraph just south of Ford Rd.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The BEST all time place was the old Army Navy store down on Telegraph in Erie. You could buy jeeps and APC's there too....it was the best.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

10 and Southfield.

Went there on Friday with CityWideClyde, wasn't impressed. Walked in the door to be greeted by Women's Jeans with an embroidered Butterfly on one leg. Very few pouches, most weren't USGI but they did have current (2005) MRE's. Mostly, they didn't have my MultiCam poncho
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

10 and Southfield.

Went there on Friday with CityWideClyde, wasn't impressed. Walked in the door to be greeted by Women's Jeans with an embroidered Butterfly on one leg. Very few pouches, most weren't USGI but they did have current (2005) MRE's. Mostly, they didn't have my MultiCam poncho

ack, bummer about the poncho. I went there on Thursday to get another and they didn't have it then so someone must have snagged it earlier.

As to the store itself, they're trying. I talked to the guys that work there and the report was that they've only been there about a year and are building their inventory and whatnot up. I do see that they've improved their stock of stuff (yeah it's mostly Dickies and junk for now) but they've beefed up the bags and it appears they're trying to get more .mil stuff as they can. *shrug*
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody remember Silverstines on 6 Mile and Mt. Elliot, in Detroit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Probably wayyyyyy before my time... When did it close?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My dad still fondly tells us stories of the stuff he'd find at Silverstines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top