Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 12:04:01 PM EDT
The wife has a job opportunity there.
Good housing under 250K?
County less than 250K residents meaning open carry is allowed and or CCW?
Would my neighbors be weed farmers or hard core hippies?
Is the drive from Sonora long and rough in the winter?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice area, but it truly is a mountain town.  The Sonora pass (north end of hwy108 near 395) closes in winter so the only exit out of that area would be to the south.  It's the kind of place that has those tall markers on the road so the snow plow can clear the roads.  It's in or near Deer Zone D-6, which is a madhouse during the season.  The Stanislaus National Forest is very nice.  I don't know about housing prices.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful area. Tall pines, they get lots of snow in the winter. It is a small town, very few permanent residents and LOTS of vacation cabins. The highway (108) is closed in the winter, usually just a few miles uphill from Mi Wuk around Cow Creek or Strawberry. So getting around in the winter can be tricky but the roads are well maintained and plowed regularly by CalTrans. The spring, summer and fall are absolutely gorgeous. Plenty of excellent trout fishing in the area. In the summer highway 108 can be heavily travelled by weekend campers on the way to Pinecrest. Pinecrest, while very heavily used by the flatlanders is beautiful in all seasons. The trip down the hill into Sonora is about 30 minutes in good weather. Sonora is almost unrecognizable to anyone who hasn't been there in a few years. Growing rapidly.

Now the bad parts. The hills are generally occupied by very nice, friendly people. As usual there are a few exceptions to the rule who fuck it up for the rest of us. You MAY run into some rare assholes. I have heard that there may be a bit of a crank problem up in them thar hills. Users and cookers. Just telling you what I have heard from friends who live in Sonora so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Good info thanks. I always wondered who is setting up shop
in the "hills" in the remote mountains of CA.
Oh, and thank you Paul
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top