Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2016 1:45:48 AM EDT
My uncles and brothers and I usually go to WY every year to shoot prairie dogs on the same few ranches. However, we haven't been for a couple of years now.

We are considering a change of location, namely around Havre, MT... if there are prairie dogs there anyway.

I'm hoping someone up in the area can tell us if it would be worth the trip or not. We usually just knock on doors when we try new places and have never had a hard time finding a place to shoot this way.

Any info/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're coming across from WA on US 2, pretty much everything to the East of Glacier is infested with some form or another of varmint. Prairie dogs, moles, rabbits, and even coyote and the occasional skunk, porcupine, etc. all across the "high plains" region. I just recommend you wait until you pass through the reservation before asking. It's all farm and ranch country, and they have no love for the little pests.

One thing you will encounter on occasion is the "ya ain't from 'round here" mentality. Even I get it despite being Montana born and raised and living in the "hi-line" area for a decade. Because I'm from a different part of the State, I'm still an outsider to some of them. The closer you are to Havre, the less you will get of this, but as you get out towards the smaller towns further away from it, they have a little distrust for people they don't know.
The one other thing to expect is to be talked to by Border Patrol. Much like the locals, they notice when something is new or out of place. My cousin married a guy who is originally from a little town to the east of there. Even he gets stopped when he goes back to visit, because his license plates are from Helena. It won't be a problem, the agents are all decent people, just don't be surprised when they want to talk.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't worry about that too horribly much.  The amount of Washington license plates in the area would surprise you.  There are some good dog towns to the south in Big Sandy.  East of havre between Chinook and havre just a little wayspast the county line is an ok dog town but I've noticed when I've shot there that they re pretty smart and you need to take them from long range.  West of Havre and a bit southwest of Chester is another dog town that is pretty good.

Have fun, be polite and don't drive in the middle of anyone's field.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If you open a gate to go thru close it behind you.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, we understand the etiquette completely. We are always respectful of the land owners property and terms of use. We have been doing this for quite some time and have never had any trouble or negative feedback.
Thanks for tips.

At this point we are more concerned about prairie dog numbers. It does sound there are quite a few towns in the area though.

I appreciate the comments here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I was born and raised in Havre. There are a lot of prarie dog colonies on the way up to Canada. I grew up on a small horse ranch and, sadly, we had no prarie dog colonies.

A lot of the farm kids do it for fun in the summer so you might have a hard time finding anybody who will let you on their turf as they want to save it for themselves.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The porcupine infestation in the Shelby area is pretty insane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top