Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2005 5:58:46 AM EDT
I'm trying to plan a trip to SD for some pheasant hunting this October.  I've never been further west than Salina, Kansas.   I have no idea where to locate a place to stay and hunt.  I'm hoping for a 4 or 5 day hunt.  Does anyone have land they would be interested in working something out on?  I don't expect to hunt for free but I can't afford the $400/day that I've seen some ask.  

I'd be more than happy to hunt with some locals and will bring along my Barrett (and ammo) and tell my brother to bring along his 50BMG as well to offer some big bore fun to anyone able to help out.

Please PM or email and we can work out the details.

Thanks for looking!

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:19:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My cousin's husband is a hunting guide and they also run a bed and breakfast  for the hunters.  My Dad goes down there every year and has a blast.  I'll get his e-mail and get it to you.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem with phesant hunting in SD is that it's "almost" all farmed out.

Every farmer who has some decent hunting land has become a "hunting guide".

You won't find any "free" opening day hunting in SD unless you own the land, are a relative or a connected local. Opening day in SD is booked a year in advance.

However, if you go in mid November, after the rush, you can find some decent hunting without spending your children's inheritance.. but you had better be prepared to party down with the locals...

Once again.. I recommend Miller SD.. dead nuts in the middle of the best phesant hunting in the world.

I suggest you contact the Dew Drop Inn in Miller, make a mid November reservation and tell them you would like to make some hunting contacts but that you would like to avoid the expensive outfitters.

Next Stop.. Turtle Creek Saloon in Miller. Stop in at noon the first day you arrive, eat lunch and start asking around for places to hunt that are affordable. Be friendly and you're in. Being a nice guy is a good thing in SD, they all like nice people. Also.. troll the other 3 bars in Miller, if they are open. Yep.. a town of 1200 people has 4 bars when hunting is in full swing...  Bars are the best places to make hunting contacts in South Dakota.

Always go out with a local who has permission to hunt the land and and never go out on your own because you "will" get busted for trespassing. Since Pheasant hunting has become an industry out there most of the farmers and ranchers are very protective of their birds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Once again.. I recommend Miller SD.. dead nuts in the middle of the best phesant hunting in the world.

my cousin owns a lodge between Miller and Kimball. They offer discounted hunting packages. Check em out and tell them Tim sent ya.

www.dakotawildwingslodge.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top