Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 2:58:26 PM EDT
I'm thinking about trying a first build, and would love some assistance.  Im in Charlottesville, anyone close?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm gunna bump this back up.  Anyone, anyone?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I might make the trek up from Norfolk if you get a build together.  I am on my second build, and have no idea how to do the "barrel press" step without professional tools.

Any helpful suggestions out there?
Thanks, Rich
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ironically I found someone in Norfolk who knows what he is doing, I just dont have a car that will make it to norfolk to go build there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
anr6t, I am in Orange, I could probally get you down there. I just have to pick up a kit and other compliance parts. When could we get together?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to try and put together a kit tomorrow with another first time builder more handy then myself, but I doubt we will be succesful...anytime is good for me really.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in norfolk, if anyone needs help with a build and can make it down here, IM me and let me know, if I am not mistaken, arnt6 is referring to me.  ANYONE who needs help, let me know, we might be able to schedule a build day.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I didnt want to volenteer you, so I didnt put your name, but yeah, i was refering to you saigaswitcher.  Did you get the IM I sent you?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I am up for a build party.

I am looking for an AK-74 kit.

I saw a few AK-47 kits at the Hampton gun show.  Planning on going to the Richmond gun show Mar 4-5, hopefully there will be some there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Last show I went to in Richmond  (Jan 14th I think) there were only 2 dealers with kits at the show - Ammunitionstore.com cheapy Yugo underfolders for $89(which I'm kicking myself for not buying more then 1...) and some guy selling beat looking rommys for $140 and polish underfolders with no extras for $230ish.  I remember wishing I saw more AK building stuff there.  Hopefully Mar 4-5 will be different.

Quoted:
I am up for a build party.

I am looking for an AK-74 kit.

I saw a few AK-47 kits at the Hampton gun show.  Planning on going to the Richmond gun show Mar 4-5, hopefully there will be some there.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking to be a first-time builder and i'm gonna be at the march show in rich., can hopefully pick up a kit, anyone know a good place to get receivers cheap, or is willing to order them? i'd definitely be willing to drive from blacksburg to get one and also to get to a build party if theres one in the charlottesville area. thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in norfolk and have done1 screw build of a romy.  It wasnt easy and when I was done I found that the feed ramp on my trunion was too worn out for my bullets to feed.  Luckily I had a couple extra barrells in trunions and was able to use one to finish the gun, but the part #'s no longer match.  I have one more receiver left and if there is going to be a build party in Norfolk, I'll order another kit, cause I'd love to learn more.  Have any of y'all done a rivet build?  I'd like to make my second home built AK alot more special than my first
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm south of Charlottesville. Bedford, between Lynchburg and Roanoke. I would love to build my first kit, but I've got no tools, and no real idea where to start outside of buying the actual kit. Damn...I'm pretty lame.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I do rivet builds in norfolk, if anyone would like to get together for a build, all you have to do is IM me.  I have everything needed to build from either a 100% receiver, or a flat that you bent up, I do not have a flat bending jig.  

Chris
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#16]
While we're talking about AK builds, does anyone in central VA have a muzzle brake threading die (14x1 LH threads) and a 7.62 pilot ? I'd like to thread my 2000 SAR-1.
I'd like to sit in on an AK build party for the experience if possible.
If it comes down to a very local build party, I've got a good drill press and vice available,but none of the other tools.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
TAG: I have been wanting to do it, but have no idea what I am doing (can't weld and couldn't use a press). I would be willing to bring beer and food if there is a build party!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Poodleshooter, you think RRPC would let us do a build party in the clubhouse/at the benches by the skeet range/at the tables at the plinking range?  I'm just finishing my first build up, should be shooting it on saturday, it really wasnt all that hard(although it hasnt been fired yet...)

Quoted:
While we're talking about AK builds, does anyone in central VA have a muzzle brake threading die (14x1 LH threads) and a 7.62 pilot ? I'd like to thread my 2000 SAR-1.
I'd like to sit in on an AK build party for the experience if possible.
If it comes down to a very local build party, I've got a good drill press and vice available,but none of the other tools.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Poodleshooter, you think RRPC would let us do a build party in the clubhouse/at the benches by the skeet range/at the tables at the plinking range?  I'm just finishing my first build up, should be shooting it on saturday, it really wasnt all that hard(although it hasnt been fired yet...)

I'd think that they wouldn't mind since RRPC is very black rifle friendly. However, I'd send an email to Dave Durrer (club president and a really good guy) asking about it and clarifying what you want to do.  I'm not sure that much in the way of actual assembly could be done at Rivanna (tack welding of rails,bending of flats,etc) but I'm sure that final assembling of screw or rivet builds or just swapping info and parts would be cool.
Dave's email and phone contact info is in the March Rivanna newsletter (now available at the website).

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Welding probably not, but I could bring my press to RRPC if someone has a bending jig.  Is your drill press/vice mobile?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd love to get in on a Norfolk build party too. I'm on the Peninsula...so just let me know when and where. I want to build my first kit rifle, but really would like to have an expert around when I screw up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm in Cville, If anyone has tools in Cville that would be cool, I'm very familiar with building
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Welding probably not, but I could bring my press to RRPC if someone has a bending jig.  Is your drill press/vice mobile?

My drill press is not really mobile. It's a 100# table mount Delta that's tall enough to be a floor mount for a midget.
My basic drill press vice for securing work under the chuck is portable. I've got some generic soft jaws for it as well. Dimensions on the vice are: 4" wide,jaws are 4" long and 1" throat depth.

I need to review the build threads on the AK board to see what other tools might be useful. I don't even know what I don't know yet.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I actually just took my first build to the range today and it worked  flawlessly.  Seems like everyone who needs help building them is in norfolk though lol.  Anyone have any refinishing experience?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#25]
i will drive pretty far to make some guns  :)  Only thing is i am wanting to bend flats...  Sounds like there is no one yet who mentioned they can help with that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top