Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 10:36:56 PM EDT
YES, Buffalo is my favorite!!!!  But a buddy has a shoot tomorrow at:
X-Line Gun Club, 4800 E Exline Club Rd, Kankakee, IL 60901
I was going to go too.  Anyone been there?  Is it good, etc?  Any insight would be great...thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been, but I was talking to a guy at Mega Sports the other day who was tellin me about it.
I guess they shoot 3 gun and "combat pistol" (not sure if that means IDPA or IPSC).
If you find out anything maybe post it. I'm always looking for clubs that host local competition.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag.  Sounds cool.

God forbid there be a place in IL  where you can actually practice drawing form a holster and the art of combat shooting!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tag.  Sounds cool.

God forbid there be a place in IL  where you can actually practice drawing form a holster and the art of combat shooting!

Little bit of a drive for you & I but I recall Sportsman's up in Winthrope Harbor (spitting distance to WI) allows holster usage on their indoor range.

Off subject,

Don't about you guys but I at one time tried to vist every gunshop in the suburban Chicago area. I'm sure I missed a few. A couple months ago I finally got a chance to visit Shore Gallery. I'd heard they turned their nose up at civilian sales but after chatting with a few of their employees I found out that they are trying hard to do away with that image. I had one employee ask me if I was a LEO, I said "no, I work for a living" and smiled. Turns out he was a LEO and got a good laugh out of my answer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Shore Galleries has awesome prices on ammo, especially XM193- something like $150 per 1000 IIRC!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Shore Galleries has awesome prices on ammo, especially XM193- something like $150 per 1000 IIRC!

That's getting within $35-$40 of Wolf!!!!

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anyone that can confirm this?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone that can confirm this?

Call them and find out.  This was several months ago, but their prices were outrageously good at the time.  My credit card statement was $343 for 2,000 rounds and that included tax.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, update on X-line.  I should have clarified, I didn't go to a "shoot" like a 3 gun match, we were invited to shoot at the range.  Well, it turned out to be a VERY COOL PLACE.  I'll try to describe.  Their range was like a cross between Buffalo's rifle range and a hint of the pit.  Let me explain.  Picture Buffalo's rifle range, but you were able to set up bowling pins (which they have about 50 of) and non metal or glass targets.  It's about 15 "stalls" wide, and around 150 yds deep.  At about 30 yards, there is about a 4 ft dirt berm you can set up pins, etc on, but you could place targets/pins anywhere from 15 ft to the end at 150 yds.  At the end, they have a table you can set pins on for "long range sniping...lol.  This IS NOT a place you would bump fire or do crazy rapid fire.  More of a "chillin" vibe.  The people I meet were VERY friendly.  The grounds are well maintained with a nice club house area.  It was easy to call cease fires to reset up targets/objects, etc.  There were RO's present, but not breathing down your neck at all.  Overall, a GREAT time.  It was very fun blasting pins from 10-150 yds.  It was cool to see an object far away drop like that.  
I will call them to get more details, but I was told every 3rd Sunday they have a "combat" shoot, sort of a scaled down IDPA type thing. Right now I don't know about prices, etc., because we were guests of someone.
So, yes, Buffalo, is still great, but this had a cool different vibe were I will go back again.  This joint is not a free for all, but yet, you could still do a lot.  I shot about 1000 rds today, 800 rifle and 200 handgun.  Again, it was very gratifying to zero in on your target and knock it down without it sounding like WWIII.  As I get more details, I will post.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
What're range fees?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]

What're range fees?
 For us it was free for the day  I'm not sure if it is where you have to join as a member, or if they allow "per day" pricing.  All the 'head guys' were doing a skeet shoot, so me and the other peons were just blowing up bowling pins and I didn't have a real chance to talk to them  Like I said, once I get the info (fees, season length, hours, etc), I shall post.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#11]
The price for XM193 has gone up at Shore.  It was 150 until Federal increased their price. Now its around 219/1,000...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What're range fees?
 For us it was free for the day  I'm not sure if it is where you have to join as a member, or if they allow "per day" pricing.  All the 'head guys' were doing a skeet shoot, so me and the other peons were just blowing up bowling pins and I didn't have a real chance to talk to them  Like I said, once I get the info (fees, season length, hours, etc), I shall post.

K9COPPER,
Could you also find out what day of the month they shoot there 3 gun matches? They are getting hard to find. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Could you also find out what day of the month they shoot there 3 gun matches? They are getting hard to find. Thanks.
 Brass, will do!  Unfortunately, unlike Buffalo, it seems like technology has not caught up with them yet...lol.  It is so cool that Buffalo has a web site and that you and Sig are on here, makes it much more easy to contact.  To me, X-Line appeared to be mostly skeet shooters around retired age, not that there is anything wrong with that.  But lets put it this way, when myself and my friend were shooting the AR's, we got some looks like "what in tarnation are those"...lol  So if we had about a crew of ten of us, I think we would scare them!  So I will see what info I get off the phone and if they can mail me out a schedule, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#14]
You guys, when you go to a range, take the camera and take some pics to give us all a perspective of what the range looks like.  I realize that people, for the most part, don't want to have their pics taken, and posted on the internet, but pics of just the range itself, if possible would be nice to see.   I realize that some pictures are posted in the pic archive, but lots of the ranges, both indoor and out, aren't represented, and few have their own websites.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The price for XM193 has gone up at Shore.  It was 150 until Federal increased their price. Now its around 219/1,000...

Bummer.  Glad I stocked up when I did...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Brass, will do!  Unfortunately, unlike Buffalo, it seems like technology has not caught up with them yet...lol.  It is so cool that Buffalo has a web site and that you and Sig are on here, makes it much more easy to contact.  To me, X-Line appeared to be mostly skeet shooters around retired age, not that there is anything wrong with that.  But lets put it this way, when myself and my friend were shooting the AR's, we got some looks like "what in tarnation are those"...lol  So if we had about a crew of ten of us, I think we would scare them!  So I will see what info I get off the phone and if they can mail me out a schedule, etc.

If those geezers are hosting a 3 gun match once a month I guarantee that they have seen a few Ar's before. Maybe it is the younger members that are putting on the match. I just talked to the owner of the range. They are open on Tues. night from 5-10pm, Fri. night from 5-11pm and the second Sun. of every month from 9-4pm. I will give them a call tomorrow night and see if this Sun. thing is a 3-gun match!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll second what K9 said:

Not many folks there had seen the ARs before.

We were asked a couple times if we were with the military.  That was pretty funny :)

I'll also agree with what K9 said about the two ranges (X and Buff.).  Bit of a different feel at both, and I like them both equally.  Just depends on what kind of day you want to have I guess.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool, it sounds like Brass is volunteering to do my leg work...thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Cool, it sounds like Brass is volunteering to do my leg work...thanks

I got a number from the 12th guy I have talked to from this club to call about three gun. As of now he has not returned my call. They are shooting some kind of tactical match on Sun. the 21st is all I know at this time. What I would suggest is that anyone wanting to give three gun a try to plan on going to Polo on the 28th of this month. It is a laid back match along with being very good. Here is a link to the range. I would really enjoy going to a match with some of you guys!

www.tcgc.net/
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got a phone call from X-line. They do not shoot 3 gun matches.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Was a member back in the mid-90's. They had a lot of Trap shooting going on back then and the r/p range was about to be renovated. They had some trouble with noise abatement from a new sub-division complaining at the time, so I believe the centerfire range had to be re-engineered.

Since the trap was the most popular activity, they would have to close down the r/p range for safety reasons, as I guess the two activities could not occur simultaneously.

They are a great bunch of guys. They have a real nice deluxe clubhouse, and lots of social opportunities there as well(at non-shooting times, of course). At the time in the 90's, the r/p range-keeper, Jerry, allowed rapid-fire, which I guess is an issue at some ranges. No stuffiness there.

Haven't been there since dropping from shooting sports several years back. Glad to hear them mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Am I reading right-you can only shoot two evenings and one weekend day per month?

Might be hard to work around that....

Larry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top