Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 11:03:44 AM EDT
People have played around with different ways of NOT making an AW out of our new lowers:  fixed-mag, no pistol grip, or rimfire uppers (this last one’s a gray area, I know).  I haven’t seen the idea of disabling the gas system discussed.  This would basically turn the rifle into a bolt action, requiring manual cycling with the charging handle before each shot.  In other words, it’s not a semi-auto.  Anyone do this?  Seems this could be another option to get around the deadly combination of:

Semi-Automatic + Centerfire + Accepts Detachable Magazines + At Least One Evil Feature

Might not be the best of the options available, but it wouldn’t be too bad for a bench gun.  This should be legal, no?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be legal, yes.

I believe that's how people are doing AK builds.

The bolt action AR is the only way that I know of that shooters in Great Britian manage to keep theirs.

ETA you should visit the Hometown - United Kingdom boards. Some nice weapons there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, now THAT"S a good idea!!!!  Thank you.  

Consider also, I already own an upper with BOTH a bolt handle on the bolt carrier AND an adjustable gas system that can be turned OFF with the appropriate allen wrench.  I guess I am in BUSINESS.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh, now THAT"S a good idea!!!!  Thank you.  

WTF?

If you want a bolt-action military rifle, you can pick up a Mosin-Nagant at Big 5 for $80.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You see, I have this fantastic upper sitting in my safe that has no matching lower....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Be careful.

California banned the DPMS pump action AR in 2000 (it's a listed model) because their reasoning was all you need to do is swap uppers and the world will cease to exist.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Be careful.

California banned the DPMS pump action AR in 2000 (it's a listed model) because their reasoning was all you need to do is swap uppers and the world will cease to exist.

Good point.  Absolutely, this is a very risky grey area. Run, don't walk, away.

Do remember that DOJ standards for certification/approval are often higher than the legal standard for legality. (Vulcan pinned/glued-in mags, etc. for example.)   But the contention can (and would) be easily made that a detachable-mag lower with pistol grip and/or telestock is an AW.
This is why my FAQ says to NEVER have an off-list lower with pistol grip and/or telestock but an open magwell.

There is a small chance you could slide legally if and only if the pump upper was attached to the
lower and never removed but that's still playing with fire.

Frankly, I wouldn't even do this with a DOJ approval letter.  This is where the "58 DA" thing could get some exposure (esp as it's not protected by a Supreme Ct decision).   Only if you got a true formal ruling letter  (opinion letter) signed by AG (fat chance!) would such a document have any merit.

This is much different with an off-list bolt or pump-action AK.  There, we have an "all in one" gun that is not split into upper & lower halves.  When no gas system installed and gas port closed, it's legitimately not a semiauto rifle, thus falling out of 12276.1 definition...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Who said anything about a detachable mag?  Not I.

What I could do is put a decent pistol grip on my off-list, fixed mag lower with it's bolt action upper and not violate the AW law.  I could even replace the push pins with bolts requiring tools to remove so the uppers are not swappable.  That way I can add the proper grip to my off-list lower and not have to wait, hoping my lower gets "listed".
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who said anything about a detachable mag?  Not I.

What I could do is put a decent pistol grip on my off-list, fixed mag lower with it's bolt action upper and not violate the AW law.  I could even replace the push pins with bolts requiring tools to remove so the uppers are not swappable.  That way I can add the proper grip to my off-list lower and not have to wait, hoping my lower gets "listed".

Why, then, go to the wasted trouble of having a bolt action?

You have a fixed 10rd mag, so you can have a pistol grip and be semiauto.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Should be legal, yes.

The bolt action AR is the only way that I know of that shooters in Great Britian manage to keep theirs.

ETA you should visit the Hometown - United Kingdom boards. Some nice weapons there.

I am sooo glad I dont live in the UK. If I the only option I had was one of their bolt action ARs, I'd quit shooting altogether.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Should be legal, yes.

I am sooo glad I dont live in the UK. If I the only option I had was one of their bolt action ARs, I'd quit shooting altogether.

If all you ever shot or wanted to shoot was an AR you should quit shooting completely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top