Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2010 10:03:57 AM EDT
Finally got the roof fixed on my old corvette coupe.  Looking to take a nice ride with the top down...

Can anybody suggest some good curvy, scenic, roads in northern virginia?  The higher the speed limit the better..

I was thinking of running the GW parkway, but I've heard theres a lot of construction.

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
route 193 Georgetown pike between 123 in Mclean and route 7 towards Drainsville is not bad when there is no traffic to hold you up.  Real early on a Sunday morning has been fun but most other times traffic is so bad it is can be a parking lot.  I drove up to Harpers Ferry a few years ago and that was fun.  Rt 15 between Leesburg and Warrenton use to be nice but they are building up a lot out there.  GW parkway is not bad early in the morning on the weekend.  I've got a 69 Chevelle SS with a 427.  I haven't turned the radio on in years.  David
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Take the airport toll road to Leesburg, then Rte.7 to Rte 9. Take a right at the first light onto 662 to Waterford, then 681 to Lovettsville. Stop for a soda, then south on 287 back to old Rte 7. Turn left, go through Hamilton, then right on 704 to Rte 15. Go north on 15 back to the toll road, and back home.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
"I was thinking of running the GW parkway, but I've heard theres a lot of construction."

Most is posted at only 40 or 50 MPH.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't drive fast on the road (IIRC it's a 25 or 35 mph speed limit), but one of the most beautiful drives in Northern VA is the Sinckerville Turnpike which runs from Rt7 near Blumont to Rt 50 near Aldie.

Snickerville Turnpike Association
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Take the airport toll road to Leesburg, then Rte.7 to Rte 9. Take a right at the first light onto 662 to Waterford, then 681 to Lovettsville. Stop for a soda, then south on 287 back to old Rte 7. Turn left, go through Hamilton, then right on 704 to Rte 15. Go north on 15 back to the toll road, and back home.

Honk when you pass my place.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't drive fast on the road (IIRC it's a 25 or 35 mph speed limit), but one of the most beautiful drives in Northern VA is the Sinckerville Turnpike which runs from Rt7 near Blumont to Rt 50 near Aldie.

http://www.snickersvilleturnpike.org/map.gif

Isn't that a little too twisty for an "old Corvette coupe"?  

It's a great road.  My other favorite (not really NOVA but not that much further) is Route 33 from Harrisonburg going into WVA.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.snickersvilleturnpike.org/map.gif

Isn't that a little too twisty for an "old Corvette coupe"?  

It's a great road.  My other favorite (not really NOVA but not that much further) is Route 33 from Harrisonburg going into WVA.  

Not NOVA either, but Rt. 39 from Lexington VA to the WVA line (and over the hill into WVA) is a great drive.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Do they still cruise the "strip" in Manassas ?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
route 193 Georgetown pike between 123 in Mclean and route 7 towards Drainsville is not bad when there is no traffic to hold you up.  Real early on a Sunday morning has been fun but most other times traffic is so bad it is can be a parking lot.  I drove up to Harpers Ferry a few years ago and that was fun.  Rt 15 between Leesburg and Warrenton use to be nice but they are building up a lot out there.  GW parkway is not bad early in the morning on the weekend.  I've got a 69 Chevelle SS with a 427.  I haven't turned the radio on in years.  David

I probably should have mentioned I live in Arlington...  so the closer to that the better.

I made the drive out old dominion today and took the georgetown pike back.  Very pleasent drive.  The speed limit was much lower than I remember.  I thought it was at least 45-50, and it turned out to be 40.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

And a gratuitous shot of my "old corvette coupe".

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I like driving Rt 50 out past Rt 15 into middleburg, and places like that. Lots of back roads to drive around too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
There are some scenic and curvy roads on the South side of Ox Rd. They're short, but there are a lot of them and there are big houses with lots of horse fields.  Pope's Head Rd. is fun too.  And not a lot of police from my experience, so the 35 speed limit is more like 55 if you can drive.

ETA: Nice 'vette
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do they still cruise the "strip" in Manassas ?

I remember when I was in Highschool in the 90's cruising up and down Matthis Ave.  It actually made it into car and driver as one of the most popular cruise strips in the nation at one point.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Mathis Ave was still popular when I was in highschool (2003 grad). Its not so much anymore I don't think. Although Nathan's is good icecream.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mathis Ave was still popular when I was in highschool (2003 grad). Its not so much anymore I don't think. Although Nathan's is good icecream.

Any of you 2 OP grads ? '92 here
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you really looking for a serious twisty road in NoVa?  Take I95 South to Quantico.  Exit Route 619 at Quantico.  Head West.  Its 9 miles of pure twisted bliss.  Watch out for deer and motorcycles.  Its not the most scenic in the state.  All you can see are trees.  There are no landscapes nor overlooks.  Its just a phenominal road for the driver who can handle it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#16]

A pretty nice drive is Rt 50 from Middleburg to Winchester, and then come back Route 7 and take Snickersville Turnpike off of 7 (Bluemont) to Rt 50.  You can make a shorter loop by taking Rt 50 from Middleburg to Route 255 through Millwood, 255 to Route 340, Route 340 to Route 7, and Route 7 to Bluemont/Snickersville Turnpike.  That road back through Millwood between 50 and 340 is a nice drive, I cut through there all the time just because it is a nice drive.  There are some other connector roads out here like 601 along Mt Weather and 621 along the river that are nice, but slower pace.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Kline's is better.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Elizabeth (Masonic) Lodge #34 Shine & Show Before The Snow annual car show held at the Khedive Shrine Temple in Chesapeake .  This year it will be 9 OR 16 October.  Bring it out, have a great time for a great cause and let everyone see 'er.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you really looking for a serious twisty road in NoVa?  Take I95 South to Quantico.  Exit Route 619 at Quantico.  Head West.  Its 9 miles of pure twisted bliss.  Watch out for deer and motorcycles.  Its not the most scenic in the state.  All you can see are trees.  There are no landscapes nor overlooks.  Its just a phenominal road for the driver who can handle it.

^^ this.  locals call it rollercoaster road. both the C3 and C4 love it at around 60 - 65 mph....
I haven't taken the Z-28 autocross car down it yet

also watch for folks in your lane on blind corners...
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any of you 2 OP grads ? '92 here

Osbourn City, class of '95
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top