Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2005 1:28:33 AM EDT
Any State Constables around?  I have an application mostly filled out, but I'm a little confused on the section where you enter information of a department that you will be working with.  Am I to understand that one must first find a local PD/SD that will allow you to augment them, and then you send in the app and eventually get the required training?

I assumed that SLED would provide departments requiring manpower with names of Constables as opposed to the individual having to locate a dept that can use them.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You unfortunately assume wrong.  It is up to you to do almost everything on your own as a Constable.  Locate training, arrange to work with a dept, etc.  You really may want to look into a Reserve program instead.  I work as a Reserve officer for Richland County Sheriff's Dept.  Looked into becoming a Constable too, applied to SLED, received the go ahead for training, and ended up becoming a Reserve with RCSD instead.  Constables have to provide all there own duty gear, unifroms, sidearms, etc.  My dept issues all gear, vests, and sidearms.  Have you priced a vest lately!  You'll probably be assisting an agency near to you most if not all the time anyway, I would suggest talking to them to see if they have a Reserve program you can apply to.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
USC is always looking for help with the football games.  they tried to recruit me as a const., but I don't have the spare time to give up for all the home games.  I can hook you up with the guy at USC PD if interested.  Something like a 4 weekend traning at Midlands Tech too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen the training offered from tech in a while.  Could be wrong though.  I think the four weekends would have to be all day each day and still only cover legals etc.  For each dept, you work with there would be different Policies and procedures with which you would have to be familiar.  You would also need to coordinate qualifications and training for firearms, OC, baton, etc.  Tech is only going to offer the classroom stuff if that.  Had a number of constables going through qualifications with us while in Reserve training which incidently was 17 weeks.  Training was announced to be getting even more entailed to even include and FTO period, etc.

-Hershey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top