Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 1:43:58 AM EDT
I debating if I want to move to Grand Juction with this new job which im fairly positive will offer me a job tomorrow,  its working on mostly corporate jets ( Learjet, Citation..etc things like that)   www.weststaraviation.com.  

Well anyway ive never been to colorado, so i have no idea what it is like, just from the pictures looks like the senery is awsome.   The farthest west ive ever been is Rapid City, SD.   I grew up in WI, and went to school in Clearwater, FL to get my A&P License, and now Im in MD working for a US airways express carrier.  To bad US air dosent fly into Grand Junction or i could just jump on a plane and find out my self, closest i can get is Denver.

From what i have gathered it looks like a cool place to live, I like to go snowboarding, got mountains for that.  I like to ride motorcycles im sure thier is many twisty roads for that.

I just basically wantt to know other peoples perspective of the place before i pack my shit up. Also if I would like to know the general cost of living, like good i get a decent apartment for lets say under 600$ a month

I guess thats all of now
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Grand Junction is great dirt bike country and moab is just over the border.

Overall it is pretty conservative.  Lots of retired folks, but nothing like FL.

Great boarding is within an easy drive.

I am not sure about the cost of living, but one of the West slope guys will chime in soon.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#2]
the area is great for outdoor rec.  definitely more dudes than dudettes.  i only go there to visit, so long term i can't guess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
you mean to tell me theirs more guys than women wtf is that shit...  hopefully its not like 500 to 1...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey cool, Im pretty familiar with Weststar...

Fly in there whenver the weather is good.  Beats driving soooo hard...

I think you'd like it, pretty nice place.  Excellent snowmobiling on the Grand Mesa and Uncompagre Butte
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey cool, Im pretty familiar with Weststar...

Fly in there whenver the weather is good.  Beats driving soooo hard...

I think you'd like it, pretty nice place.  Excellent snowmobiling on the Grand Mesa and Uncompagre Butte

so im taking it you fly, teach me to fly...hehe. You fly in to west star for maintenance?

I got the call i was waiting for, now i have to figure out how to tell my current employer im leaving(only been their since Feb 8), figure out how to get out of my lease,  pack my shit up and drive 2000 miles.... Cant wait.

What the hell dose Uncompagre Butte mean? I guess it looks like a local mountain peak,  damn thought it meant something about local ass or something....haha

The way the snowmobileing sounds i think im gonna have to stop in WI and pick up my snowmobile...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted: Im in MD working for a US airways express carrier.  

Air Wisconsin?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I debating if I want to move to Grand Juction with this new job which im fairly positive will offer me a job tomorrow,  its working on mostly corporate jets ( Learjet, Citation..etc things like that)   www.weststaraviation.com.  

Well anyway ive never been to colorado, so i have no idea what it is like, just from the pictures looks like the senery is awsome.   The farthest west ive ever been is Rapid City, SD.   I grew up in WI, and went to school in Clearwater, FL to get my A&P License, and now Im in MD working for a US airways express carrier.  To bad US air dosent fly into Grand Junction or i could just jump on a plane and find out my self, closest i can get is Denver.

From what i have gathered it looks like a cool place to live, I like to go snowboarding, got mountains for that.  I like to ride motorcycles im sure thier is many twisty roads for that.

I just basically wantt to know other peoples perspective of the place before i pack my shit up. Also if I would like to know the general cost of living, like good i get a decent apartment for lets say under 600$ a month

I guess thats all of now

I moved from md  10 years and a month ago best thing I ever did !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I really want to move out there myself.  Right now, I have some other mitigating factors going on in my life, so It's been delayed for a bit.  

That being said, I've spent 3 weeks there in the last 3 months, scoping the place out.  I really do love it.  If you are single, from what I've seen, there isn't much in the market for single, attractive women.

Also, from what I've read and heard, the GJ R/E market is overvalued by as much as 30%!!  Also,  if you are looking for acreage, forget about it.  If a new home in a subdivision is your thing, they can be had pretty cheap.  Fruita is a nice area, also check out Redlands.

Gun stores there is Sportsmans Warehouse, which seemed to have alot of things, especially reloading supplies.

Fine dining....forget about it.  It's mostly chains.

Very conservative

Air travel isn't the easiest out of there.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.  The move for me is still on the table for me, I'm just sorting out other things, but maybe we'll both end up out there.  The place is absolutly a great place!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope    Piedmont Airlines
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Im about ready to say fuck it and pack my shit up and haul ass, I really want to go out thier,  I wanted to go out  their when i was in School in Tampa,  but i got hired at this place so here i am.

Its just i just spent over 1000 to move here and now im looking at another 1000 to leave.  I know i should, this job is the kind of stuff i want to get into.  I just wish we have warp travel....
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a house there last year and love the area.Just trying to tie up loose ends here in FL and get back out there.

Plenty of shooters in the area and more than enough hunting and shooting places all around.

Dirt bike and street bike heaven, Powderhorn resort 40 min. away for the snow board too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet well hopefully with in a month ill be about thier.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
It is one of those towns you HAVE to stop in traveling on I-70, regardless of the direction you're coming from.  Not because it has anything, but it's the only big town for hundreds of miles.  

If you like the outdoors, Grand Junction is great as far as location goes.  For as much as everyone in CO loves to dump on Utah, it is an adventurist's paradise.  Moab is only a few hours away and it has great biking, rock climbing, etc.  The San Rafael Swell has great backpacking, Lake Powell is one of the best interior boating spots in the country, Fruita and Gunnison have great biking....I could go on and on.  

As far as culture and nightlife....Only what you bring to the table.  Same goes for dining.  Here's a prime opportunity to learn how to cook.  

It is one of the most beautiful parts of the country, but understand that there are few opportunities for finding a woman.  If you're an independent guy, it's a great place.

I wouldn't live there because where I am in Colorado lets me be fairly close to the backcountry and the culture/nightlife of Denver.  It's a nice balance, but, honestly, there isin't as much to see in Denver as there is in other cities.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
sweet well hopefully with in a month ill be about thier.

Well you had better IM me when you arrive.  I live up by Glenwood Springs, came out here from MA to ski for a season about 7 yrs ago and have called it home ever since.  Great skiing, awesome motorcycling, camping,   great gun laws, scenery, etc, etc...

Colorado is one of the best things to ever happen to me.  I wish you the same!!

--VT

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend and I are moving to GJ on May 8th for a wildland fire job with the BLM,  what is the status of the 19-21 year old women?  Also would it be worth it to bring my ATV up there?  Im bringing a couple of my guns up, if anyone is going shooting this summer (like I have to ask) let me know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't speak to the womenz situation.....I am not there enough and I am on a diet (the wife doesn't even like me looking at the menu).

The ATV would be a definite yes if you have the time.  Fire season can get hectic.

There is at least one member from CO who is also a wildland firefighter.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A friend and I are moving to GJ on May 8th for a wildland fire job with the BLM,  what is the status of the 19-21 year old women?  Also would it be worth it to bring my ATV up there?  Im bringing a couple of my guns up, if anyone is going shooting this summer (like I have to ask) let me know.

Women...forget that.  You'll have to go to Denver to find some choices.  Go on say Match.com and see what the place has to offer, and you'll see for your self

Other than that, the greatest place I've ever been to, outside Italy  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice bike VT!

How many miles on it?

jpwamt-

I don't fly, every around me flys.  Haven't the money or time to learn the skill.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#19]
My girlfriend moved out to GJ from Colorado Springs.  I split my time between the front range and GJ.  I absolutely hate GJ.  It is completely isolated.  Slim pickings when it comes to women there as well.  I would choose Denver or Ft. Collins over GJ.  

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Isolated.

LOL.

You didn't drive far enough west for isolated

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Isolated.

LOL.

You didn't drive far enough west for isolated

No shit, eh?  Now this is isolated:

Dead Horse Canyon out by Moab

--VT
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Isnt that the mesa in the background?

ive rode my bicycle up the CO national monument from about the east side entrance to cold shiver point if any of you know where that is,  hard going up, but fun as hell coming back down,  last time i did it, i let a car pass ( looked like i was slowing him up) but after a little while he was slowing me up i was one the cars ass all the way down, with a bicycle.

besides it seems like all the decent looking women are taking is seems like a nice area,  i need to get a bike again, and do some real riding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top