Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2005 1:27:41 PM EDT
Anyone?

What about getting a network going on in our state in case of a NO type thing?

Maybe like a local community response team?
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
There is some kind of militia here, called the Kentucky Riflemen. Saw a bunch of them shooting at KCR years ago.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.kysm.org/mission.htm
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
http://www.kysm.org/mission.htm

www.kysm.org/mission.htm    Warmed it up for ya.

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya Ive seen lots of them guys around.  

The  Kentucky Riflemen , as far as I know are no longer together.

KSM, is still around but as far as I know they are small and isolated.

All that stuff is usually based on political views, I was more hope to see if there was some interest in a community response type thing. Leave the politics out , but basically have a plan with the people here in Kentucky , so that if natural disaster or the remote chance of a foreign army attack, or terrorist attack. I'm not talking about a bunch of firearms training , just a communication network.

would there be any interest in this?

Vengar, did you work at shooters???
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen alot of groups for self reliance come and go. Without fail some weirdos always make their way in. I would prefer to stick with me and mine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have seen alot of groups for self reliance come and go. Without fail some weirdos always make their way in. I would prefer to stick with me and mine.

Just a crazy thought......Maybe you are the weirdo.....LOL

Not meaning any disrespect by that post , just a thought. I have met some strange STRANGE cats as well , but I have met some who think I'm a strange person , guess its all about perspective
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
***Deleted<va-gunnut>***

We are not going to have a cross HTF war here.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I very well could be the weirdo. It is entirely possible. But I see no need to depend on a group of people for ONE purpose. If something really bad happens my wife, and the rest of my family are prepared to handle our own issues, so I don't see honestly what we really gain from seeking other's out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm basically talking about a communication network of the people in Kentucky. not a group that protects each other, basically a way to get info about other areas of Kentucky that you don't live in.
I'm not saying get involved with any group or swear allegiance to anyone , just know you neighbor , even the ones across the state.

Lets say you got hit with natural disaster , The ability to contact other areas of Kentucky to gain first hand knowledge of other areas of the state. This could help you to find what roads are blocked , where looter activity is , maybe get info of loved ones , stuff of that nature

Example , I don't know ya , have no plans on trying to save you  or you save me , but If you were able to contact me to ask what the situation was , I would gladly tell you what is going on here.

PS. I'm not trying to push anything , just seeing if it would be something look in to
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#11]
my friends have a zombie emergency list;

basically a list of people and who to pick up and what they have to offer in an emergency.

of course I am on the list for a variety of reasons, guns, military background, vehicles, country living (ie big killing ground), supplies (and a few other as unnamed reasons).

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
There used to be a militia.  I heard half of them were FBI and the other half was BATF.  Have fun!!  
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the state of KY has some kind of repeater network,but I don't think that's what you want,had a co-worker that had a special radio,he used it for emergencies.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There used to be a militia.  I heard half of them were FBI and the other half was BATF.  Have fun!!  

+1..

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm basically talking about a communication network of the people in Kentucky. not a group that protects each other, basically a way to get info about other areas of Kentucky that you don't live in.
I'm not saying get involved with any group or swear allegiance to anyone , just know you neighbor , even the ones across the state.

Lets say you got hit with natural disaster , The ability to contact other areas of Kentucky to gain first hand knowledge of other areas of the state. This could help you to find what roads are blocked , where looter activity is , maybe get info of loved ones , stuff of that nature

Example , I don't know ya , have no plans on trying to save you  or you save me , but If you were able to contact me to ask what the situation was , I would gladly tell you what is going on here.

PS. I'm not trying to push anything , just seeing if it would be something look in to

Ky Army MARS (Military Affiliate Radio System) is on the job. Emergency Communications. That's what we do. We also liase with KY Natl Guard, Boone Center, and many served agencies such as the Red Cross. I can get a support request to the Army Operations Center at the Pentagon or FEMA at Mt. Weather in a matter of seconds, via digital High Frequency Radio. Since 911, the primary mission of MARS has changed from primarily sending MARSGRAMS,(health and welfare messages to our deployed troops which we still do), to EEI ( Esential Elements of Information) reporting. These reports go directly to the pentagon to help provide neccessary information in Military assistance planning.

There is also the Amatuer Radio Emergency Service (ARES) which is a network of Ham radio operators assisting in communications durring emergency situations. Tornados, earthquakes, etc.

If you are serious about staying informed with regards to Emergency Communications, study for and get your Ham license. It really opens up a new world of information via radio.

There are a lot of people involved in EMCOMS that are RTKBA supporters and get a lot of trigger time.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ky Army MARS (Military Affiliate Radio System) is on the job. Emergency Communications. That's what we do. We also liase with KY Natl Guard, Boone Center, and many served agencies such as the Red Cross. I can get a support request to the Army Operations Center at the Pentagon or FEMA at Mt. Weather in a matter of seconds, via digital High Frequency Radio. Since 911, the primary mission of MARS has changed from primarily sending MARSGRAMS,(health and welfare messages to our deployed troops which we still do), to EEI ( Esential Elements of Information) reporting. These reports go directly to the pentagon to help provide neccessary information in Military assistance planning.

There is also the Amatuer Radio Emergency Service (ARES) which is a network of Ham radio operators assisting in communications durring emergency situations. Tornados, earthquakes, etc.

If you are serious about staying informed with regards to Emergency Communications, study for and get your Ham license. It really opens up a new world of information via radio.

There are a lot of people involved in EMCOMS that are RTKBA supporters and get a lot of trigger time.

You in Henry county?

Now I dont mean to be rude , but I have little faith in anything Government controled . I mean a grass roots effort .
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm only Govt controlled as long as I want to be. ARES is totally volunteer radio ametuers and isn't government controlled. I make no distinctions as to where I learn my skills as long as I have them to use.

There are Army MARS stations all around you in Henry County and surrounding counties. We ARE grassroots folks...assisting the Government in arranging Government aid in case of disaster. The ARES groups ARE grassroots folks assisting agencies like the Red Cross and Salvation Army in passing disaster message traffic. No need for tinfoil hats.

The State Emergency Operations Center at Boone Center in Frankfort isn't to far from you. Lots closer than to me.

I don't know exactly how you propose to keep in contact given an emergency. Supose a major earthquake. The New Madrid fault complex in Missouri will slip again. In 1868 it rang the church bells in Boston. Should we have an earthquake of that magnitude today, millions will be affected. Henry County will be messed up. It will happen...it's just a question of when.

CB radio? 20 miles max (and it will be so crowded you won't do any meaningful communicating even if you can get the potty mouths to shut up). You won't have e-mail, cellphones, or landline telephones. The ONLY thing that works in that situation is High Frequency radio or satelite telephone on emergency power.  Read: Batteries.

As mentioned in a previous post, Kentucky has provision for linking all the 2 meter radio repeaters to Boone Center. This is for support requests, but can be simply monitored for information.

There are community response teams being set up via the CERT program. CERT is Community Emergency Response Team. It is a national program funded by FEMA. They teach disaster preparedness, hazzard mitigation, light search and rescue, first aid, and a lot of other valuable skills. You can take an online primmer at FEMA.gov. Check out your county Emergency Management Agency. They can offer you training for SHTF scenarios...even if you don't use it like they wish. Most CERT programs give you a backpack full of disaster stuff like bandages and light sticks for free.

Believe it or don't, the government agencies that are geared up for disaster relief are not the bad guys. Their mission is to help people and save lives. When a government agency gets tyranical..then it's time to deal with it. Worrying will just shorten your life.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#18]

There are community response teams being set up via the CERT program. CERT is Community Emergency Response Team. It is a national program funded by FEMA. They teach disaster preparedness, hazzard mitigation, light search and rescue, first aid, and a lot of other valuable skills. You can take an online primmer at FEMA.gov. Check out your county Emergency Management Agency. They can offer you training for SHTF scenarios...even if you don't use it like they wish. Most CERT programs give you a backpack full of disaster stuff like bandages and light sticks for free.

Me must know a lot of the same people

CERT , Yes I have the patch and green vest But the fed just pulled all the funding for this program and it is as good as gone. The groups are pretty much gone, most seem to be heading to search and rescue groups that we have locally here.

I am a Tin Foil  Ass hat , but to just skirt that whole subject ill just say, I want no part of any government program . I know you guys do some real good and its just good old boys , but its a personal stand by me. That in no way means we cant talk like we are right now?

I don't know exactly how you propose to keep in contact given an emergency. Suppose a major earthquake. The New Madrid fault complex in Missouri will slip again. In 1868 it rang the church bells in Boston. Should we have an earthquake of that magnitude today, millions will be affected. Henry County will be messed up. It will happen...it's just a question of when.

I agree , I have full radio gear and know how to use it. When the time comes I need it the law against me using it will mean little. I listen to you guys some times I just hate the call sign before anyone talks.  I just done wanna get any kind of licence , I'm stubborn as an ox.

I wont get no licence , but you can bet that when it goes down my shirt will be dirty .
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Beater,

Be warned that in KY it's a crime to have a radio in a vehicle that is capable of receiving police calls. If you have an FCC technicians license you can have whatever type of radio you want in your rig. Be careful if you do have a 2 meter rig in your vehicle. If a popo wants to screw with you they can jail you and confiscate the radio.

I hadn't heard about the CER funding. My CERT affiliation is in Vanderburgh County Indiana. The EMA here in Henderson has blown us off several times when we have volunteered our services. They are a fiasco in motion. They just don't know it.

I did, just last week, take the trainers course for the Dept of Homeland Security WMD Awareness class. Great class! Learned lots of neat stuff! I am presently awaiting shipment of 100 units of course media so I can teach the classes. It's a 6 hour class with a pre and post course test. Lots of cool information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top