Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2008 1:06:38 PM EDT
I have a question about your evidence/property room...
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking for some inside help, huh?
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know of a few who are on this board, but frankly with the anti-cop crap that sometimes goes on even in here (HTF) it isn't a surprise to me that they keep a low profile.

Mark

Good! that's the way iti should be....we don't need no stinking Po Po giving us a bad name around here.....

(that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell, please don't tase me!)
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know of a few who are on this board, but frankly with the anti-cop crap that sometimes goes on even in here (HTF) it isn't a surprise to me that they keep a low profile.

Mark

I've never known DK to cop bash.... unless they deserved it. But I doubt he's asking to bash.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
DK,

Shoot me a PM. My dad retired from DeKalb Co. PD about 10 years ago. He was employed with them about 30 years.

He'll answer any question you have if he can. I'm sure a lot has changed around there since he left, but I'm offering my assistance in needed.

BH, I see very little cop bashing here, but I do appreciate the fact that we call a spade a spade.

Cops do make mistakes and often. The same way I make mistakes and often in my chosen profession. They also have bad days when they get in an argument with their spouse, child ETC. I know I have bad days and I'm glad that I don't have a job where I could take out my frustrations on my fellow man because the results would be disastrous.

The only difference is most of us can't hit our fellow man in the pocketbook when we are having a bad day much less cause them to lose their freedom among other things.

If they are correct 99% that just great unless you fall in that 1% error rate.

After I got out of college I considered a career in law enforcement, but I knew it wasn't for me. It does take a special type person to be a GOOD LEO and I'm not that type of person but I do admire those that are.

TD
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate it tree, but I need up to date personnel info.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Appreciate it tree, but I need up to date personnel info.

what does the property control unit have to do with personnel information?

trying to figure out how to locate some evidence/property without the specific personnel that entered it?  chain of custody issues?  c'mon, curious minds want to know...
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to know who is in charge of the evidence room to get some evidence brought to a hearing. That's all. They ducked my process server today so I'm gonna have to do it in person. Their door was closed and when he called they refused to open it when he ID'ed himself. I just want to know who to ask for so the subpoena can be filled out before hand and I can just hand it over and keep moving.

I'm having a hell of a time with subpoena's right now...
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I want to know who is in charge of the evidence room to get some evidence brought to a hearing. That's all. They ducked my process server today so I'm gonna have to do it in person. Their door was closed and when he called they refused to open it when he ID'ed himself. I just want to know who to ask for so the subpoena can be filled out before hand and I can just hand it over and keep moving.

Doug,

I doubt he could be of assistance with that issue.

He was part of the old guard that had been there since the late 60's and very few were there when he retired ~10 years ago. I doubt any are there today.

Dekalb Co. was a much different place when he hired on in the late 60's.

TD
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

civil matter subpoena?  shocker there.

when is your hearing?  

i take it that if you had a process server out on a national holiday, you are running this closer to the wire?

just swing by their property control unit with your subpoena duces tecum first thing tomorrow morning and speak with a supe on duty.  if you draft it for the LT/Capt/Maj in charge of the property division, you may not perfect service in time, or the subpoena might get served at the division but not make it to the commander in time to really be effective in getting him/her there.

you may already know to expect resistance to non-criminal subpoenae on LE personnel.

criminal subpoenae are to be served usually to the deputy chief's office of field ops, or whatever equivalent in DCPD.  you may already know to leave time for the administrative handling of delivering them to the officers at their location of assignment.

FWIW, evidence requests may be kicked to the arresting/entering officer to handle...and may incur more administrative time in the process.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
The evidence people refused to come to the door.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"Dave's not here man."  
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
The evidence people refused to come to the door.hinking.gif

"Dave's not here man."  

Knock.. Knock....

http://bp2.blogger.com/_Q8p6JEMW_so/Rmt9iMCBt2I/AAAAAAAAAGo/eci1iv34N44/s400/land+shark.jpg

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

what door are you talking about?  one of the doors that is restricted to sworn LE personnel only?

during their business hours, the property control unit should have an area open to the public to retrieve property and obtain vehicle releases.  unless you are DCPD, you will only interface with DCPD Property personnel here, subpoena or no.

the DCPD property clerks may be unsworn personnel (i cannot advise on that).  as such, you know the drill on perfecting service.

did you try contacting the Field Ops office on the issue?  you could simply serve a subpoena duces tecum on the officer that recovered the evidence via that channel.

...but i've seen officers kick civil subpoenae up to the city/county law department before considering attending those civil hearings/trials.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I work for DeKalb County, but not PD.  If we're served with a subpoena, it must be done through headquarters.  I guess in a civil matter, if it didn't pertain to on-duty events, then it could be served any old time.  But anything that pertains to on-duty events MUST go through our chain of command.  Again, this is not PD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top