Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:15:52 AM EDT
I'm working on my first 1911 build and am having a few problems. Are there any big fans willing to offer advice?

Thanks,

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the problem exactly? One thing I have learned about 1911's, there are no drop in parts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Patriot,

Yep, I figured that one out. I'm amazed at the difference in building and AR and building a 1911. The AR is modern 1960 technology and the 1911 is well, from the the early 1900s! Every frigging thing needs to be filled and stoned and tweaked...

The 1911 puts the "smith" in pistolsmith, I like to say.

That being said, I'm having extraction problems. I wonder if the cheap mil surp mag is one of the issues as there is the occasional failure to feed. I know the extractor is part of the feed cycle so I'm not so sure. But a lot of the problem is the slide will cycle, leaving the spent case in the chamber, then the next round will jam up. I shaped the extractor following blindhog.com advice and drawings.

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you properly adjust the extractor?

With the slide off the gun push a round up the breechface under the extractor. You should be able to shake the slide gently back and forth without the round falling out.

If it doesn't hold the round it needs to be tightened up a bit.

I'll look for some links I have and will post them later for you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

With the slide off the gun push a round up the breechface under the extractor. You should be able to shake the slide gently back and forth without the round falling out.

It holds the round very snugly. (I think that is word. LOL) It snaps in umder the extractor. I also tried it bent to hold the round a little more loosely.

I just ordered a WIlson extractlor from Brownell's.

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
EFX GUY
your failure to extract problem

what does the spent shell that is stuck in chamber look like ?
rim of case torn from extractor contact ?
wall of brass show signs being stuck in chamber ?

how does a unfired round fit in chamber of barrel ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
EFX GUY
your failure to extract problem

what does the spent shell that is stuck in chamber look like ?

Ordinary. Nothing unusal that I could detect.

rim of case torn from extractor contact ?

Nothing torn or ripped.

wall of brass show signs being stuck in chamber ?

No, in fact, by operating the slide manualy, the unextracted round would extract and eject.

how does a unfired round fit in chamber of barrel ?

Slides in OK.

Thanks, Blish for the trouble shooting.

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]

But a lot of the problem is the slide will cycle, leaving the spent case in the chamber, then the next round will jam up

Are you using a 16# recoil spring or something different?

Are you running a shok buff?

Just want to know if your putting it together like JMB or are trying to "improve" on his design, lol.

Does it happen with all of your magazines? If you don't know you should number them and check to see if all the failures occur with the same mag.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

But a lot of the problem is the slide will cycle, leaving the spent case in the chamber, then the next round will jam up

Just want to know if your putting it together like JMB or are trying to "improve" on his design, lol.

Does it happen with all of your magazines? If you don't know you should number them and check to see if all the failures occur with the same mag.

I'm using the reciol spring that came with the military parts kit. (Korean, I think, not sure). No shok buffer either. Just a straight military build in black park. I only have the cheap mag that came with, new mags are on order from Brownells. I cut the ramp to .420 and it feeds hollow points very well, BTW, but ball or HP, still the same failure to extract. I have trhe same occasional issue with my Para
10-45. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, that is I was traned and certified on a .45auto....

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
sounds like you have extractor problem

i would replace it with a quality part  . Wilson , McCormick , Ed Brown
they may drop rite in and work
but like 45RON mentioned once you install check the tension

2 last things
the bore of extractor , make sure its clean

also i normally polish inside the chambers and feed ramp of my 1911s with a Dremel

i see you mentioned ordering new mags , that should cure the failure to feed
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it an Essex frame?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually built one up from a Sarco Inc. kit.  Runs pretty good.  Only problem I have right now is that when I re-shaped the extractor, the cases nail me in the forehead.  Hopefully I can get that resolved..  As for feeding problems, I ran a couple mags through it and it started to feed fine.  I originally had an extraction problem too.  The extractor would nick the case.  I tried bending the extrctor and that didn't help.  That's when I took the chance on reshaping it with a dremel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
With 1911s the brass should land on your hat!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is it an Essex frame?

No, it was an partial casting I finished...

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
With 1911s the brass should land on your hat!

And when it extracts, the casings do go up and over my head. No ejector probs here!

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ron is right. Coversely, if the extractor is too tight it will need to be polished down a bit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm using the reciol spring that came with the military parts kit. (Korean, I think, not sure). No shok buffer either. Just a straight military build in black park. I only have the cheap mag that came with, new mags are on order from Brownells. I cut the ramp to .420 and it feeds hollow points very well, BTW, but ball or HP, still the same failure to extract. I have trhe same occasional issue with my Para
10-45. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, that is I was traned and certified on a .45auto....

efxguy

I love my Para but one thing I have learned is that the two piece extractor must be kept clean and oiled gently or it will miserably fail to extract.

You are having what sounds like a reverse problem with your 1911. If anything, it should hiccup feeding HP ammo, not the ball ammo. The 1911 as we all know was designed to feed ball. That being said, since we know it extracts HP ammo fine, I think either the feed ramp is too long, the angle of the ramp is wrong or the extractor is too tight. Is it really difficult to remove and replace the extractor from the slide? Could be a mag, but I doubt it.

If it becomes a major pita and you need a 1911 pistolsmith, I live within 10 minutes of the two best in the state, IMHO Marc Krebs #1  and Scott Rollins #2 so lemme know if you need to take it in.

Please post any results efxguy, I am interested in hearing the solution.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is a low-res photos of it:

I thought Krebs was retired from the custom pistol business?

efxguy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top