Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 3:50:04 AM EDT
Sportsmans advantage AKA Northcoast locked the doors up and the phone is disconnected.
This was a modern indoor range, located in Sheffield village on 611.
I think the owner over-invested and his other business could not help keep it afloat.
I have heard rumors for the last few years it was in trouble.
Hopefully, it will not be vacant too long.
Personally, I liked sighting in and function testing a new weapon indoors during a blizzard.
Besides that, it was just a few miles down the road.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Atwell also closed his range in Painesville this year.  Although their gunshop and Police supply business are quite profitable they said the range was not.  The primary cost killer was insurance and it was enough to make the range a money loser.  My guess is that due to insurance reasons we will see alot of this and the public hourly shooting range will have to move into the private membership catagory to get any kind of decent insurance rates and be able to keep the doors open.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Years ago, I took apart a range near Mentor...Evanchuck & Williams, I think it was.
It even had a place to babysit kids, a nice little nursery area.
Goodyear purchased it for their employees.
Another range, Stonewall, I heard was sold years back, but the owner kept the uniform and supply part of the business, like Atwell.
Guess there is no big money in ranges, just liability.
The last time I bought a lifetime membership...the old Shooting Stall closed.
(since then On Target, then B&T)
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Stonewall in Broadview Hts was in operation when I last checked a few weeks ago.....  Still pricy and dirty, but still in business.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Stonewall is still in operation, i was there today.  it was sold 10 years ago.  the previous owner was (i believe) the police chief of either Broadview Hts or Brecksville.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The origional owners of Stonewall where the Simons of Brecksville that own the uniform side . They sold it to Jerry and Brian I cant rember thier last names. They sold it to some attorneys that have Diane and John try to manage it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I solved the problem by joining Zepplin in Akron.  Private, no hustle, no bustle, and a fantastic facility.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to Sportsmans Advantage about a year ago and was definitely impressed with their facilities. They claimed that their trap could handle anything I had and the simulator was a nice touch. Prices were a little high and I think that ends up being the problem around the Cleveland metro area. One can join the ODNR ranges and shoot outdoors for $10-$25 a year and I belong to a range in Akron that charges something like $50 a year in dues. It just isn't practical to payy $15-$20 an hour to shoot around here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Also being a former member of Avon sportsman's until it closed...I had the whole place to myself in the morning.
There were still questions about it needing to be sold and the blending into the Middle Ridge range that had no range.
A member 2 years there and never fired a shot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just at Stonewall last week. The range has been repainted, the walls retiled, and new carpet. I think they must stay afloat by renting out the LEO side of the range. I've shot there also, and it's actually not as nice as the public side....
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The nicotine level in Stonewall should rate a Biohazard plaque on the outside wall!  We (my daughter and her friend and I) shot there Sunday just for fun.  .22LR and .45ACP.  Gotta start girls off right.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Atwell also closed his range in Painesville this year.  Although their gunshop and Police supply business are quite profitable they said the range was not.  The primary cost killer was insurance and it was enough to make the range a money loser.  My guess is that due to insurance reasons we will see alot of this and the public hourly shooting range will have to move into the private membership catagory to get any kind of decent insurance rates and be able to keep the doors open.

The closing of Atwell's was a pisser!  That's my home town range.  My Dad and I used to go there everytime I came home for a visit.  Now, the closest thing that we know of is Big Bore in Eastlake (I think), which is for sucks.  Bad service, cocky dude behind the counter, and rip off prices.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top