Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 2:01:41 AM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/us/new-york-jfk-flight-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

whoo boy. Lots of headscratching there. We (the USA) should treat NY just like Great Britain. When folks in other states try to check guns to NY, airline folks should tell them it's a no-go. Save a lot of paperwork for PAPD, and protect people like this dude from themselves.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

...and protect people like this dude from themselves.

View Quote
I disagree 100% with our stupid laws but people like this really seem to be more of the exception than the rule.  Otherwise, there would be huge numbers of out-of-stater's being busted every day. You would think by now, with all the publicity from Bloomberg, that people visiting New York would learn to leave the firearms home or just stay home and not give New York any more money.

I always make it a point to learn what various laws are, that might affect me, before I go someplace.  It always saddened me every time I had to go to Kali on business knowing all the crap they deal with there.  Landing at San Jose Airport I would imagine a giant steel door closing behind me.  Of course flying back to JFK was not much better.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
so painting your rifle is defacing it?  I mean he has no taste at all with a purple AK but how is it defacing?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tyranid:

so painting your rifle is defacing it?  I mean he has no taste at all with a purple AK but how is it defacing?
View Quote
If it's a rattle can paint job, he may have flooded the stamped numbers with paint, making them unreadable.  That's the only thing I can figure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If it's a rattle can paint job, he may have flooded the stamped numbers with paint, making them unreadable.  That's the only thing I can figure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there a law on the books about coloring a firearm something other than approved colors (ie. painting a real firearm blaze orange for example)?  Nassau has (or had) a law prohibiting handguns from being anything other than "standard" colors.  At least one person got busted for having an off-color handgun.  There had been a court case but I do not recall the outcome.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Disguised as purple toy gun.

I'd make a citizens arrest for what he did to that AR.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a law on the books about coloring a firearm something other than approved colors (ie. painting a real firearm blaze orange for example)?  Nassau has (or had) a law prohibiting handguns from being anything other than "standard" colors.  At least one person got busted for having an off-color handgun.  There had been a court case but I do not recall the outcome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was overturned in Court.
PL 265 and PL 400 are pre-emptive
Localities can not make their own gun laws.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, simply copy & paste, do not be "helpful" and make the link hot.

http://courts.state.ny.us/REPORTER/3dseries/2010/2010_09911.htm
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The media does a piss poor job reporting the facts.  Hundreds of weapons go through JFK, LGA and EWR each week without incident.  The only time there is a problem, is when the flyer is so ignorant and irresponsible they ask for one.  This guy is an idiot.  Everyone knows NYC has crazy gun laws.  Any responsible gun owner checks the laws/rules before traveling.

The facts are:

1) He showed up with two hard cases at the airport with two rifles, a shotgun, and two 15 round handgun mags.  He also had almost 20 pounds of ammo in his luggage.  (Cant't fly with more than 11 pounds of ammo and the mags are illegal in NY)

2) One of the rifles was heavily sanded down at the serial number and the majority of the gun was painted purple. (illegal)

3) One of the rifles was lightly sanded down at the serial number and painted silver. (illegal)

4) One of the rifles was loaded, with a round in the chamber. (Illegal in NYC and against TSA rules)

5) One of the rifles was a AR style pistol with a bayonet lug, threaded barrel and pistol grip.  (Illegal in NYC)

6) When asked where he had been he indicated he was visiting family and friends in NY City for several days. (Dumb an answer and illegal with the guns)

And thus the reason for his problems.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Not feeling much sympathy for this fellow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Okay sheep. It's a good thing you are all brainwashed not to feel bad for this guy. Fact is he did nothing wrong with the exception of having 1 of the guns loaded.. and it probably was just a loaded magazine not even chambered.

Let me fix the facts for you while I am at it.

The facts are:

1) He showed up with two hard cases at the airport with two rifles, a shotgun, and two 15 round handgun mags. He also had almost 20 pounds of ammo in his luggage. (Cant't fly with more than 11 pounds of ammo and the mags are illegal in NY)  WHO CARES should be nothing wrong with any of this.

2) One of the rifles was heavily sanded down at the serial number and the majority of the gun was painted purple. (illegal) Right to keep and bear arms and all. Serial numbers shouldn't be needed

3) One of the rifles was lightly sanded down at the serial number and painted silver. (illegal) Right to keep and bear arms and all. Serial numbers shouldn't be needed

4) One of the rifles was loaded, with a round in the chamber. (Illegal in NYC and against TSA rules) Who gives a shit about those rules as long as the guns are safe in his custody? Where did it say 1 one was in the chamber?

5) One of the rifles was a AR style pistol with a bayonet lug, threaded barrel and pistol grip. (Illegal in NYC) Unconstitutional and all

6) When asked where he had been he indicated he was visiting family and friends in NY City for several days. (Dumb an answer and illegal with the guns) Who the fuck cares what he was doing. He could have been there to pick shit off your ass and it shouldn't have mattered.

Oh and the only illegal gun is a stolen gun.

Now please carry on and go back to thinking he did something wrong. And it is thinking like this that put us in our situation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Okay sheep. It's a good thing you are all brainwashed not to feel bad for this guy. Fact is he did nothing wrong with the exception of having 1 of the guns loaded.. and it probably was just a loaded magazine not even chambered.

Let me fix the facts for you while I am at it.

The facts are:

1) He showed up with two hard cases at the airport with two rifles, a shotgun, and two 15 round handgun mags. He also had almost 20 pounds of ammo in his luggage. (Cant't fly with more than 11 pounds of ammo and the mags are illegal in NY)  WHO CARES should be nothing wrong with any of this.

2) One of the rifles was heavily sanded down at the serial number and the majority of the gun was painted purple. (illegal) Right to keep and bear arms and all. Serial numbers shouldn't be needed

3) One of the rifles was lightly sanded down at the serial number and painted silver. (illegal) Right to keep and bear arms and all. Serial numbers shouldn't be needed

4) One of the rifles was loaded, with a round in the chamber. (Illegal in NYC and against TSA rules) Who gives a shit about those rules as long as the guns are safe in his custody? Where did it say 1 one was in the chamber?

5) One of the rifles was a AR style pistol with a bayonet lug, threaded barrel and pistol grip. (Illegal in NYC) Unconstitutional and all

6) When asked where he had been he indicated he was visiting family and friends in NY City for several days. (Dumb an answer and illegal with the guns) Who the fuck cares what he was doing. He could have been there to pick shit off your ass and it shouldn't have mattered.

Oh and the only illegal gun is a stolen gun.

Now please carry on and go back to thinking he did something wrong. And it is thinking like this that put us in our situation.
View Quote

I could not agree with you more.

The fact that anyone on this board would want to put the blame on the guy from Tennessee, a state where people get to live freely, and expect him to have to bow down to the wishes of fucking Bloomberg and the rest of the tyrannical setup in NYC is ludicrous. How can we all sit here and say we want the injustice and ill informed propaganda put forth against firearms in this state to be repealed and indeed abolished completely, yet sit here and blame a citizen of the United states of America, for following all federal laws and being put in irons because he owns weapons that are ALL legal in the state of NY, that have a little bit of spray paint on them and a couple magazines that hold 15.

Bullshit. stop blaming the victims and start blaming the perpetrators.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The fact that anyone on this board would want to put the blame on the guy from Tennessee, a state where people get to live freely, and expect him to have to bow down to the wishes of fucking Bloomberg and the rest of the tyrannical setup in NYC is ludicrous. How can we all sit here and say we want the injustice and ill informed propaganda put forth against firearms in this state to be repealed and indeed abolished completely, yet sit here and blame a citizen of the United states of America, for following all federal laws and being put in irons because he owns weapons that are ALL legal in the state of NY, that have a little bit of spray paint on them and a couple magazines that hold 15.

View Quote

Quick litmus test:

What would have happened to you, or him if he'd attempted to check that loaded gun out of Knoxville, TN or Nashville TN? Think they would have given him an attaboy? Nope. He would have been arrested.

Next quick question: What would happen if you were in TN, with your carry gun, and  ventured into a space that was clearly marked for no guns? Or if you were pulled over with a loaded handgun in your car, and no pistol permit?

Answer: If discovered in either instance, you would be arrested.

So knock off the bullshit about bullshit, because laws, no matter how distasteful we perceive and know them to be, are still "the law", until the courts or legislature says so.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quick litmus test:

What would have happened to you, or him if he'd attempted to check that loaded gun out of Knoxville, TN or Nashville TN? Think they would have given him an attaboy? Nope. He would have been arrested.

Next quick question: What would happen if you were in TN, with your carry gun, and  ventured into a space that was clearly marked for no guns? Or if you were pulled over with a loaded handgun in your car, and no pistol permit?

So knock off the bullshit about bullshit, because laws, no matter how distasteful we perceive and know them to be, are still "the law", until the courts or legislature says so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick litmus test:

First part: No he would not have been arrested. the Nashville PD would have asked him to unload and then he would have proceeded unhindered. (I spent a good deal of time down in Fort Campbell in Clarksville Tn about 35 minutes from Nashville airport and I know a few ex Army guys in the Nashville PD) They would not have arrested him because the state is pro gun and the cops down south prefer to enforce the spirit rather than the letter. I've had my share of run ins in Alabama and TN and I have always found this to be the case.

second part.: you don't need a permit to own a handgun in TN. You need a license to open/ concealed carry but you don't need one to transport your unloaded firearm in your car. So for him to have handguns in cases to be checked onto a plane would be perfectly legit in TN.

third part: bullshit about bullshit? come on now! The law in the US says its legal to kill babies, legal to kill your elderly parents in Oregon, illegal for mixed races to inter marry in some parts of Miss. and illegal to defend yourself without first retreating.

So in that case since they are "laws" they are totally appropriate and need to be followed right? That's the bullshit I am speaking of. The blind compliance with "laws" that are unlawful and against natural law in the first place are nothing more than human regulation pushed by a vocal minority in this country. All this big talk here about non- compliance with the SAFE Act (which is a law btw) yet we are supposed to be perfectly compliant with these other things? That's the level of naiveté that has caused genocides, mass murder of innocent children and the abuse of power with regards to freedom of religion and conscience in this world. Your willingness to abide by the gross abuse of power in this country will be the same willingness to cave to the demands of the God-less population.

That is all I will say about this issue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top