Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 6:52:01 AM EDT
http://www.wftv.com/news/19746210/detail.html

Woman Shot Inside Gun Range

Posted: 6:10 pm EDT June 13, 2009
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. –– A woman is in the hospital after a bizarre shooting at an Orange County gun range.

The woman shot herself at East Orange Shooting Sports on Gardner Street Saturday afternoon.

Detectives are trying to determine whether she accidentally pulled the trigger or tried to commit suicide.

No word on the woman's condition.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much info to go on there but, if it turns out she had the gun to her head or heart, I'd say it wasn't an accident.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
This has got to stop.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#4]
shit i go here all the time
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are people doing this?  The negative press is not good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Where there's a will, there's a way.....  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was a sucide attempt, you think she cares?

Yeah, its got to stop.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I doubt they care too much about the press.

Generally speaking, a gun is perceived as a quick and easy way to attempt to off yourself.  (Sucks to find out after the fact that you still have to have some idea of what you're doing).  So, folks go where the guns are.  If there aren't any in your home, you go to the gun store.  When you discover your choices are to fill out a bunch of paperwork, fork over the cash, and wait three days, or rent a gun for use on the range right now, it's really a surprise that it doesn't happen more often.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Possibly trying to use their death to pass legislation to ban shooting ranges.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]
hey a new place to shoot close by!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything is possible - but I highly doubt that's the case.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#12]
My guess, people saw it in the news and realized it was a good way to commit suicide and get the sympathy they need for it in the process.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything is possible - but I highly doubt that's the case.

that would make me think cult.  like someone brainwashing people and them having them kill themselves for that reason you stated.  outlandish, yes.  possible, probably not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Some people will do anything for their 15 minutes of fame...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

you working?  or somewhere boring?  or is it the same place?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

all of these new shooters..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This has got to stop.

One common thread in these range shootings seems to be that the shooter rents the gun.
Just stop renting guns............
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has got to stop.

One common thread in these range shootings seems to be that the shooter rents the gun.
Just stop renting guns to people who don't bring in a gun they own or a friend that is a gunowner............

I rented several guns and shot my friend's 9mm before I decided on my first handgun, if I was in the market for something they rented I would try it first before spending the money and finding out I hate the way it shoots.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#19]
The problem is, the only spin the press wants to put on this, is the fact that the gun range is renting guns to "crazy people" and the community may not be safe.  My apologies to the ladies family but the gun range is the victim here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Not to sound callous, but a gun range is only one way of a person not of sound mind to commit suicide.

Background checks for "renting" guns is just a way for me to give up more rights, which I refuse to do.

If some unstable person is going to harm themselves, they "will" find a way. (i,e. knife, car, overpass, train, pills, etc.)

Law abiding citizens should'nt have to pay  the price for a person of unsound mind.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Sad and very scary at the same time................
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Man I hope that doesnt fuck East Orange up, I go there all the time. They're one of the good guys, even during the buying frenzy I was getting AR lowers and complete ARs at normal prices from them.

I went to highschool with a guy that works there and still talk to him, and I know at least another employee is an arfcommer.

Fuck
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]
People go rent a gun to kill themselves since they don't own one and have bought into the thought that a GSW is instant death.

For every freedom we have, there is a cost. For every right we have, someone will abuse it.

If there were no guns at all, there would be no deaths by GSW. However, we all know that does not mean that there would not be murders. People who were trying to stop gun shows were able to show a slight statistical corelation  between suicide by gun and recent gunshows.... Makes sense, you want a cheap gun with no paperwork you don't buy from a dealer. The anti-gun crowd tried to use this as a lever to cast off the  "scurge" of gun shows... What they failed to mention was that while rates of suicide by GSW did drop.... Suicide RATE did not drop at all. Other methods of suicide just went up to cover the loss that the lack of a gunshow created.

Long story short, if people want to off themselves, they will. To the point of renting a gun at a range if that's all they can do/think of.

I am a skydiving instructor for fun. People come out to learn to skydive and off themselves. We try to catch it in the first jump course... I have banned one student from jumping due to comments they made... They just went somewhere else.

Point is that as long as we are allowed to rent guns... People will rent them to off themselves.. It is a risk.

Since most suicidal people will find a way. It is a risk that I am more than willing to pay.

I had a buddy kill himself. He drove his car into a telephone pole. When he was not dead, he pulled out his pistol and shot himself in the head.... The whole thing was seen by a cop, my buddy was also a cop.

For us to have the right to have firearms, we have to accept that people will abuse the right to do bad things.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Gun ranges need to stop renting to people who come either by themselves or without a firearm of their own. If they have a CCW they should let them rent as they most likely want to try out a gun before they buy it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gun ranges need to stop renting to people who come either by themselves or without a firearm of their own. If they have a CCW they should let them rent as they most likely want to try out a gun before they buy it.

I'm afraid that's what will probably happen now.  But as a poster above said, why should the actions of a few disturbed people, infringe on my rights.  I own many of my own guns but what if I want to go down to the range and rent a .50 Desert Eagle?  I'm just saying, this really sucks.  Chick was obviously craving attention.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Sad thing.  That sucks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#27]
They need to keep this shit on the low down. U show this shit on the news and people get ideas. Just like every other crime. U remember car jackings ? Now U never here about them, today it is home invasions . The media is to blame for giving ideas. I work at a range I have to tell myself watch out non stop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top