Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2014 5:32:33 AM EDT
If anyone remembers my post about canoeing and camping on the Suwannee River back in November, my son and I had such a great time that we couldn't wait to do it again. A friend of mine at work wanted to give it a try, so we headed out last weekend. We met up at The Suwannee Canoe Outpost in Live Oak.

They shuttled us and our gear upriver to White Springs and helped us unload at the boat ramp. I picked up my canoe on Craigslist since my last trip, so I wouldn't have to borrow one when I wanted to go. It was pretty well loaded with gear, but did well.

We headed downriver and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. The change in the river from November to now was hard to believe. The water level is 8-9 feet higher now. It's literally like being on a new river.

I had hoped to camp on the same sandbar we used last time, just before the river goes under I-75. That idea was a no-go. I took this picture over my shoulder as we passed the spot. The really large sandbar we used last time was completely under water...

So, we passed on under I-75 and started looking for a new campsite...

We found a really small beach a little later and stopped for some lunch. It was big enough to put our tents up if we were in dire need of a site, but was pretty small...

After a quick lunch, we headed on downriver in search of a camp. With the high water, the current was kicking and we were making good time, almost too good. We literally could have made the whole 22 miles back to the canoe outpost by 5-6 that day and not even  needed to camp. Last time we went, there were sandbars everywhere, this time there were none. I was getting a little worried about finding a spot, when we finally came across a nice looking camp...

It was a nice spot with a little creek running out, high banks on each side sheltered it from the river and there was a nice flat area to put up tents...

We got all set up and started working on dinner. I had decided to forgo the usual camp foods this time and try to have a really nice dinner..

A little after dinner, around the fire refreshment never hurts...

We woke up Sunday knowing it was supposed to rain. The forecast said it would start around noon, so our plan was to eat some breakfast, get up a shelter and collect some dry firewood. I am ashamed to say that the rain actually started around 0830 and we were caught unprepared. We managed to get up a shelter and stay dry...

Our plan had been to spend two night at this site and use Sunday to explore the area. The little creek looked awesome and the Florida Trail ran right above our camp. Unfortunately, the rain ended up being an almost constant downpour from Sunday at 0830 until Monday at 0500. We spent the whole day basically lounging around and staying dry. I rigged up a handline I could throw out into the river and stake to the bank with a tent stake. I caught several catfish that day. I also was able to introduce my friend to the virtues of liter wood, pine knot or whatever you want o call it. I came across a couple of big logs of it and we were able to keep a nice fire, even in the wet conditions...

There were only a few 10-15 minute breaks in the rain, but I managed to get a couple of shots of our site and the river...

Monday morning was still cloudy, but thankfully the rain had stopped. We packed up and headed on down the last few miles back to the canoe outpost. The rain had totally washed us out on one day, but the trip was still a lot of fun. I can't wait to do it again..

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
OUTSTANDING!!!! LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TIME.   I NEED TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Always a good time!  Glad the water is up, I went one year when it was low, man that was a lot of paddling (no current, dragging bottom)
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Good job Dad!

Now give that boy a paddle! He's got skills to develop.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]
You're lucky.  You just missed the raw sewage spill in GA caused by those rains that caused signs to be put up on the Withlacoochee and Suwannee Rivers telling folks not to come in contact with the water.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out this link, it has some free camp sites that are only accessible via boat or walking. They have free camp sites for primitive camping, and huge screen rooms for sheltered camping. They have bathrooms with hot showers, wood burning grills all over the place.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/wilderness/rivercamps.cfm

I live near one of them and when my 5 year old wants to go camping we just hike in there with our gear and camp right there. Im only 3 miles from home in case something goes down or fun stops being had.

Looks like you guys had a great time

ETA : Made link hot

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW!  One of the best posts I've seen in a while.  Looks like you all had a great time... great memories for your son too.  GREAT JOB!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WOW!  One of the best posts I've seen in a while.  Looks like you all had a great time... great memories for your son too.  GREAT JOB!!
View Quote

Ditto thanks for posting. My kids are now grown.  We still may try to do that trip but......now they will have to do the lifting and toting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everybody for the replies.

TZapp....we actually stopped and checked out the Woods Ferry Camp on our last trip. The little screened pavilions are very nice, the caretaker that stays there was very friendly. I've been trying to talk my daughter into taking a trip with me. Between the screened in platforms and the fact that there is a nice bathroom/shower facility there, I almost have her convinced.

Doing the camping from a canoe definitely gives you some good leeway as to what you can bring along, it's not like you have to carry it all on your back. There are some limits, but if you can get it all in your canoe and not sink, your pretty much GTG. If you're going to start above Big Shoals and have to portage around the shoals, then the amount of stuff you have is definitely a consideration. Our whole trip was below the shoals, so I was able to pack quite a bit. I'm really working on consolidating some stuff and reducing my load a little.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice! That upper part of the Suwannee is still relatively "wild and scenic", at least compared with the lower sections and other parts of the state (at least it was when I was there last).
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Fantastic!

Wife and I have been wanting to take a similar trip, when our daughter is a bit older.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Suwannee river. My aunts boyfriend has some hunting property along it in the Mayo Fl area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fantastic!

Wife and I have been wanting to take a similar trip, when our daughter is a bit older.
View Quote

We should plan an Arfcom canoeing/camping trip.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fantastic!

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Absolutely!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fantastic!

Absolutely!
I actually have one planned out, my brother and I were going to do it but he flaked at the last second

Nice 3 day one:

day one: meet at suwanee state park, get shuttled to spirit of suwanee, paddle a few miles and camp

day two: paddle most of the day, camp

day three: paddle a few more miles, reach suwanee state park around noon

Easy weekend, almost all the river is legal for camping there, lots of sandbars, etc.   great scenery, and pretty minimal expense.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I actually have one planned out, my brother and I were going to do it but he flaked at the last second

Nice 3 day one:

day one: meet at suwanee state park, get shuttled to spirit of suwanee, paddle a few miles and camp

Easy weekend, almost all the river is legal for camping there, lots of sandbars, etc.   great scenery, and pretty minimal expense.  

View Quote

I appreciate all you guys coming up and supporting our local economy, but I dunno how you are going to stretch two and a half says from Spirit of the Suwannee to the Suwannee River State Park.  That's like maybe thirteen miles on the river.  Even for novice and totally out of shape canoers, it's tough to even stretch that into a day trip taking a long leisurely lunch at Holton Creek.  If I was doing a lazy three day, I'd at least start at White Springs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I appreciate all you guys coming up and supporting our local economy, but I dunno how you are going to stretch two and a half says from Spirit of the Suwannee to the Suwannee River State Park.  That's like maybe thirteen miles on the river.  Even for novice and totally out of shape canoers, it's tough to even stretch that into a day trip taking a long leisurely lunch at Holton Creek.  If I was doing a lazy three day, I'd at least start at White Springs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice 3 day one:

This. With the river up and the current moving like it is, you could do 13 miles in a day almost without paddling. The difference between the river in November at 49 feet ( White Springs level) and now at 56-58 feet is amazing. You could probably do 4-5 miles an hour right now with very little paddling. The only way to make 13 miles last 3 days right now would be to only paddle an hour or so each  day. Like I said, we could have made the whole 22 miles from White Springs back to the canoe outpost in Live Oak and been there by 5-6 that evening, and that was leaving White Springs at 1000. My only other trip on the Suwannee was at low water with little current, so I had no idea how much faster the current would be this trip. The only way we could make this last trip last two nights was to stay at the same spot for two nights. Unfortunately, the rain didn't give us much choice. If the level stays up like it is, I'll definitely start further upriver next time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice 3 day one:

It's 21 miles on the river, last time I went the river was pretty low

Plus its not like you would be on the water at 8am on day 1, more like 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and day 3 was more of a travel home day.  Its not like its hard to extend the trip farther upstream if the current is moving.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I forgot on the mileage, Holton Creek to the state Park is thirteen miles.  Even at that, it'll take more camping than canoeing, but some people like that.

g8rgunner, if you ever get low on provisions, I always have a bottle of Laphroaig in the cabinet.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Absolutely!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic!

Absolutely!

Yeah that would be great! I have already taken some time off in late June The 20th through the 28th we bought season tickets to Wild Adventure and are going to take my daughter and nephew there throughout the week to play at the water park
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah, I forgot on the mileage, Holton Creek to the state Park is thirteen miles.  Even at that, it'll take more camping than canoeing, but some people like that.

g8rgunner, if you ever get low on provisions, I always have a bottle of Laphroaig in the cabinet.

View Quote
some of us like the lazy pace

as you said though, if the current is up, may have to extend it

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
What ever JUST give me some catfish and them taters !!  
Looks like a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like you had a great trip, despite a shockingly inadequate volume of gear and supplies...
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a good time.

Peace river would be a good river for many of us to take a trip on. Put in at

Zolfo Springs and pull out at Brownsville. Camp overnight halfway.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks like a good time.

Peace river would be a good river for many of us to take a trip on. Put in at
Zolfo Springs and pull out at Brownsville. Camp overnight halfway.
View Quote

When I lived in Polk County, one of my coworkers would catch Snook In Peace River.

The first time he told me that I thought he was yanking my chain, until he showed me
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome!  Great pics!  Looks like a fantastic adventure!  Thanks for posting this up!  Made me smile!
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic!

x2.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Great trip, thanks for the pix!  Spent many days on the Suwanee, Santa Fe, Ocklawaha, etc.  My favorite place is still Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge.
I like to put in at the East Entrance-Suwannee Canal Recreation Area near Folkston, Georgia and canoe rentals are available here.  Besides the unique landscape
you can put in and take out at the same place, flat water with almost 0 current so no need for a livery service, but you will need to make reservations.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Have a two night trip planned on the Blackwater River out in the panhandle near Pensacola next weekend, the 15th -17th. It's my son's Spring Break and we're going with another friend of mine from work. We've never been out there, but it looks beautiful in the pictures I've seen. I'll post pictures and an AAR afterwards. Anyone out in that area that's interested is welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top