Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 1:23:18 PM EDT
Ok well I just shot my first AK over the weekend and I'm planning on getting one... but i have a couple questions.

What caliber should i get? I can get either a 7.62 or a 5.45 ak for the same price... i guess i should go with whatever ammo is cheaper and more readily available. Could i put a ak74 style compensator on a 7.62 ak?

Is it hard to change handguards, pistol grip, and the stock? The ak's i'm looking at are hi cap converted wasr 10's with thumbhole stocks, so I plan on getting some us black polymer kvar furniture... would that be difficult for someone without alot of tools?

I'm only a 2 months away from being 18, and my father doesn't have a problem getting the rifle for me. But when i turn 18 would i have to some how legally transfer the rifle to my name?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
At your 18th Birthday, your father could transfer the rifle to you simply by handing it over to you.  In PA long guns are not required to be transfered via FFL dealers on a 4473 form.  As to the caliber and configuration, why not surf the AK section of this site.  AK's can be fun to shoot but they do have certain drawbacks.  The greatest of which is trigger slap.  This problem is cureable with an approriate trigger from Red Star Arms.  Also, there are limited optics platforms for the weapon.  Lastly as to caliber, 7.62 x 39 is cheap and available.  5.45 is also available but slightly more expensive but less felt recoil.  You can put an AK74 style brake on your AK style rifle but remember....those puppies can be OUFA loud.  Rather than rush into a purchase prior to your 18th, why not spend the time and get a good AK that will serve you well for many years.  Many who buy cheap AK's are not happy with the end result.

Regards,
Gary

editted to add:  and they wind up spending more money to make their cheap AK function by adding accessories and parts than they would have spent if they had ponied up the money in the begining and bought one from a reliable supplier.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok when i buy the rifle do i need to register it at all? Or do i just walk out the door with it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
just walk out the door, there is no regisration in PA

Good luck, be careful and have fun!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]
How would i go about getting an rifle i bought on the EE transfered to a FFL?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How would i go about getting an rifle i bought on the EE transfered to a FFL?

if you buy it from someone in PA you don't need a FFL you can do it face to face.  If it is from someone out of state you need to have them ship it to your local FFL and then just do it as a regular buy.  You will have a transfer fee that will be different from FFL to FFL but expect around $25
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The tradional AK round is 7.62 and will give you that tradional feel & (some say more importanly) sound, as well as the knock down power of the larger round. Either AK round can be bought at guns shows, ammoman.com, etc. without issue but I think you will find much more 7.62 than 5.46. BTW, make sure you buy the right ammo. Don't confuse the 7.62 calibers. You will need 7.62 x 39, not to be confused with the 7.62 × 51 (.308) round.

The 5.46 x 39 is a much smaller round.

Somebody can correct me I think that the AK47 = 7.62 and the AK74 = 5.46.

For the same $ and since this seems to be your first I would say 7.62 without doubt. It is more of a classic. If you later want a "smaller" round, go for a AR-15.

Good luck and let us know which way you went.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a WASR-10 hicap at a Dunhams sportsmans but ended up selling it.  Wanted something higher quality.  How much do you have?  If you have $500-$600 get a Vector Underfolder.  If you have $700 get a Arsenal.  If you have less than $500 get a SAR-1 or a MAK-90.  Spend the extra money and you will appriciate the quality of AK you'll get.  

As for caliber.  I have a SLR-105a1R right now.  It's made by Arsenal and is an exact AK-74 clone.  It fires 5.45x39.  No recoil at all.

For a first AK...especially with the ammo shortage now, get a 7.62x39.

Just my 2 cents.

CMS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top