Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:38 AM EDT
First, I'm not looking to start any kind of flame war at all. This is just me thinking outloud.

I firmly believe we are in for another terroist strike, probably several. My wife and I made a decision about a year ago to suck it up and send my 8 year old daughter to a private Christian school.

It's a great school, she loves it, and we think it's the right thing for her.

I have this gut wrenching feeling that this nice little school would be an excellent target for these jihad wack jobs, and one day I'm going to get a call saying the place is either under siege, or all those great little kids are already dead.

There is absolutely no security there, and nothing to stop this from happening except if they decide to pick another place.

I think they are here in mass, and continue to come here by various means, and for lots of reasons, we just can't or won't seem to do anything about it.

Taking the fight to them is a good thing, but what are we really doing to protect the home front? It's cool to talk about breaking out the Ak or AR after the fact, but if something happened to my little girl, it would be too damn late.

This is something I truly think about. It happens to other folks all the time, in lots of different countries.

I truly hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, one must plan for ALL things best he/she can.

Whats the old saying................ "Have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
No offense intended and don't think I haven't already thought similar things, but...

The strikes they may be thinking of doing will probably be on a grander scale than a private Christan school in Ga. The school may be in range of a very large public place and may get some collateral damage. They want to disrupt the economy and our way of life, there are plenty of other larger targets. I am two miles from a large rail yard, that has me worried just a bit. I work downtown near the 'city center', that has me worried. Just plan as best you can and talk with her, and your whole family, about what to do if some crazy people show up with guns and start yelling in a funny language. Preparedness is important.

Let's see what the other wackos have to say!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No offense intended and don't think I haven't already thought similar things, but...

The strikes they may be thinking of doing will probably be on a grander scale than a private Christan school in Ga. The school may be in range of a very large public place and may get some collateral damage. They want to disrupt the economy and our way of life, there are plenty of other larger targets. I am two miles from a large rail yard, that has me worried just a bit. I work downtown near the 'city center', that has me worried. Just plan as best you can and talk with her, and your whole family, about what to do if some crazy people show up with guns and start yelling in a funny language. Preparedness is important.

Let's see what the other wackos have to say!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Well said Byte, I mean I work at the "Busiest Airport in the World", I still understand Anykey's POV too, but we have to remember with people's reactons, etc.  If something were to happen, you're not going to go anywhere, because you'll have people clamoring for the Police and .mil to handle the situation, and they won't really care what happens except for "maintaing order", and some guy with an AR or AK that claims he's going to collect his daughter, will most undoubtably end up cuffed and stuffed somewhere till things cool down.

Face it, the general populace have not learned to prepare themselves after 9-11, and Kitrina, what would make you think that they would be prepared for another attack.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure how to prepare for something like this. I'm pretty clear on how to prepare for the aftermath of an attack, or disaster, but what to do to prevent something like this. Being alert, having a plan, knowing where to go, how to respond, is all good.

I agree with Byte 100%, showing up waving my favorite Ak will just get me carried off. None of us can just remove ourselves or our families from day to day living.

Honestly, it just makes me sick to my stomach, literally, to think about something happening to my daughter like that. Look at that school in Russia. Damn.

To me, this is the kind of stuff out Gov't is for. Round these guys up, ship 'em home, close the leaks at the border, continue the war. If not, it's just a matter of time.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go to the school administrator and in the least tin foilie hat way ask what they are doing for preparedness. Ask to see their plan and such. They may not have metal detector arches and other visible stuff, maybe they have more subtle things. If they are not looking at you and sizing up your sanity, ask what would happen in certain scenarios, what could it hurt?

One of our gung ho safety guys(safety is his LIFE!) was talking to one of our DR guys and wondered out loud about competent handgun owners(employees) in our building, he got this far off look in his eyes. As I was a fly on the wall(yes, I was supposed to be there with them) I kept my big mouth shut. Some here know I am a gun nut, but I certainly do not want to become a mother hen in an emergency...every man for himself!!! Well, sorta kidding.

Unirregardlessm, I would ask them, you are the customer, they are providing a safe environment for your child to learn.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The school should at least have a lock down plan in case they get alerted to something bad happening in the area.  When my 23 yo niece went to an Elementary School on Hi-Hope Rd many years ago (across from the old GC jail) that used to worry me.  

As already mentioned, I'd definitely ask them about their security.  You are handing over the most valuable thing in your life.  They have a duty to safeguard your kid.  You might even see how hard it is to breach their security.  Can you walk in a back door and go straight to your kid's class room w/o being challenged?  

The church where my son attends pre-school is relatively secure.  Only the front door is unlocked.  You can't get down the hallway where the kids are w/o by being seen by the two ladies in the office.  There are always two teachers in the room w/ the kids too.  

Home schooling is always an option, but that takes a huge commitment.  

I agree that there are more strategic targets in our area.  I've worked in the telecom field for the last 15 years.  If somebody was able to take out the Courtland Street Central Office, they'd knock down voice and data communications for most of the downtown businesses, and many in the surrounding areas .  That would be bad mojo for the economy.  AT&T lost something like a million T1 lines when the WTC towers came down.  Each one of those had to be reprovisioned and reinstalled.  It took many of their resources.  It affected everyone in the US.  Orders that normally took 30 - 45 days were taking 60 - 90 days for about six months after 9/11.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they aren't out to get you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't mean to hijack but:

Anykey, are those A7s in your avatar?

Were you a Navy pilot?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I am looking for a school that mounts Underfolders under the teachers desks.
Me "So what kind fo security do you have un case of a natural disaster or terrorist attack?"
Principle: "We have gas masks mounted on all desks, all teachers are former special forces from one branch or another and have ak47s mounted under thier desks. We have a tear gas sprinkler system. Each room has an emergency exit to the fallout shelter beneath the school. We have snipers on each corner of the building and bomb dogs that roam the school at night and live in kennels in the janitorial closets, with an emergency release that I keep on me at all times. Every wall in the school is brick reinforced with 4" concrete. All the windows have bulletproof steel shutters and we use NBC filters in all of our HVAC systems. We also have liferafts in each classroom. And every inch of the school, Inside and out, is monitored by closed caption tv at all times when even 1 child is in the school"
Me: "Hmmm, Looks like you have flash floods, terrorists, Trenchcoat mafia, nuclear bombings and outside attacks covered. But what about Volcanic eruptions?  Well, I guess it will work for now"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Were you a Navy pilot?

Those are A7's. I was not a pilot, I was an AQ, Fire Control Tech. Worked on the nav and weapons radar and computers on A7's. Ain't got the smarts to be a pilot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Were you a Navy pilot?

Those are A7's. I was not a pilot, I was an AQ, Fire Control Tech. Worked on the nav and weapons radar and computers on A7's. Ain't got the smarts to be a pilot.

The reason I ask is because my dad was a Navy A7 pilot...

I'll ask him what ship he was on...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
the likelyhood of jihadis hitting a small christian school in ga has go to be very low. i would teach your kids to think and have a plan in case of emergeny whereever they are. where are the exits. be ready with a plan, dont be a deer in the headlights. also be aware of what is going on around you, potential danger, people, fire etc.

sometime after 911 i remember an article about people having thought out what they would do in emgergecies and how some people froze during the twin tower attacks and couldnt decide whehter to exit or stay put and literally froze. some people who had been in fires took initiative and got out as fast as possible. they had a plan. they survived.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top