[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
photos.sleestak.net/albums/userpics/10001/burgerking.JPG

Now this would be both funny and disturbing
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
How they must hate the fact that the cunty was named after a slave owner. So was George Washington.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Reason number 2693 why I will never live in MLKing County.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I could absolutely live happily if I never heard this mentioned again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I could absolutely live happily if I never heard this mentioned again.

Bump.

Is King County really named after MLK?  I would have thought it was older than that.  Much older.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Is King County really named after MLK?  I would have thought it was older than that.  Much older.

R.I.F.

?  Which means?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
" "It is fitting that in the year we will celebrate 20 years as Martin Luther King Jr. County, we will finally begin the process that will lead us to a logo that displays his image," Gossett said in a written statement. "

WTF? Is this revisionist history or what? "20 years as Martin Luther King Jr. County"

April 23, 2005 Seatle Times Editorial

"In 1986, King County Councilman Larry Gossett and then-Councilman Ron Sims had a dream to rename the county after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Logically, it was simply a change in county ordinance — done the same year Congress established King's birthday anniversary as a national holiday. Politically, it launched a protracted battle that ended this week when Gov. Christine Gregoire signed a bill renaming King County in honor of Dr. King. "

It hasn't even been a year yet. Gossett needs to give up whatever it is he's smoking.

ETA: From the Wikipedia: In honor of his inauguration as Vice President, the newly formed Washington Territory named King County for him, as well as Pierce County after President Pierce, in hopes of gaining speedy admission to the Union by currying favor with the new administration (Washington did not become a state until 1889). King County still exists, but the county council in 1986 passed a resolution "setting forth the historical basis for the "renaming" of King County in honor of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr." In May 2005, Washington State Governor Christine Gregoire signed legislation formalizing the prior resolution officially designating King County's name to be in honor of Reverend Dr. King. This has caused some backlash in the community due to allegations of significant financial liabilities for royalty fees now owed to Reverend Dr. King's family estate.

Some historians have speculated that King may have been gay, and that he had a long-term intimate relationship with James Buchanan (it is not disputed that the two lived together for a time in Washington, D.C.). It is also said that King's detractors in the Senate referred to him as "Miss Nancy." The theory is controversial and a source of debate among Buchanan and King historians. Historian and author James W. Loewen is one of the theory's better-known proponents.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WTF? Is this revisionist history or what? "20 years as Martin Luther King Jr. County"

The County Council in 1986 changed the county's namesake from Alabama slaveholder and U.S. Vice President William Rufus DeVane King to civil-rights leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner Martin Luther King. The state Legislature last year adopted the change.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
"Some historians have speculated that King may have been gay, and that he had a long-term intimate relationship with James Buchanan (it is not disputed that the two lived together for a time in Washington, D.C.). It is also said that King's detractors in the Senate referred to him as "Miss Nancy." The theory is controversial and a source of debate among Buchanan and King historians. Historian and author James W. Loewen is one of the theory's better-known proponents."

Well............that certainly explains a thing or two....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Some historians have speculated that King may have been gay, and that he had a long-term intimate relationship with James Buchanan (it is not disputed that the two lived together for a time in Washington, D.C.). It is also said that King's detractors in the Senate referred to him as "Miss Nancy." The theory is controversial and a source of debate among Buchanan and King historians. Historian and author James W. Loewen is one of the theory's better-known proponents."

And I rub that in the face of every libtard I can . They picked a skirt chaser over a pole smoker!

And I know none of you guys prefer it still be named after the pole smoker..............Do you?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The County Council in 1986 changed the county's namesake from Alabama slaveholder and U.S. Vice President William Rufus DeVane King to civil-rights leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner Martin Luther King. The state Legislature last year adopted the change.

By the same logic Cedar county is a done deal. CG signed a bill that basically modified the Washington Constitution. Counties did not have the ability to change the name of the county until then.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It also explains why 1Gunrunner is following it with such great interest...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]
The King  vs The King of the Undead

http://www.bubbahotep.com/images/store/largemini.jpg
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]
When they got done remodeling the lobby of the King County Superior Court, I was surprised to see they'd installed a big old mural of MLK - on the floor.  Seems like a weird way to honor a man, letting all those people walk all over him.  

'Course, it's not the first time King County has made a weird decision.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Seems like all the MLK streets/drives/boulevards in Anytown USA are crime-riddled slum zones.  Don't know why, but it seems to always go that way.  Not sure what this might forshadow for the county.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Reason number 2693 why I will never live in.......
RE-fixt

not too cool....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#25]
IBTL
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]
IBTL +1
Way to fuck up a thread...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Happy MLK day for those of us who don't have to work today!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#29]
^^^^^  Cheers!  I love my gov'ment job =)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top