Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 2:10:58 PM EDT
Reading through crime stats by state, Alaska has a very high crime rate.
Why is this?
#1 in rapes
top 10 in violent crimes.
Alaska is worse than NY.
What gives?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope I don't offend anyone, but Natives are much of the cause.  After doing much research over the past few years, villages have a hugh rape problem.  Far as other crime, such as spousal abuse, Natives also.  However, some also comes from the military as their records are used in determining the crime rate.  I was suprised also with how high we are.  Needless to say, I carry CCW every day of my life.  So does my wife.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
cabin fever.

long stretches of darkness with nothing to do.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Alcohol in the Bush is the KILLER.  
We have no calls that are not related to Alcohol here.  If everyone on the road system of Alaska just knew what went on in the Villages they would relize where all the States money and resourses go.  
I will not get on my soap box to night.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Arcticbear--I agree.  I used to flyaround to the bush villages doing inventory for the native corp stores and a lot of the bush plane airports have listings that all booze is prohibited for even personal ownership, (for ones flying to those villages.)
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, OK.  So the crime in Anchorage or Fairbanks really isn't that bad. It is skewed from the high crime rates in the villages.  Looks like I will be moving there in about a year so that is good.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, I can't see the villages as being the deciding factor in those rates.  Every time I hear about the crime rate being high on this or that subject for Alaska--It usually slips the mind that those rates are per capita.

We are still small as population goes and the boredom/tedium/alch/cost of living..ect-->these factor in a lot more here than larger cities.

I remember a year when Little Rock Arkansas was listed as the gang-banger capital (in the late 80 I think).  Again--that was only per capita.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top