Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/30/2006 7:00:21 PM EDT
I work with a guy that *says* he has a Ohio CCW even though being convicted of a felony as a teenager. He said it's possible because the records were sealed and he was given a "youthful offender status" Me being new to Ohio I wasn't 100% sure if this was possible so I didn't challenge him on what he said... So is it at all possible?
I am inclined to not believe this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is possible under 2953.32 of the ORC. It is to be considered as though it never happened.

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I work with a guy that *says* he has a Ohio CCW even though being convicted of a felony as a teenager. He said it's possible because the records were sealed and he was given a "youthful offender status" Me being new to Ohio I wasn't 100% sure if this was possible so I didn't challenge him on what he said... So is it at all possible?
I am inclined to not believe this.

Interesting question. If an adult has felony record expunged which is the same as sealed, law enforcement still has access to the record and the local Sheriff can deny the applicant a CCL license. They are trying to get a new house bill through that will allow sealed record applicants to obtain a CCL.  I'm not sure if this also applies to sealed juvenile records.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I was able to talk with him a little bit more about it today....

He was arrested at 17 for a felony B&E (got drunk with friends and went "garage hopping" looking for more beer). He is now mid-30's and got his CCW permit 2yrs ago. His attorney said a sealed record could be found by police but never opened unless a judge ordered it to be and that it would have to be some major reason. He said the details and conviction are not able to be seen without opening it.

The sheriff (I won't say what Co. but it is not Columbus) asked about the sealed record and he told them he was unable to talk about it due to it being sealed and the question was dropped and CCW granted without further questioning on that subject.

He is going to bring in the actual permit later this week.

After talking with him today and his willingness to show the permit I am very inclined to believe him now.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
[unrelated] Your sig still kills me [/unrelated]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top