Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 5:08:53 AM EDT
I am looking into a varminter upper to put on one of the lowers that I am getting from JKiser.  I have been looking at an RRA 24" 1/8 upper.  I was looking at a Model 1     varminter upper with the same specs.  I would like a 24" to get the highest velocity out of MK262 loads.

There are a lot of you out there that know way more than I do, so any info or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I would also stay away from the Model 1 uppers, I have a Bushmaster V-Match 24" which I've enjoyed very much from the little I've shot it. I'd also consider the RRA, I have a 20 inch from RRA with a Wilson HB and its excellent. However I'm selling both of them because I simply don't need the 24" and I can't suppress the 20".
I haven't had any experience with the Stag units.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]

I would like a 24" to get the highest velocity out of MK262 loads.

How far are you planning on shooting this rifle? KBlagg, Kletz and Bookhound can all verify I had no problems hitting steel at 650yds. with my 18" SPR and my 77grn loads.
I agree in that I'd stay away from Model1. I have read of a number of folks who have the upper and say its accurate as hell. I have also read of a number of folks who have had a problem with Model1 stuff. I'd stick with RRA as there stuff is known to be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I would like something that is capable of moa or better groups out to 600 yards.  In reality, I will use it to shoot squirrels and crows out to 350 yards.  I have done some more reading, and I could go with a 20" upper instead of 24.  It would be lighter also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd opt for something like a RRA NM barrel. It's 20", heavy under the handgaurds, has a 1:8 twist is still accurate as hell.  Since it is a NM barrel (not only in name but because they are frequently used), it should have no problems getting 1MOA or better at 600yds.
The slightly thinner contour will cut back the weight for slinging it around for squirrels and crows.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#6]

and I can't suppress the 20"

Why not?

Re: new upper
Why don't you just get together with one of the guys on here that has the tools (or if you are in the NW corner of the state I will help you do it) and just build the upper you want? Contact Compass Lake Engineering and get one of their barrels, get a RRA, CMT, Stag upper with a RRA bolt /carrier (or get a matched bolt from CLE with your barrel). This way you will get a ~1/2 MOA upper with all of the options YOU want on it. When it comes down to it you will be MUCH happier with a 1/2MOA rifle than you will with a 1MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the Bushmaster or RRA . I don't have a RRA NM upperbarrel but a entry upper .It is of very good quality. But I do own a BushMaster CMP ( DMC model ) . Full blown Match rifle with Jewel trigger. It is a tack driver.  And I have been mostly shooting junk ammo through it. Need to get some cheap as I can get  but quality ammo. Any suggestion from you guys ? Im on a budget. Damn tactial rifle is draining me .. LOL... WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would like a 24" to get the highest velocity out of MK262 loads.

How far are you planning on shooting this rifle? KBlagg, Kletz and Bookhound can all verify I had no problems hitting steel at 650yds. with my 18" SPR and my 77grn loads.
I agree in that I'd stay away from Model1. I have read of a number of folks who have the upper and say its accurate as hell. I have also read of a number of folks who have had a problem with Model1 stuff. I'd stick with RRA as there stuff is known to be good to go.

Yeah, but he was shooting from the 600yd line!

J/K Lawman!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Bookhound,

I thought I saw a picture of you shooting a varminter at that precision shoot a month or two ago.  What barrel length is your upper?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#12]

You are welcome to try mine sometime.

Thanks for the offer.  I am about to go back to school, but I would love to shoot some weekend that I am home.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, it is appreciated.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks.  I live in Hoschton, less than a mile from West Jackson Middle School.  If all goes well, this will be my last semester.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
You got it!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to make it out to GunSite Hills with you guys sometime. Sounds like there is some local LR shooting knowledge that I would very much like to learn from.

I have a 20" HBAR upper w/ a 1:7" barrel sporting a Trijicon TA01 that I am yet to shoot.

I also have a 20" Remington PSS in .308 with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10X30 w/ a Mil-Dot recticle. I haven't shot it since the scope swap. I would like to re-zero it.

The SPR Mk12 Mod0 upper that the Leupold above came from is still sitting here, but it is (somewhat) sold.

That freed up a Leupold 4.5-14X50 LR that was on the Remy 700 before (just in case anyone needs one )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top