Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 10:26:04 AM EDT
Sad
CLEARFIELD - The maroon Honda Accord still lay one foot from the house it bounced off of, its front end smashed, its air bags deployed.
   The home's owner, Doug Mahlstede, went outside to see if the car's occupant was all right.
   "I asked him what his name was," Mahlstede said. "And he started rambling on about what he had done."
   The teen allegedly confessed to Mahlstede that he had just raped and killed someone.
   A few minutes later, officers found Rachel Elton at Youth Health Associates, a home for troubled youths, about a block away.
   Elton - a 22-year-old Weber State University student and an employee of the home - had been stabbed and sexually assaulted. She later died.
  The teenager, whose name was not released, was taken to a hospital after the crash and was in police custody Thursday.
   "The complete motive for this vicious and senseless act is unknown," police said in a news release. The suspect may have been infatuated with the victim, police said.
   The youth home contracts with the Utah Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS). It is an ordinary-looking one-story brick home with white trim and a carport located in a neighborhood at 396 Marilyn Ave.
   Chris Hughes, one of the home's owners, said female staff are not to be alone with the boys at the home, but on Wednesday a male employee was stuck in the snow and was late.
   The house is a residential facility for boys, or "clients," who are referred to them by DCFS, said Hughes. The clients are expected to go to school or work, but can otherwise come and go as they wish, he said, and a staff member is always present at the home.
   Hughes said the home is not meant to care for violent people.
   "Obviously we didn't know him as well as we thought we did," Hughes said.
   Police first

Advertisement

learned of the incident at 10:44 p.m. Wednesday when a car hit Mahlstede's house. Mahlstede - who said he and his wife and three kids moved here from California three months ago largely to escape the crime- reported hearing a loud bang and felt his house shake.
   Mahlstede and his brother-in-law went outside to see that the car had failed to maneuver the curve in the road, ran through shrubs, hit a tree and the house, denting and cracking the brick exterior.
   Sharon Hildebrandt, who lives next door to the youth home, said the boys at the home have never caused trouble.
   "There was one or two that was really nice [and] waved," she said.
   Hughes said Elton "cared a great deal about her work, a great deal about the people she served."
   Elton's grandmother, Beverly Elton, said Rachel took the job at the group home to pay her tuition at WSU, where she planned to graduate this year with a degree in criminal justice.
  "She was a wonderful, caring person. She had a desire to do well at anything she did," Beverly Elton said.
  Rachel Elton graduated from Tooele High School. She played tennis and the flute for the school band.
  Her funeral is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday.
   [email protected]
   ---
  Tribune reporter Elizabeth Neff contributed to this story.

I went to high school with Rachel, she was a really great girl friendly to everyone that knew her, and good lookin to boot. it is such a tragedy that someone would do this. Her parents are friends of my dad. I can't even begin to think what is going through their heads now. and the kid was only 17 so wof course he woon't even have the possibilty of the death sentence which is a horrible injustice
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]
horrible situation, my dad called me last night and told me, i was on the phone with all my old highschool buddies most of them hadn't heard yet it was a bad night.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Very sad.  I'm sorry for your loss.  

Sick bastards like that need to be put down.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Losing a friend is not easy no matter how it happened.  My condolences on your loss and I hope they fry the guy.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
problem is the guy was a minor and with the malvo ruling by the SCOTUS last year, he cannot be fried
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe he'll get his raping and murder in the Big house

one can only hope.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear this.

Karma...its a bitch.  He'll get whats coming to him even if the legal system cant cook him.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I am also sorry to hear of your loss. If they can't fry him, can they at least try him as an adult, and maybe incarcerate him like an adult? I'm sorry to say, but the prision system has its own version of justice and retribution. Maybe if he goes there, he'll experience some of the horror he put your friend and her family through.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
That is very sad to hear I am sorry to hear things like that. It amazes me how many people say they moved from Kali to get away from this stuff and then it happens around or too them(like the neighbor). A year or two ago a family from kali moved in around here and then the father lost it and killed his wife and 2 kids then shot himself. Just a half mile or so from me a lady moved from Kali to get away from the crime of kali and was killed. No one has even been convicted or even has a clue who did it or why. I just amazes me how many people think this is the friking promised land and there is no crime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I am so sorry to hear about your friend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That is very sad to hear I am sorry to hear things like that. It amazes me how many people say they moved from Kali to get away from this stuff and then it happens around or too them(like the neighbor). A year or two ago a family from kali moved in around here and then the father lost it and killed his wife and 2 kids then shot himself. Just a half mile or so from me a lady moved from Kali to get away from the crime of kali and was killed. No one has even been convicted or even has a clue who did it or why. I just amazes me how many people think this is the friking promised land and there is no crime.

Some of my in-laws think I am crazy for needing to carry a gun everywhere I go... I tell them, it's like wearing my seat belt. I have never needed it so far, but when I do, I'll be glad I used/had it.

At any rate, this is very sad. May she rest in peace, and may the bastard that did this rot in hell.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of my in-laws think I am crazy for needing to carry a gun everywhere I go... I tell them, it's like wearing my seat belt. I have never needed it so far, but when I do, I'll be glad I used/had it.

At any rate, this is very sad. May she rest in peace, and may the bastard that did this rot in hell.

I used to hear the same thing from my brother in law.  "You live in Utah.  Why would you need a gun here?"

Then I lent him my copy of More Guns Less Crime.  He doesn't argue against concealed carry anymore.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top