Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:19:25 AM EDT
Hi guys,
I live in TX but have a friend coming to visit from Maryland. He just bought his first AR-15. We will be taking him to his very first gun show. I was just wondering, would it be legal for him to buy 30 round mags here and take them home? I am trying to help him anyway I can to get him higher capacity mags LEGALLY. If possible, I would like to help him stock up on some PMAG 30's.

Now, If it is not legal for him to take back PMAG 30's....how about PMAG 20's. The only reason I am not sure about this is that I see AIMSurplus will not sell any PMAGs to Maryland at all.

Your help is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Maryland prohibits in state transfer of any mag over 20 rounds, but possession is legal. If he brings the mags back with him it is legal to bring 30's into to Md whole. If he ships them back to himself they are fine whole as he already owns them, thus no transfer. If you ship them back to him after buying them on his behalf they must be disassembled, thus considered "repair kits". Some dealers will ship a disassembled mag directly for a small additional fee, I'll be glad to tell you who by IM. If he receives them as parts kits he should technically drive them out of state to reassemble into new mags to follow the "letter of the law". You're a good friend to do the research for him...
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]

would it be legal for him to buy 30 round mags here and take them home?

Yes, but he cannot transfer them to anybody else in MD once inside the state.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
He can buy and drive a truckload of 30's back from TX.
He can have 20's shipped to his door.
He just can't buy or transfer them in MD.

It's a really stupid law.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a really stupid law state to live in.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Man we all have to lighten up around here.  Hell I am driving a truck with the door panel off so I can open and close the window, and tried shooting 20 ga out of a 12 ga shotgun

Bronz: brother I don't see anything about being seen with a mag in the car = it being a gun.

The posts indicate an opinion from the atty general saying it's cool!

Anyway - nice seeing you and Paul last week.  Saturday will have to do in the future.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Man we all have to lighten up around here.  Hell I am driving a truck with the door panel off so I can open and close the window, and tried shooting 20 ga out of a 12 ga shotgun

Bronz: brother I don't see anything about being seen with a mag in the car = it being a gun.

The posts indicate an opinion from the atty general saying it's cool!

Anyway - nice seeing you and Paul last week.  Saturday will have to do in the future.

AFAICT it's a "beat the rap but not the ride" situation.
I was told that straight up by a MD State Trooper and have heard it from plenty of others.
I completely believe you that it's not illegal but I'd love to see some statement from the SA to this effect.

It's particularly sucky if you're at an indoor range and getting charged by the minute.
That should be shooting time not loading time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah it was good getting out for some shooting.

Hey a least you didn't pull the trigger on the 12ga/20ga combo. The Col. and I started calling dibs on your gear.

He just didn't want to drop the 36,000 dollars for one of them fancy German combo guns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you open a door that's already open?
That's like some kind of frickin' zen secret.

Do you think that tire is heavy enough to make a wobbler out of?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a really stupid law state to live in.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
At least we don't have to go to the local sheriff to beg for a permit to purchase a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was told that straight up by a MD State Trooper and have heard it from plenty of others.
I completely believe you that it's not illegal but I'd love to see some statement from the SA to this effect.

It's particularly sucky if you're at an indoor range and getting charged by the minute.

FWIW, I've been told directly by both a MSP trooper and a DNR trooper that having a loaded magazine separate from a weapon is ok when transporting.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, I've been told directly by both a MSP trooper and a DNR trooper that having a loaded magazine separate from a weapon is ok when transporting.

Thus the confusion.

Some do some don't.
I know it's not illegal.
That never stopped the police from harassing you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top