Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 9:15:24 PM EDT
I just got finnished doing a light sand job on my stock and upper hand guard.What color is your stock.Mine appears to be a light tan.It also seems to not have been stained at all from the armory or Spain.Im just thinking I should hit it with a clear stain and BLO the wood.If I didn't tell ya Im haveing it teflon moly coated.There was anough surface rust that I had to get her into shape.He's going to bead blast her and spray her and bake it.Thats why Im working on the stock. Damn wished I could have made the shoot.Had to sit around all day.But did get outside and sat and sanded on the stock. It has small tiny dings.I got 50% out with a light sanding.The others thats left is what I call charactor .. :) Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Wardog, sorry to hear you are out of action for a few days, hope to see you at CE soon.

My stock had no stain as well.  I had to touch up some areas, and I just used tung oil.  It matched very well.

Were you avle to steam any of the dents out?  I have had good results in the past doing that.

Your bolt action assualt rifle sounds like it will look new when you get it back, I would like to see the end result.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thyanks, for the quick reply. The few Ive seen on the net looked to be unstained also.Can't wait to get her back together.....WD
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
OK I broke down and stained her Red Mahogany. The light unfinnished look showed up the dings to much.With the darker stain it blends them in with the woods natural dark streaks runnning through out. Forgive me LORD for I have sinned..WD
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
"Drop the stain rag and step away from the stock!"

Seriously, I am sure it will look great.  I remember some of the armory rifles had beech stocks, some walnut.  The beech (or ash, not sure which) were always stained darker to match the walnut stocks.  My issue rifle was a very light wood, not walnut.  

So, staining is not out of the ordinary for wood stocks.  

CE soon?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top