He signs my paycheck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
To quote Sarah Palin - WTF?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My boss has headed out to pick his rifle up from APA.

Was that so hard?

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My boss has headed out to pick his rifle up from APA.

Was that so hard?

Sorry. Not familiar. I'll google it or something.

eta:  OK.  Must be American Precision Arms.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
$4,084.98!

To quote Sarah Palin "WTF!"

I hope that it does everything - including washing dishes

It does look nice

http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#5]

It is a nice rifle.  

I see they install bolt knobs.  Maybe I'll give them a call.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!!

I just read over the specs & had a thought.  Could a longer rail be used so you could use two different scope setups?  Like a 2.5~15x50 for your main go to scope & use a RDS or scout scope when hunting close range?
Just a thought.

7mm
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]
And he just left with the rifle.  And the very first group it shot with 175-grain Corbon was .205.  Not too shabby.  

Mark
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And he just left with the rifle.  And the very first group it shot with 175-grain Corbon was .205.  Not too shabby.  

Mark

Mark,

What are your three favorite
Evaluation loads in .308?

I guess that CorBon 175gr is one of them.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
When testing factory loads we start off with Corbon then try Federal GMM in the same grain loads.  For the .308 guns we try 168s and 175s since they are most popular.  Some guys will also want a custom load developed.  Jered recently worked up two different loads for guys that resulted in consistent 5-shot groups in the .10" range consistently.  For certain customers Jered even worked up a load and then the customer had Corbon make him a large qty of the ammo and the rifle was so accurate it was boring.

I have an APR being built as well.  Your buddy will tell you more about that one.  We'll be shooting several APRs out to 700 yards next weekend.  

Mark  
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah, I forgot to add...

That group shot on your buddy's rifle was shot with a Leupold 10X scope with a TMR reticle.  Not exactly the best optic for shooting tight little groups.  Wish I could take the credit but Dave Walker was breaking-in the guns this morning in the cold weather.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember looking it up a month ago or so.....

Very expensive, even if I had the money, I have not the mind to truly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#12]
A high-end precision rifle certainly isn't for everyone.  Just as high-end performance cars aren't for everyone.  I can't imagine spending big bucks on a BMW or other high performance sports car.  I'd never appreciate or fully utilize the performance capabilities.  I also don't have a place to race a real high-end sports car.  These high-end rifles are just like that.  Many people feel they don't need the performance difference a higher end precision rifle can offer.  But to the shooter who DOES appreciate it and is willing to spend the money for the best performance possible it is hard to beat a quality build.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A high-end precision rifle certainly isn't for everyone.  Just as high-end performance cars aren't for everyone.  I can't imagine spending big bucks on a BMW or other high performance sports car.  I'd never appreciate or fully utilize the performance capabilities.  I also don't have a place to race a real high-end sports car.  These high-end rifles are just like that.  Many people feel they don't need the performance difference a higher end precision rifle can offer.  But to the shooter who DOES appreciate it and is willing to spend the money for the best performance possible it is hard to beat a quality build.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can appreciate the performance of high-end pea shooters too.  APA built one for me similar to the all purpose gun they build. I have put about 300 rounds down range so far and I have not gotten bored with it yet. They build a mighty fine pea shooter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Book.... did ya'll snap any pics before it went out the door?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]
APA is my favorite precision shop.
APA signature “Sneaky Bastard” McMillan A5
Rem 700 Tac
APA bottom metal
Marine tex Bedded
APA Bolt knob
NF 5.5-22X50 w/zero stop

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I had them build this for me - total weight with can and everything is 12# It'll be a switch barrel .308/.243 as soon as the .6mm barrel gets here

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had them build this for me - total weight with can and everything is 12# It'll be a switch barrel .308/.243 as soon as the .6mm barrel gets here

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/Lawdog734/Picture021.jpg

That's a good lookin' rifle!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
My competition .260 they built me.  Has about the same recoil as a .22 if not less.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the students in my February 13 Basic class is going to be using an APA Do It All Rifle.  Can't wait to see it in action.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Holy Shit.  I want.

Shep!  How much does your basic class run?  Or have I kinda gotten that from ya so far?  I haven't shot my rifle in a while, and I probably should be learning.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One of the students in my February 13 Basic class is going to be using an APA Do It All Rifle.  Can't wait to see it in action.

That'll be him.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope, TWO students will have APRs in your class.  One is a gun writer for a big magazine and the other is my buddy who picked his up today.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In a few hours I will be able to say,

"I know a guy that owns one
and I got to touch it".              

He signs my paycheck.

Dude!?.........OPSEC!        
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, TWO students will have APRs in your class.  One is a gun writer for a big magazine and the other is my buddy who picked his up today.  

So I'll be the guy NOT writing the article. Mark, Thanks to you, David and the rest of the guys for pulling everything together so I could take her out this weekend.

I'll try to put together a range report if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:31:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I happen to have a few pictures from the build process for this rifle.

All the parts (well, minus the trigger).

Jason starting the work of machining the barrel.  A Broughton #5.8 contour barrel is used on these rifles.  Finish length is 22".

Cutting the chamber.  

Working on the crown.

Crown almost done.

Stock ready for bedding.

After the first stage of bedding.

We install the flush cups and studs because, frankly, we do a better job than McMillian and we can control the exact location.

Flush cup on the rear of stock.

Getting ready to bed the bottom metal.

After the first phase of bottom metal bedding.

The test fit then clean up.  Bottom metal is APA's RTG.  It accepts all AI pattern magazines.  On the APR the acvtion is cut to use regular AICS magazines and also the 10-round AW mags.

Checking the flush cups and installing the bipod stud.  Note the bipod stud gets coated same color as all other metal.

Checking out everything on the rifle prior to coating.

I should have more pics later of assembled rifles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#27]
John, I think the Basic class would be great for you, lots of "book knowledge" that we didn't really cover.  After that, scoot through the Intermediate class and you'll be ready for some one-on-one Long Range Wind classes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
John, I think the Basic class would be great for you, lots of "book knowledge" that we didn't really cover.  After that, scoot through the Intermediate class and you'll be ready for some one-on-one Long Range Wind classes.

Aight, maybe this spring.  I hate shooting in the cold.  In fact, I am taking one of Pruner's agency classes this mon, tue, wed up in Pickens.  thats gonna suck!  I hate the cold.
I smy basic setup ok for one of your classes or should I upgrade my glass?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Book, thanks for the pictures. It's very cool to see how much work,how many hours and how many people involved just to finished one rifle. I think the attention to details on all APA rifles is a big plus beside they shoot like a dream and the "good enough,fuck it, ship it " is a big NO NO at APA really set them apart.
 Congrats to the new APA owner and go out shoot the shit out of it...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely!

I've seen him shoot more than once.
He's not too shabby, at all.
Sub-MOA and him are friends.

BTW, I'll get his AAR over coffee on Monday
and being on the clock, he'll be paying me for it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe 3 or 4 total, then.  I have a friend that's going to be there.  We tried to zero his POS yesterday (well, I tried to zero it but little things like making sure the rings were firmly attached to the base and turning the knobs the wrong way kept "us" from doing this), and I want him to be able to shoot both.  I might bring along another one just for fun, as long as Shep doesn't put up any Christmas balls.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#33]
is the LOP adjustable?  got some side profile shots?  
Quoted:
My competition .260 they built me.  Has about the same recoil as a .22 if not less.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/daishi123/IMG_0702.jpg

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#34]
The one in the pics that BookHound posted above does not have an adjustable LOP.  I am sure that APA will add that for you, it is an easier upgrade to do while they're building.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
is the LOP adjustable?  got some side profile shots?  
Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/daishi123/IMG_0702.jpg

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I believe all McRee stocks have an adjustable length of pull.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Book, thanks for the pictures. It's very cool to see how much work,how many hours and how many people involved just to finished one rifle. I think the attention to details on all APA rifles is a big plus beside they shoot like a dream and the "good enough,fuck it, ship it " is a big NO NO at APA really set them apart.  Congrats to the new APA owner and go out shoot the shit out of it...

It's funny that you mention that as one of the guys I work with who builds his own benchrest rigs, and more importantly - wins with them, looked over a rifle of mine that was built by another well known gunsmith outfit on the boards and wasn't impressed with it at all. It always shot great, so I've never had any complaints but the specs they allowed get out the door wasn't what you should expect for custom money. The attention to detail is obviously more apparent in the APA rifle and is in his words "the way a precision rifle is supposed to be built". The first time I had mine out with factory ammo, the first 5 shots were put into a group that you were hard pressed to tell wasn't a single .30cal bullet hole.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I believe all McRee stocks have an adjustable length of pull.

Yup.  If you were to look on the underside past the folding joint you'll see 2 screws.  Pop'em and you can realign to adjust your lop.  

I know everyone has their favorite stocks, but I seriously doubt I will ever do a REM clone build that isn't on McRee.  I love the stocks, and Mr. McRee is one of the nicest guys I've met in the gun industry....next to the APA Boys and Lawman :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Book, thanks for the pictures. It's very cool to see how much work,how many hours and how many people involved just to finished one rifle. I think the attention to details on all APA rifles is a big plus beside they shoot like a dream and the "good enough,fuck it, ship it " is a big NO NO at APA really set them apart.  Congrats to the new APA owner and go out shoot the shit out of it...

It's funny that you mention that as one of the guys I work with who builds his own benchrest rigs, and more importantly - wins with them, looked over a rifle of mine that was built by another well known gunsmith outfit on the boards and wasn't impressed with it at all. It always shot great, so I've never had any complaints but the specs they allowed get out the door wasn't what you should expect for custom money. The attention to detail is obviously more apparent in the APA rifle and is in his words "the way a precision rifle is supposed to be built". The first time I had mine out with factory ammo, the first 5 shots were put into a group that you were hard pressed to tell wasn't a single .30cal bullet hole.

Absolutely, APA will not ship until they are convinced it is perfect! I personally witnessed this with my rifle. They could have shipped it several weeks earlier had they not been sticklers for perfection. They are driven by perfection.....not production.

So I shot my APA this weekend. All I can say is WOW!. The groups were only limited by my ability. On the 100yrd bench my worst group was 0.6MOA (that was the group with the cold bore round). Best group was 0.25MOA. I averaged just under 0.5MOA. Which again, reflects my lack of ability, not the rifles capability.

At 200yrds prone I sucked! Best group was around 0.6MOA. I have some serious prone shooting demons that I'm hoping Shep will exercise next month.

I shot two 300yrd groups that were under 0.4MOA. Actually those were my only two 300 yrd groups.

I also hunted with it over the weekend. The 22" barrel and under 10# weight makes it a real joy to hunt with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top