Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2008 4:07:47 PM EDT
For the 1,453,286,456,981st time, Is any RKI up for an AK build?   I have a couple kits and flats that I need to build up, but I don't have the tools or knowledge to build them.

Link Posted: 1/18/2008 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't bend the flats for you. But if you have the receiver and the kit demilled, I'll help anyone assemble one if they need the tools or the help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
set a date, preferabily on a cold dreary day, because when it's nice out I'm gonna be busy with other stuff,

I got a few build tools, and am off on sundays.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Better yet, big boys guns in SE OKC has NDS receivers (last time I checked), with all the holes already drilled.

and some nice romy g kits for $150, and they sell all the compliance parts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe it would be better to do a dremel fold and weld, or get one of those laser cut flats, with tabs, that you fold by hand and weld.

I have never been %100 happy with bent flat dies.

I have my technique down and everything.

Actually, I have read some nice articles on heat treating AK receivers. It seems someone figured out the "magic" behind it.. You have to remove stress from the frame by getting it hot and letting stay hot for a long time, an then quench in swirling oil so the U channel cups the flow of oil.

I don't remember the specifics...
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Better yet, big boys guns in SE OKC has NDS receivers (last time I checked), with all the holes already drilled.

and some nice romy g kits for $150, and they sell all the compliance parts.

how much are receivers
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
$75 plus tax.

I bought two when I was there. They look awsome.

The bends are nice and tight, and everything was square. I built one already, and it did not require any tuning, unlike many other manufacturers.

The holes being predrilled takes out about half of the build time (not including removing the old rivets and receiver tabs from the parts kit)

If the kit is prepped (except for pressing out the barrel) and the receiver holes are predrilled, it takes about 1-3 hours to put together a working AK (depending on how slow you work, and how many times you get "lost in the metal" daydreaming.

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
$75 plus tax.

I bought two when I was there. They look awsome.

The bends are nice and tight, and everything was square. I built one already, and it did not require any tuning, unlike many other manufacturers.

The holes being predrilled takes out about half of the build time (not including removing the old rivets and receiver tabs from the parts kit)

If the kit is prepped (except for pressing out the barrel) and the receiver holes are predrilled, it takes about 1-3 hours to put together a working AK (depending on how slow you work, and how many times you get "lost in the metal" daydreaming.

For that price those must be the economy AKM receivers. They are $50 direct (I've bought a couple direct) from NDS. Of course, then you have to add shipping and FFL transfer fees. So it ends up being pretty close in price.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
nodak receivers are the best "factory" I've seen,

from their economy to RPK receivers.

I've got a .041 flat jig and spot welder for those who want to bend their own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top