Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2009 4:18:22 PM EDT

75 year-old Ohio man shoots armed teen during attempted robbery

Columbus' 10TV.com is reporting that a 75 year-old man who was walking his dog used a firearm in self-defense when an armed teen tried to rob him.

From the story:

The shooting occurred Monday morning while Richard Maiden was taking his dog for a walk.

Maiden said a teenager approached him and asked questions about his companion, Vinny.

"He asked me what kind of dog it was and I told him," Maiden said. "And about that time he pulled the gun, put it in my face."

Maiden said he handed over his wallet when the robber demanded, but he also pulled out his own gun.

"I told him to stop," Maiden said. "He didn't stop, so he pointed the gun at me and I commenced firing."

According to the story, the wounded teenager took off running, making it about a half-mile to a side yard where he collapsed. A neighbor found him and called police, who arrived and recovered a gun and Maiden's wallet.

Maiden, who is a retired liquor control agent, said he hopes the teenager recovers from his wounds, but he said he had no regrets about his actions.

"The next person he robs he might shoot," Maiden said. "So maybe this'll give him a little message."

Police identified the alleged robber as Keith Walker, Jr., 18, McEntyre reported.

He was in critical condition Monday night at Grant Medical Center.

The neighbor who found Walker in the yard has been charged with tampering with evidence after police say he allegedly helped Walker hide the wallet and gun from police, McEntyre reported.

Police said they do not expect to file charges against Maiden.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/6960
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
18yo robs a 75 yo man at gunpoint and gets shot. The victim hopes he's OK.

That is a better man than me. (I think I'd have let the dog have supper)
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yep.  Now our tax dollars have to pay for his thug ass in jail.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I love the POS that help the robber hide the wallet and gun?? He needs to do hard time.. as for the comment I hope he heals? what BS good riddens to bad rubbish,
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love the POS that help the robber hide the wallet and gun?? He needs to do hard time.. as for the comment I hope he heals? what BS good riddens to bad rubbish,

With the victom saying this, makes him look better in court. I bet inside, he hoped that the thug didn't live.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the victom saying this, makes him look better in court. I bet inside, he hoped that the thug didn't live.

He was probably being honest.

As for the neighbor, F you.  Someone who will help the guilty and harm the innocent like that... hope he gets prison time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 to my old Ohio buddies.

Ohio Sr. Citizen, who has been busting his ass working all his life, paying his taxes, playing by the rules, just decides to walk his dog,

and some young puke sticks him up

effing 18 year old oxygen-thief punk got what he deserved.

makes you wonder about the alleged "neighbor." prolly his lookout or accomplise.

Thank heaven our law-abiding Sr. citizen was carrying!

P.S.

Sara Brady, Schumer + Obama will now classify this criminal  as "child shot in neighborshood," since they consider any/all under 21 to be a "child." yeah––right.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I like it when a 75 year american get drawn down on while walking his dog, wins the gunfight and isn't charged.  With this economy and unemployment at new highs, we'll be seeing more of these stories.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Plus 100!

Quoted:
I like it when a 75 year american get drawn down on while walking his dog, wins the gunfight and isn't charged.  With this economy and unemployment at new highs, we'll be seeing more of these stories.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
That neighbor should be charged as an accessory to armed robbery. If he isnt, I would like to know the exact reason he is not being charged, and who the judge or prosecutor was. I pulled this definition off of a law website. It fits the scenario perfectly.
(A criminal charge of aiding and abetting or accessory can usually be brought against anyone who helps in the commission of a crime, though legal distinctions vary by state. A person charged with aiding and abetting or accessory is usually not present when the crime itself is committed, but he or she has knowledge of the crime before or after the fact, and may assist in its commission through advice, actions, or financial support. Depending on the degree of involvement, the offender's participation in the crime may rise to the level of conspiracy.)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Now our tax dollars have to pay for his thug ass in jail.

Don't forget about his ride in the ambulance, and the ER bill.  I'd be shocked to learn that this guy had health insurance, or a propper job for that matter...
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top