Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:54:36 PM EDT
SANFORD - Five people were killed before dawn Saturday in a house fire at a Lawrence Street apartment.

Officers with the Sanford Police Department and members of the Sanford Fire Department were called to the fire at 607 Lawrence St. around 4 a.m. Saturday.
Upon extinguishing the blaze, firefighters found three children and their parents dead inside the residence.

Killed in the fire were Jorge Ramiro Ramirez-Lopez, 37, Angelica Riberato, 31, Luis Fernando Cardenas, 10, Secar Cardenas, 6, and Nelsi Ramirez, 1 month old.

Detective Sgt. Jim Eads of the Sanford Police Department said Saturday afternoon that the investigation into the fire was ongoing, though no foul play appears to have been involved.

“The fire appears to have originated in the living room,” Eads said, adding that a preliminary assessment of the scene suggests that the fatal blaze began as an electrical fire. “There was heavy smoke damage inside the house.”


Eads said firefighters were able to enter the house shortly after arriving at the scene, but the fire began flaring almost immediately afterward.

The apartment was equipped with a smoke detector, but Eads said he was not sure whether it was working at the time of the fire.

Ramirez-Lopez was found in the kitchen while the other four victims were found in a bedroom, according to Eads.

Early Saturday afternoon, more than a dozen relatives and friends of the victims gathered in front of the house.

Felipa Hernandez, grandmother to the three children killed, wept while being comforted by family members.

Arnulfo Vazquez, 10, was a friend of the two older children who died in the fire and part of the large contingent who gathered.

Vazquez said the family had been living in the apartment for about a year, having moved here from Mexico.

According to many of the relatives who were there Saturday, someone living in a basement apartment in the same building smelled smoke and tried to notify the family above, but to no avail.

“He was up getting some medicine when he smelled some smoke,” Vazquez said. “He got out and went to their doors to knock.”

Eads said he did not know who lived in the second apartment.

Nestled in a working-class neigborhood just outside downtown between Horner Boulevard and Hawkins Avenue, the brick apartment house is owned by Ortega-Thornton Rentals and is located near the south end of Lawrence Street, where the street terminates at a set of railroad tracks at the top of a hill.

The sirens and lights from fire engines and police cars broke the pre-dawn calm in the area.

“I heard engines revving and that woke me up around 4:30,” said Walter Spivey, a Jackson Street resident who lives a few houses from the Lawrence Street home. “I got out of bed and saw the street was lined up with police cars.”

Spivey said he did not know the family who lived in the apartment.

“I knew there were some kids there,” Spivey said. “I remember seeing them play in the driveway around Christmastime. It was a nicely lit house.”

Eads said the five victims appear to have died from asphyxiation, though results of toxicology tests are pending.

Ortega-Thornton Rentals did not immediately return a message requesting comment.


sanfordherald.com/articles/2006/03/05/news/news01.txt]sanfordherald.com/articles/2006/03/05/news/news01.txt]sanfordherald.com/articles/2006/03/05/news/news01.txt
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:31:17 PM EDT
Years ago,early 90's late 80's ,I had a freind who lived in that exact apartment .It was kind of spooky seeing the picture and reading about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:08:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bayer:
Years ago,early 90's late 80's ,I had a freind who lived in that exact apartment .It was kind of spooky seeing the picture and reading about it.



wow that is freaky.


from what im hearing now their were no smoke detectors in the apartment. which is one thing the landlord is supposed to make sure is working and in there.

from what one of our local cops said in the paper that even though the firefighters got there within 30 seconds of the call there was nothing they could do.

because as you know fromwhere the fire house on hawkins ave to that house is 2 or 3 turns at most.
Top Top