Section 23 Effective date

JUSTIFICATION:  The 50-caliber weapon is one of the most dangerous weap-
ons  in  the U.S.   military`s arsenal. These weapons are used for long-
range tactical assassinations and assaults in the U.S.  Military.  These
deadly  weapons are accurate for up to 2000 yards (20 football fields) ,
or over one mile.

Although these powerful anti-personal weapons were designed for military
purposes, these weapons have appeared  in  the  civilian  market.  These
weapons  of war are readily available on the Internet and in gun stores.
Records obtained by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and  Firearms)
indicated  that  the largest manufacturer, the Barrett Company, manufac-
tured and sold over 2,800 50-caliber rifles between 1987-1998.

Investigators found that some of these weapons ended up in the hands  of
domestic  and  international  terrorist  organizations, religious cults,
international drug traffickers, and  violent  criminals.  These  weapons
serve absolutely no legitimate non-military purpose.

The  50-caliber  bullets from these military weapons travel at a tremen-
dous velocity and can travel great distance even after passing through a
target.  A prudent target shooter aiming at a wooden  target  should  be
certain that no one is within a distance of 2 miles beyond that target.

On  April  28, 1999, the United States Marine Corps Scout Sniper Schools
invited the {Democratic} minority staff  to  its  training  facility  in
Quantico,  Virginia, to see a demonstration of the fifty caliber weapon.

During the demonstration, the Marine instructors discussed the  destruc-
tive power of several fifty-caliber rounds.

They showed how an armor piercing round penetrated one inch thick rolled
homogeneous  armor  found  on  armored  vehicles throughout the world, a
three and a half inch thick steel manhole cover, a two inch thick  steel
track  from  a  tractor,  a piece of three quarter inch bullet-resistant
glass, and four cinder blocks with three quarter inch walls laid end  to
end.  Finally, a Marine shooter fired multiple shots in rapid succession
completely through a six-hundred pound safe.

- Congressman Henry Waxman

According to a report by the Violence Policy Center, Al Qaeda, Osama bin
Laden`s terrorist organization, purchased at least twenty-five  50-cali-
ber  weapons  from  a  U.S. manufacturer. This fact came to light at the
trial of terrorists convicted of the American embassy bombings in  Afri-
ca. Al Qaeda also purchased range finders, night vision scopes and night
goggles  which  the  manufacturer boasts will make the weapon "even more
effective under cover of darkness."

This bill will ban the possession, sale and use of 50-caliber weapons in
order to protect our citizens and our law enforcement personnel who risk
their lives to keep us safe.

PRIOR LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: 2004: A7039a - passed Assembly
2005: A4471 - passed Assembly

EFFECTIVE DATE:  Immediately

Fair Market Value...Wonder who determines that.

All I know if this goes through I take my 50 and put has many 50 rounds through it has fast has I can. Get that barrel cherry red and hit it with a hammer. Then sell it to these A-holes. Then hope they do not destroy it but try to use it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
We have to change the system. You shouldn't be allowed to try and pass laws about things you know NOTHING about.

Ban the Boogyman. Then tell everyone how you saved them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were a soldier and knew my .50 would be captured by the enemy, I'd drill a very small diameter hole into the barrel in the area of the chamber.  The gun will blow up and kill who ever is using it at the time.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess long range target competition is not sporting use.  I also thought our government did not carry out what this bill calls "assasinations".  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It's probably due to the large number of crimes committed with 50 cals    or the ever popular Murphy's Law.

+1 for cas comments on them knowing nothing!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]

The gun will blow up and kill who ever is using it at the time.

Not my objective to kill anyone

After all the guy I would have to turn it into is not the guy who wrote the law.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
This sucks, I was just planning on buying a .50 Beuwolf upper!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This sucks, I was just planning on buying a .50 Beuwolf upper!

I believe that the Beowulf's technically measure at .499
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If a confiscation clause actually goes through with this pos piece of legislation, I will simply be amazed.

How can a gun ban actually be worse than California's!!! Which gave people a good amount of time to get a ,50cal before the registration date.

Now, with all the fucked up roads in NY and other issues.........they are going to pay out a ton of money to confiscate rifles based on BS reasoning!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
It's passed assembly a few times , in a couple of forms , but ....

See the actions section here : Bill Summary   -   A04471

A04471 Actions:
BILL NO    A04471

02/10/2005 referred to codes
05/17/2005 reported referred to ways and means
05/24/2005 reported referred to rules
05/24/2005 reported
05/24/2005 rules report cal.71
05/24/2005 ordered to third reading rules cal.71
05/24/2005 ruling of chair on point of order
05/24/2005 passed assembly
05/24/2005 delivered to senate
05/24/2005 REFERRED TO CODES
01/04/2006 DIED IN SENATE
01/04/2006 RETURNED TO ASSEMBLY
01/04/2006 committed to rules

If they ever do manage to pass it in it's current form .
It will include rifled shotgun slugs from 12 to 28ga and
the 50AE , 50GI , 50 Beowulf , 50/70gov 500S&W , 500 600 700 NE .
Just because they are sold as 50cal + .

It's also mentioned here : Fighting Gun Crime -January 2006

The Senate also blocked legislation (A.2466) that would keep police from being out gunned by banning military-style assault weapons, which are responsible for one in five officers killed in the line of duty from 1998-2001. The Senate blocked these measures despite the fact that both were endorsed by 143 police and sheriff’s departments across the state.

Other measures the Senate has failed to even allow a vote on include:

a ban on convicted felons obtaining firearms (A.1170);

a bill to expand the ballistics identification databank to assist law enforcement officers in tracking down guns used in crimes (A.968-B);

a bill requiring law enforcement officers to report guns, spent bullets and shell casings found at crime scenes to the ballistic identification databank (A.2213);

a ban of the military-grade .50-caliber assault rifle which can penetrate a Bradley fighting vehicle and can be used by terrorists to shoot down an airplane from a mile away (A.4471-A); and
the Children’s Weapon Accident Prevention Act (A.673).

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:08:21 AM EDT
[#10]

After all the guy I would have to turn it into is not the guy who wrote the law.

If i did in fact own a "50", i wouldnt be turning it into" a guy" thats beacuase it fell into one of the fulton chain of lakes on a canoeing trip last summer. Just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone else find it distressing that the USMC used our tax dollars to give those assholes a demonstration?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW, the 25 .50 cal guns that fell into Osama's hands were actually sold to the US government, who gave them to Osama to use against the Russians. This state is  lost to reality, and after  the 2006 elections, will probably be ruled by Democrats in both houses. It's time to look for land somewhere else. I saw a northern Texas property with 25 wooded acres, 25 acres of pasture with a stream, a barn, 2 heated sheds and a good sized house for $150,000.  Taxes are $600 per year. Hmmm...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]
thats BS.  where is the NRA in all this? the 100bucks i donated last month could have paid one of the guys plane ticket t ostopp that bill.lolol
if it goes though. Im movin out of this state. its getting worse then califonia
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Lord hope it never comes to it... but I wonder how it would work? If you unscrew the barrel from your rifle and turn it in, you no longer have a .50 cal weapon.  Then you re-barrel to a 50BMG based wildcat.

The ".495 FUNY"  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Lord hope it never comes to it... but I wonder how it would work? If you unscrew the barrel from your rifle and turn it in, you no longer have a .50 cal weapon. Then you re-barrel to a 50BMG based wildcat.

The ".495 FUNY"

Not really funny but maybe true. The only other problem they will go after ALL centerfire ammo next. They talk about AP ammo. We know that it is Illegal. What they mean any ammo that goes through a Bullet Proof Vest. So there goes all hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lord hope it never comes to it... but I wonder how it would work? If you unscrew the barrel from your rifle and turn it in, you no longer have a .50 cal weapon. Then you re-barrel to a 50BMG based wildcat.

The ".495 FUNY"

Not really funny but maybe true. The only other problem they will go after ALL centerfire ammo next. They talk about AP ammo. We know that it is Illegal. What they mean any ammo that goes through a Bullet Proof Vest. So there goes all hunting ammo.

I think the day they ban "military ammo" will happen. I remember back in the early 80s when you could get an AR-15 in .222, they were made for the foreign markets (mexico I believe) where military ammo was banned. Now all semi autos are banned in mexico. The 2nd amendment protects the rights to keep and bear arms, not ammo.

Hunting ammo insnt going through a bullet proof vest, at least not a level IV, unless its bigger than a 300 mag.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The ".495 FUNY"

I saw a few years back a wildcat that was made with a 50BMG necked down to accept a 30 caliber bullet. Kicked ass! I wish I could remember the name of it. Shot way higher velocity, flatter, and farther than a 50. Ban the 50 and there will be something better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
"What will go through a bullet proof vest". Meaning most rifles, and a good number of pistols.

Do you really think they'll use a high level vest as the standard?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to see something try to rob a bank with a .50 caliber rifle. Majkes a great weapon concealed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#20]

I saw a few years back a wildcat that was made with a 50BMG necked down to accept a 30 caliber bullet. Kicked ass! I wish I could remember the name of it. Shot way higher velocity, flatter, and farther than a 50. Ban the 50 and there will be something better.

Maybe it was a 338 Lapua.

The problem is why would I want a 50 necked to a 30. The idea in spending all that money on a Barrett was for a 50cal. This is starting to really suck and I hope this dies real fast.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:42:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:44:12 AM EDT
[#22]
The biggest threat to American security is a f-ing LIBERAL DEMOCRAT
BAN LIBERALS!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hunting ammo insnt going through a bullet proof vest, at least not a level IV, unless its bigger than a 300 mag.

They don't measure it against a level IV vest, they measure it against the II, IIA ir III vests being worn by officers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Listen a 50 is going to do damage no matter what vest you got on.

We are talking of taking a sport rifle away They say Black Powder isn't affected only Center-fire. Well that's nice since we all shoot center-fire at competitions. A question was asked at Snipershide.

HOW MANY OF THE POLICE DEPT'S YOU WORK FOR HAVE 50'S?

Almost everyone there said that their dept sees no advantage to a 50 and would not have one.

The perception of a 50 is so taboo it amazes me. I hate to also say and I have lots of respect for Barrett. Ronnie with his advertisement has certainly done a dis-service to allowing us to have these. Every place you look they all quote what he said and put in writing. Sometimes I wonder if trying to sell a product out weighs the implications it causes for individuals who own the product.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I know that I am in AR but I just moved here from NY. I checked out this thread for the fun of it. But then I read this line:

"These weapons serve absolutely no legitimate non-military purpose"

I fell off my rocker on that one. The second amendment is there so that we may have millitary wepons regardless of caliber or action so that if the government ever tries to take our rights away, we have wepons of equal stoping force to ensure that our rights are preserved.

Come on down to AR, it is in the upper 50's ,not a flake in the sky and best of all, if you want a gun then get it. With the right paperwork even full autos, SBR , and silencers.

That Bill is you tax dollars at work. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#26]

I saw a northern Texas property with 25 wooded acres, 25 acres of pasture with a stream, a barn, 2 heated sheds and a good sized house for $150,000. Taxes are $600 per year. Hmmm...

Where is this at and

Come on down to AR, it is in the upper 50's ,not a flake in the sky and best of all, if you want a gun then get it. With the right paperwork even full autos, SBR , and silencers.

Find me a place to live with a good school system.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I think my nieghbors are moving out. And we have two schools systems. So if you don't like one try the other.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Im up for a road trip to check it out.

AZ, TX, NM, and if I have to stay cold PA these are the places I have been looking into. Along with Hawaii but their gun laws are not that hot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top