Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2003 7:43:16 PM EDT
POC=[email protected]

He's got the details I'm just the errand boy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I may try to make this one.  We should try to put together something for next weekend (Aug 9 or 10).  Sultan, Elma, I'm not real picky
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
A word of warning regarding shooting at GF.  There is a burn ban now in effect for the region (signs are posted all over the place in Granite Falls).  Word is the property manager for the location has contacted the Sheriff and has given them authority to remove anyone from the property who shoots or lights anything.  

This location is not public property...it is privately held.  Right now things are fragile enough that it probably won't take much to shut the place down for good....they've already succeeded in shutting down all other locations along the Mountain Loop Highway.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't sound worth the risk to me.

How about someone more reliable than I am set something up down Chehalis? ;)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya your right vapors, I live in town here & they have shut down all the good areas along the loop. Might have some PP that belongs to my brothers relates that could be used on a descretionary basis. Checking on it.Where you @ ?

.........Paul
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ya your right vapors, I live in town here & they have shut down all the good areas along the loop. Might have some PP that belongs to my brothers relates that could be used on a descretionary basis. Checking on it.Where you @ ?

.........Paul

I'm guessing it will open again once it starts raining....which will probably be about the 3rd week of September!   I'm probably best known up there as the "IPSC shooter"!  I practice almost every weekend....when I can.  I live in Lake Stevens so I'm about 15 minutes from the pit.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]
That IPSIC/IDPA thing sounds like a hoot. My buddy does that along w/ the plates. He is helping getting me get ready for IPSIC /IDPA by doing the plate thing right now. Multiple targets @ multiple distances, giving me an ear full when I start to crouch, I'm sure you know the drill. There seems to be some anamosity between IPSIC & IDPA, & seem to be alot of rules (not safety) from an outsiders view. What's your take ? I hope no one is offended by using IDPA. And IPSIC in the same sentance ;)

...........Paul
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow...where do I start on this one :)  I started shooting IPSC back in 1993 and more seriously in 1998 so thats the "game" I'm most familar with...I've just begun to shoot IDPA because some of my friends who shoot it alot suggested I give it a go.  

IDPA is more structured, the rules are more restrictive and the round count is usually low and the distance to targets are typically shorter then IPSC. In IPSC, the rules are less restrictive (they don't typically tell you...engage target X from here .... its typically shootem' as you see em') the equipment restriction are looser, the round count per stage is higher and the targets maybe at a greater distance.  

Having said that, I think IDPA would be a good place to start out....because the restrictions I think make things easier for a new shooter...you have enough things on your mind as it is....so being told to only shoot target X from here is one less thing to think about.  Contrary to what you may have been told or heard...IPSC is not an equipment race...typically the equipment you use in IDPA can be the same equipment you using in IPSC.  IPSC created two new divisions in the last couple years...Limited-10 (which has traditionally been a "Colt" 1911 single stack division) and Production (which is "production" guns like Glocks, Beretta's, etc).

Shooting plates is a good place to start....it forces you to see WHAT your shooting and using the sights rather then just seeing a big IPSC/IDPA target and blasting at that...aim small...miss small!  Once you hone your skills on plates...the paper targets will probably seem much easier.

Your timing of interest couldn't be any better.  Aug. 16-17 is the Washington State IDPA Championship at the Renton Fish and Gun Club http://waidpac03.home.comcast.net/wsidpac_main.html  there is also a local group on Yahoo for the IDPA shooters (go to groups in Yahoo and do a search on NWPPA).  If your interested in IPSC...the local page is at: http://n2ipsc.home.comcast.net/teamnwa.html  

For more information on competitive pistol shooting, check out Brian Enos site and forums at: http://www.brianenos.com

and lastly....if you happen to be around a TV on Thursday night (Aug 7th...tomorrow) check out Evening Magazine on King5.  There's a story on Lisa Munson (local female shooter is who top IPSC woman in the country right now).  You can also read a similar story here from the Seattle Times.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/snohomishcountynews/2001308205_namegame30n.html

If you have any other questions about either game...let me know and I'll try and answer them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Vapors !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the great reply !!!!!!!!!

...........Paul
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]

How about someone more reliable than I am set something up down Chehalis? ;)

if that someone set something up for aug. 23 (saturday) at chehalis. that would be cool.  i think i have that weekend off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm bringing this back up.

Any updates on this?  I saw our rocket scientist in Puyallup and he was hoping we'd still be able to pull this off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm bringing this back up.

Any updates on this?  

On which one, Granite Falls or Chehalis?  I'd like to do both if my schedule will allow.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty sure Phil means the 30AUG GF shoot
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I'm talking about the 30AUG GF shoot.

If there's one happening this weekend in Chehalis I'm out for that.  I have to take run to B.C. and look at some hockey gear instead.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmm I could be in for this. Is it still happening?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as I know it is. Someone just went shooting up there and didn't see any closure signs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Count me in!

Ok, it is me, Jeff, the guy Tweak posted this for.  I am still planning to go assuming we get some rain or we get verification that the fire department isn't gonna sick the sheriff on us.

jeff
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Where is the location ? I would assume out on the loop somewhere ?

...........Paul
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Count me in!

Ok, it is me, Jeff, the guy Tweak posted this for.  

Hi shootinfun (Jeff), Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Count me in!

Oh, look who decides to show up, I see you finally figured out the registration system.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I can take a hint.........back to lurking
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Where is the location ? I would assume out on the loop somewhere ?

...........Paul

What we should do is pick a place to meet in the morning and do breakfast.  That way anyone who has no clue as to where we are going, like me, can meet up with the guys who do know.  Plus a little bacon and cheese omlet never hurt anyone before going blastin, did it?

Tweak, check your IM
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Whiskey we've usually linked up at the chevron(?) station just outside of glamorous downtown Granite Falls and then caravan to the shooting spot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Fine dining is offered by the McDonalds colocated with the gas station.

Meet at 10:00 AM at the gas station?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
enigma1/Paul,

Scroll up to the first post and email the guy putting it on. Most folks here don't know where the shoot is being held either, makes it difficult for them to answer your Q.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to go but the buffer detent spring is got bent and now the it won't hold the buffer in so I can't go. Got to order that plus a reciever extention for my new vltor a1 length stock. Have fun...
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey Tweak,  Whew ....I was thinking I had just barged my way into a closed society & was being ignored in hopes I would go away. E-mailed Jeff last P.M. He said great but no directions. Oh well enough of my analizing. Me & some friends looking to meet you guys, shoot & check out some cool toys.

........Paul
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hey Tweak,  Whew ....I was thinking I had just barged my way into a closed society & was being ignored in hopes I would go away.

Lighten up Francis!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#28]
HeHe .......I knew I had that comming 2WP !!!!!!!

...........Paul
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
One week to go.
Is this still on?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey Vapors, I recently was propositioned by a friend wanting really bad to put some money down on a hot car to buy his pistol for $400, I looked into it and thought it was a good deal-
What is your opinion of the Springfield Armory V10?
Nice, compact, .45 and all that, I've never had or shot one before and am looking forward to warmin' this one up! Oh yeah, a half a box through it so far, he basically just got it, which reminds me, what is it's favorite ammo?

Let me know that you think of this model and if we can shoot on the 30th I'll see you there too.

My best buddy BusMaster007 told me about the shoot last night on the phone, lets hope we can be there...
Thanks,
Prospector
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hey Vapors, I recently was propositioned by a friend wanting really bad to put some money down on a hot car to buy his pistol for $400, I looked into it and thought it was a good deal-
What is your opinion of the Springfield Armory V10?

Well I've never shot a V10...but I have shot a Springfield 45Super Longslide V12.  Generally speaking...gas ports in a compact/defensive pistol are NOT considered a good thing.  You get a nice vertical flame right in front of your face that temporarily blinds you.  If it were me...for a carry gun, I'd stay away from anything with ports.  As something fun to shoot...it would probably be pretty good....I shoot a Springfield fullsize in IPSC competition but my gun has no ports (ports would move me into open class).

Compact 1911's can be finicky to get to run reliably....putting ports on the barrel makes then even more so.

he basically just got it, which reminds me, what is it's favorite ammo?

Probably anything with a jacket bullet (lead bullets can guck up the ports).

I'm not going to be making the Aug 30th shoot...previous plans.  But I have a request to make to the group.....please don't touch off any tannerite.....it is EXTREMELY dry up there...the Burn Ban is still in effect...if you light this place up...you can guarantee NO ONE will ever be shooting there again.....and don't be surprised if the Sheriff shows up and tells you to leave.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I just got word that this is still on. We should be at the pit around 11 am.

Here's the directions, they're from a file at the WA-Shooters group so don't blame me if they're illegible.

I-5 north to Everett.  East on US-2 (toward Steven's pass).  Get in the
left lane.  At the east end of the trestle it splits left and right (right
is the main road that goes to Snohomish); take the left fork.  It
immediately forks again, stay in the left side and go up Highway 204 (I
think) to Lake Stevens.  At the first light get in the left lane.  At the
2nd light turn left/north onto Highway 9.  Go north to Highway 92; it's well
marked and there is a traffic light. Turn right. Go up 92 until you get to
Granite Falls.  You'll know you're there when you see the McDonald's on
your right.

Head east from Granite Falls (i.e. the same direction you came in to
Granite Falls) on Hwy 92...they also call it E. Stanley street in town.
You're going to hit a 4 way stop with a bunch of signs...one says Mountain
Loop Hwy and points to the left...turn left.

Now's where the directions are going to get a bit fuzzy.  You need to drive
about 6 miles out of town on the Mountain Loop Hwy.  At about mile 5, you're
going to start heading up a big, long hill.  Almost at the top of the
hill, on the left side of the road, you're going to see a road that's blocked off with a gate. This is your clue to start slowing down as the very next
possible left you can take is the entrance to the pit. There some room on the left side of the road to park.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Meeting at the gas station, or going straight to the pit?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#34]
My daughter and I plan to attend, and we'll probably go to the McChevron first.
Don't know exactly what time, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#35]
AFAIK, going straight through to the pit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#36]
If anyone intends to or wants to arrive in GF earlier than 1100, let me know and if need be I'll go up early and use my truck to mark the spot where it's at.

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'll go up early and use my truck to mark the spot where it's at.

So we shoot towards your truck then!?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Hmmmm, a truck in Granite Falls. That should stick out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hmmmm, a truck in Granite Falls. That should stick out like a sore thumb.

The only truck in GF with a No-McUzi sign on it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, how did everything go?
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Well, how did everything go?

You'll never know Mr no-show.

and FYI don't try to use aluminum scuba tanks for cover from a 308.  They don't work very well in that capacity.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You'll never know Mr no-show.

2WP is "Mr. It's too <sniff> far <sniff> to <waahhh> drive show"

It was an hour and half from his place to GF. That was going through Snohomish from 405 instead of taking 405 to 5 and up to 2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top