Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:57:07 PM EDT
Starting with Bumbershoot and moving on to the Huskies and Seahawks, plus some training for the upcoming Tunnel closure in Downtown Seattle, and adding in a few 12+Hour days, I've signed in at 'The Window' for 19 days straight, with another 14+ coming up~!

I guess it'll look good on the paycheck!

Anyone else do a stretch at work so long you didn't really CARE what day it was?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to my world!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked in excess of 1,000 hours of overtime in one calendar year at a job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well cripes!  No wonder you have cool toys!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's a helluva LOT of OT.
How many days did you go in a row?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well cripes!  No wonder you have cool toys!

It was 1990.  Now when I see even one hour of overtime on a check I brace for yelling at that can happen easily at my company for overtime when they don't think you needed to work it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a helluva LOT of OT.
How many days did you go in a row?

I don't recall but there were 24 hour shifts and plenty of 16 on 8 off turn arounds.

I was running the call center for an alarm company at the time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have worked two jobs seven days a week since July 2004.  I have had a day off here and there plus a week off in Jan.  Man I'm pooped!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Starting with Bumbershoot and moving on to the Huskies and Seahawks, plus some training for the upcoming Tunnel closure in Downtown Seattle, and adding in a few 12+Hour days, I've signed in at 'The Window' for 19 days straight, with another 14+ coming up~!

I guess it'll look good on the paycheck!

Anyone else do a stretch at work so long you didn't really CARE what day it was?

I work for the company doing the Para-Transit Service in Sno County.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have to look at my paystubs, but we generally do 55-60 hours a week, everyweek.

With my Uncle dying last week, the 4 day trip to Cali was a well earned break, despite terrible circumstances and being in California. Home cookin and family and friends were a big plus. I will do two weeks off sometime this fall back in Ohio, rest and relaxation for a bit, and then back to the sweat factory. Ha, as if I really work.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked a few Pollock Roe seasons in AK that were crazy as far as hours.

6 on 6 off durring the slow time, add a "kicker" shift when things get busy of 3.5 hours on one of your 6 hour off times. Once we found the fish (usually three days or so after the steam out where they had us cleaning like mad dogs) the 16 hour days commenced.

Offloads came once every two weeks with 16 on 6 off in port. Off loads generally took 24 to 36 hours.

I once fell asleep in a phone booth calling my wife in a blizzard in Dutch Harbor. I had serious sleep deprivation and was halucinating on and off because I had volunteered to commandeer the shopping list of beverages for my bunk mates in town, I remember a rat trying to get in out of the weather huddled at my feet talking to me. Don't remember what it said though. Conveyor belts on the dock were blowing over as we offloaded. All this goodness was followed by going to the can and falling asleep on the shitter till my next shift.

Two and a half months of this and the day of the week wasn't even a consideration.

What made this all worth while was seeing the bulletin board in the galley where they would post the catch and the prices the product sold at. The ships Perssor would also break down the various pay rates and what the catch amounted to in daily pay for each class. It's amazing what that can do for morale when you are working insane hours.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been at "work" since August 28, 2000

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I once fell asleep in a phone booth calling my wife in a blizzard in Dutch Harbor. I had serious sleep deprivation and was halucinating on and off because I had volunteered to commandeer the shopping list of beverages for my bunk mates in town, I remember a rat trying to get in out of the weather huddled at my feet talking to me. Don't remember what it said though. Conveyor belts on the dock were blowing over as we offloaded. All this goodness was followed by going to the can and falling asleep on the shitter till my next shift.

Thats funny!  I can relate somewhat. My sleep deprovation was no where near as extreme as  yours was, but I can relate  to the halucinating.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Good  ol Uncle Sam is going to be balls deep in that check.  

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

45 day field problems in the army come to mind.  Worked the night shift, so I never really saw much daylight for most of that time.  Then there was the 3 weeks before I ETSed where they had me doing staff duity every other day...that kinda sucked, but I KNEW what day it was during that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

45 day field problems in the army come to mind.  Worked the night shift, so I never really saw much daylight for most of that time.  Then there was the 3 weeks before I ETSed where they had me doing staff duity every other day...that kinda sucked, but I KNEW what day it was during that.

PCR, you were in the Army?  That's hot.  I'll dress up as leia, if you dress up in your army gear...forget Han Solo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PCR, you were in the Army?  That's hot.  I'll dress up as leia, if you dress up in your army gear...forget Han Solo.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#17]
You ANIMALS.
My streak is alive with a Seahawk Special tomorrow.
I don't give a shit WHO wins...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You ANIMALS.
My streak is alive with a Seahawk Special tomorrow.
I don't give a shit WHO wins...

I was off today!

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Oy.
Day 28.
Another Seahawk Special.

I did pass on an 'extra trip' per the Coordinator for the Husky game today.  The extra hour or so didn't seem to be the best idea at the time...

I got home and found out I have a Family living in the house.  They appear to belong to me...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#20]
The streak ends at:  33  days.  

Finished the day with a dinner/concert at Jazz Alley with my daughters.  

I don't think I'll work that much again for a while...a guy needs more time to see his Family and get some rest.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top