Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 11:56:21 AM EDT
Does anyone know if there is a way I can legaly get a 1911 frame in NY?  I asked at the local shop, and was told no because in order to get a pistol transfered to me it need balistic fingerprinting.  

I will go to the pistol license bureau when I get a chance, just wondering if anyone has checked this out.  

Am I stuck getting the frame sent to my sister in NH, build it up there and get it transfered to a dealer in NY?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well that's a damn good question which I don't have an answer for.
When filling out a NYSP "P-12"  the caliber, and barrel length are part of the questions... I suppose "frame only" could be supplanted, it's done on 4473's.
I suppose you could let your sister buy the frame, and have her sell it to you thru a NYS dealer, then recieve it as a "used" frame since it was previously sold/papered thru an other individual.
Just tell the dealer it's "as new in the box".   Used handguns do not require a ballistic sample.
Keep in mind that this is a grey area but play by the rules and no one could can say squat.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The COBIS testing only applies to NEW handguns. I suggest you get a used one, or how shall I word it...  get an ever so slightly, just barely, "gee whiz it sure looks brand new to me, but yup I swear it's used just look at the receipt, it says "used"" used one.

I might know people who have done that. "I think I don't remember."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I did on a 1911 I built.

You get the Frame sent to the FFL...You do have a pistol permit?

You build the pistol then either you or the FFL takes the gun to the State Police and have it printed.

At the time it was 20 or $25.00 to do it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is what I did on a 1911 I built.

You get the Frame sent to the FFL...You do have a pistol permit?

You build the pistol then either you or the FFL takes the gun to the State Police and have it printed.

At the time it was 20 or $25.00 to do it.

Not to bust your balls, but how did you convince the dealer to allow you to take possesion of the pistol frame? I understand the logic, and also understand this is New York where there is a difficult rule/law for everything. AFAIK dealers are not allowed to deliver a new handgun without first submitting a ballistic sample.

The SP will make arrangements to send an officer and fire the handgun at the dealers location, provided they have a suitable facility to safely collect the empty case. (remote test don't require the bullet to be recovered)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It is not a hand gun till it is completed...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a incomplete Caspian frame/ slide  set shipped to me from Perry a couple of years ago and called the NYSP on this one. As has been indicated, I showed it as "frame only" on my P form.
Top Top