Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 5:27:17 PM EDT
Thinking about a possible trade for some 1911 parts, but before I seriously consider the trade, I need to find someone who could do the build and figure out all the rest of the parts, and be able to do this on a budget.

So who knows of any good 1911 'smiths in MO, especially around the STL area?  This build is nothing too fancy, and cost is a major issue.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Heh, HKocher I've been seriously considering getting my FFL so I can do gunsmithing as a side business on weekends.  I thought I'd specialize in building 1911s because they are so many different options for people to choose.  As far as REAL gunsmiths go, I don't really know of any good ones that are available, Neil Wiggins is good but his wait list is years and you don't want to pay up front when your gun is going to sit there in the white and rust for months and months.  Plus he's a total tin-foil weirdo, he only works when he wants to and doesn't even use a phone anymore the last time I checked.  There is a smith at Denny's Guns in Kansas City who does good work, his name is John something-or-other and he does all the handguns for the KCPD, but he costs so much I've never had him do anything serious.  

Sorry I can't be more help.  Do you already have a frame and slide, etc., what is is that you are planning to do with this build?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
HKocher, while not in St. Louis, you may check out Duren's Gunsmithing in Republic, Mo. I'm not sure how much 1911 work he does (metalsmithing/fitting work), bot he does Glocks a la ROBAR, and specializes in Teflon finishes in ANY color (plus camo patterns, or even you own designs). I have used his a few time in the past, and they are FAST!

No, I don't work there, they just are building a following down here. Good folks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I should be more specific.  I AM going to get my FFL, I already have the paperwork and its just a matter of time to get the residential business license set up and all that, and I'm not just going to do 1911 builds.  I'm also going to specialize in making lower-end 1911s run right.  There are alot of cheap Llamas, GALs, Rock Island Armorys, etc. that work 80% of the time and with a little polishing and swapping out of selected parts can be made to work close to 100%.  I have a friend near Hannibal, MO who does all my refinishing for me and would be able to handle significant volume if I get lucky and have alot of business.

Its not really going to be a money-making venture, my real income will still come from my day job, but I think there is a niche in there for someone to do this kind of work, and its the next logical step when you are as deep into this hobby as I am.

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Duke-Nukem,

A guy on the board wants to trade for my USP Tact., and he has a SA TRP Operator slide, frame, a Jarvis bull barrel w/ SOCOM threads and a couple other parts plus cash.

But after pricing the parts to finish this new project, I might just forget about it.  It's a decent frame a slide to start off with, but by the time I get it finished, I think it will cost more than a good STI Tactical, which has been my dream for some time now.  I have to think about this one for a bit...
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that Rick at BP-Tec (www.bp-tec.com/service_rates.htm) might be able to help you out - but I'm not sure how much he might charge.

He did seem very competent when I interacted with him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I finally found the info -

Call Otto Matyska, 314-638-3327.  He's located in Affton (St. Louis County).

Otto is a no kidding gunsmith, trained in the Old Country, and there is no better 1911 smith available.  Never heard of him?  It's because he doesn't need to advertise.  He can probably do any custom operation, including fabrication of parts from scratch, on a firearm you can think of, because someone else already has had him build it for them.  His front strap checkering is incredible.

[Everyone pronounces his last name Matooska.]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top