Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 4:39:57 PM EDT
I am going to be building a raised garden for my wife and looked at 6x6s at Lowe's today and choked.  Given the size of the area it will cost a medium fortune to build.  Do you guys know of any other options?  I'm not set on anything in particular.  Hell, if I can get my hands on old railroad ties cheap I'll be happy.  Sore and tired but happy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
check out landscaping places that sell mulch and stone. They usually have stacks of them for their own contracts. They are usually pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Landscape timbers were about 2 dollars last year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Hippie, I have 5 ties I am not using. If you want them you can have them for free. Been trying to give them away for two years with no takers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The GA power depot here lets me have all the decommissioned utility poles I want.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not use railroad ties near a food garden.  I'm pretty sure they are full of creosote which is a carcinogen??  Some people also have concerns about PT lumber near gardens but the risk is significantly less.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would not use railroad ties near a food garden.  I'm pretty sure they are full of creosote which is a carcinogen??  Some people also have concerns about PT lumber near gardens but the risk is significantly less.

Good point.  I'll stick with the landscape supply possibility.  As far as I know the current PT method shouldn't be an issue.  The only other thing I can think of is masonry and that seems like a larger PITA.  There is (was?) a decent sized bulk landscape place up 141 somewhere at one point.  I'll see if they are still there the next time I am on that side of things.  If I can't find anything I may just have to do it in phases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top