Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2010 6:40:51 PM EDT
ExurbanKevin and I are setting up a completely informal get-together of bloggers, message board members, and readers for Fall, when it finally cools the hell off around these parts. We did this last year and had a very good time. I want this one to be bigger.

Date: Saturday, November 6, 2010
Time: 7:00AM 'till ?
Location: Elsy Pearson Public Shooting Range, Casa Grande, AZ, just off of I-8, just West of the I-10/I-8 interchange.

The Elsy Pearson Public Range has three areas with shooting benches and sun shades. There is a 100 yard range, a 300 yard range, and a 25 yard range. There's also a bigass rock outcropping on the side of the mountain about 600 yards downrange if you want something to bounce bullets off of. The city of Casa Grande has finally seen fit to equip the range with a Porta-pottie, but there still isn't any running water. Everyone needs to bring lots of fluids, if nothing else. Oh, and sunscreen. It may be cool, but the UV count is still high.

The range is unattended. We are expected to behave ourselves and clean up afterward. The site is posted "Absolutely No Explosives," so no Tannerite on site, and no exploding targets of any kind. Sorry. They don't like .50BMG at the range, but I've seen people shooting them there and so far as I know, no one has complained.

The same cannot be said for Tannerite.

Full auto, on the other hand, is A-OK. (Just have your paperwork. The police range is about 400 yards away.)

There are concrete shooting benches, but no chairs. Bring your own. The shooting area is fenced, so no vehicles downrange. If your stuff is heavy, bring a cart that'll fit through a 3' man-gate. (I have to get one of those.)

I plan on bringing my tables and bowling pins and setting up for pin shooting on the 25 yard range - no charge, just come shoot. I have my steel plates (9" x 11" x 1" AR500 armor - they'll stop a .50) and I'll be bringing a few of those for people to shoot at. (That's why I need a cart. Those mothers weigh 35 lbs each!) I'll bring some other things to play with, too.

The range HAS NO TARGET STANDS. Bring something to put your targets on. The ground is about as hard as concrete, so the cheap-ass wire frames you're supposed to stick in the ground? Uh-uh. My stand is made of 2" PVC pipe and 2x2 lumber. Other people just bring big cardboard boxes they set on the ground, or their own target stands that just sit on the surface. Whatever works for you.

Oh, NO GLASS. If you want to shoot something that breaks, I'll be bringing some clay pigeons.

We're planning on lunch at the range. I'm going to bring a small gas-fired grill and some burgers 'n fixin's, I encourage others to do the same. Sharing is fun! (Please don't share salmonella.)

Bear in mind, this is a public range. Other people not associated with this shoot will be there, too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is relevant to my interests.  I may be able to make this.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Can i bring a non-arfcommer? He's in the Army reserves and just got a Russian SKS and he's icthing to shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely!  The more, the merrier.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I just moved to the area so I will definitely plan to be there.  I haven't had a chance to go shooting since I sold my old house and did my move to Arizona.
So I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there and to burn some ammo up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm I might come out to this. I need to fab up some target stands at work.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagged. Good chance I'll make it, especially if my Form 1 arrives by then.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool!  Form 1 for a what?
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool!  Form 1 for a what?

11.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
No can?  (J/k!!)
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No can?  (J/k!!)

Only  .22LR

I have my eye on a 9mm and a 5.56 later on...
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
im might have to make it out to this.  not a far drive and sounds fun.  

and for the .22 guy- ill be shooting my old ass .22 most of the time even though i have other guns.  ammo is cheap and shooting is shooting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
im might have to make it out to this.  not a far drive and sounds fun.  

and for the .22 guy- ill be shooting my old ass .22 most of the time even though i have other guns.  ammo is cheap and shooting is shooting.

if i can make it out i will be doing the same.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a reminder, the shoot is coming up on Nov. 6 - the Saturday after the election.  

I'm sure we'll have some steam to blow off along with the ammo, so make plans to attend!
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Well my ammo stores are getting low but I'll bring the 1919 ... that's always fun... and I have a nice setup ruger 10/22 if there are any little ones who want to shoot..... plus it'll do dimes at 100 yrds.... well... last time I shot it...  going to my outlook calendar... ... ... ...... ... ... ...  ... ... ... There it's official now... I'll be there...

richard

EDT: Ouch... I just realized the time... 7am.... you sure do start early.... I am usually not up till 10... but I'll try to make an exception..... I may be a bit late....
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I am going to try to make this one too!

azski
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
i'll give it my best to be there, since i live in the 'Grande and all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

EDT: Ouch... I just realized the time... 7am.... you sure do start early.... I am usually not up till 10... but I'll try to make an exception..... I may be a bit late....

That's OK.  I expect most people will stagger in well after 8:00AM!
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd be me. 7am is a wee bit early since I'm driving up from Tucson. Good news is I got my form 1, now I need to scramble to build it and get my upper.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I go to this range sometimes.  I'll try to make it - thanks for the invite.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd be me. 7am is a wee bit early since I'm driving up from Tucson. Good news is I got my form 1, now I need to scramble to build it and get my upper.

Oh goodie... I get to meet another tucson person... I didn't know there were many of us on this board... My last count was 2... maybe 3

Richard
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Just a reminder:  The shoot is this Saturday, Nov. 6!

See you there!
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll go if i can get a ride my car is down because the reserves are messing up my pay
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'll go if i can get a ride my car is down because the reserves are messing up my pay

if you want a ride it would be helpful to state your location....
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#26]
sorry about that i live on Broadway and Dobson not far from the bass pro shop
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#27]
So... for lunch... what are people bringing... I'll grab some dogs and buns... I am not sure how many are being expected... I am inviting a couple of friends (one may show but have not heard from the others...

Richard
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Being as how I live directly on the other side of the mountain, I don't see any reason to miss this.  It will be nice to meet some local shooters.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll probably bring some ammo, mags and misc parts to sell.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Still looking for a ride[  I really need some trigger time
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Still looking for a ride[  I really need some trigger time

I'd help ya... but i am in the tucson area... not PHX

Richard
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll be there in about 1.25h ... I'll be in the bright green shirt
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#33]
is there still a city supplied j-john.

just a thread hijack and heads up, end of year shoot is coming up...
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, still there.  I know that I am looking forward to your 'End of the Year' shoot!  Always a great time, especially when guys bring out their best 'accessories'!.

azski

Link Posted: 11/7/2010 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks to everyone who came!  It looks like a LOT of people decided that yesterday was a good day to go to the range - the place was PACKED.  I think everyone had a good time.  Let's do this again next year!
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, still there.  I know that I am looking forward to your 'End of the Year' shoot!  Always a great time, especially when guys bring out their best 'accessories'!.

http://azski.com/images/michael_flame_skull.jpg

azski

SKI, do you know of anyway to get ahold of DMGNUT?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top