Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2010 6:46:37 PM EDT
well I traded my S&W 642 that I carried every day and a gun that just sat in the safe for over a year and a half  for a S&W M&P340 and a Crimson trace 105, (i like that version better for ccw) I also like the XS dot better than the HIVIZ on the 340PD      I shot some .357 Honady Critical Defense WOW..... not as bad as I thought it would be and I can actually see the sight on this thing !!!   i put about 200 rnds through it that day LOVE IT, going to put more through it this weekend.... it is always in my front pocket, its loaded w .357 Critical Defense, .38 critical Defense, 38 corbon DPX, 38 Critical Defense and .357 Critical Defense  they all shot great at 30 feet. extra 3 of 357 CD and .38 CD and 6 DPX on speed strips...... I think I made the right choice. I wanted the 340PD when I bought the 642 but i couldnt drop the other $650 for it, Glad I waited.  I have tried carrying damn near every other gun and the J FRAME  is the one that I always put on, due to right side sciatic nerve problem ( Damn rodeo )  still dont like the lock butit is what it is.......and i have to have something that i carry every day just in case so i can try to protect my kids,
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i put about 200 rnds through it that day LOVE IT, going to put more through it this weekend....

Wow, I put 5 rds of 38 special +P gold dots thru mine once in a while, and call it quits - anything more than that is too punishing...

I do like the HiViz sights, but like you I also have Crimson Trace grips (I forget which ones I chose - I put them on after I bought the gun).

If it were heavier, I might not carry it as often. Yes, it's a compromise, but a good one IMHO...

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Too rich for my blood,and I could never trade my well worn 642,it would almost be like giving away my dog.
Nice revolver though,enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I do miss Beverly  but, we do not have the $ for me to go out and buy a new gun ($1600/month daycare for 2 kids)   so.....   and i was having so much trouble seeing the sights, and i know its more of a point and shoot but its stuck in my head to look at the front sight
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I never regret buying mine although I only paid $550 for it since the local gunship was selling them at dealer price when S&W was there. I think it's worth it just for the Big Dot sight. .357 can be a bear shooting, but I found Speer short barrel .357 has not much more recoil than their .38 +P ammo. I don't find either of their loads are punishing. I shoot mostly the +P as it's all I can carry for work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my baby:

Congrats on yours!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Needs Bolt Logo Decal lol
<––––––––

Need a new pic it has the CT grips now
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I owned the 340PD actually 2 or 3 of them....I currently own the 360PD with hiviz........these 2 revolvers in my opinion can not be touched.   they are the best as a CCW.  You are also right  357 out of them is not that bad....granted I dont want to do it all day long at the range lol but not bad.  As far as your carry ammo, I would highly recommend the corbon 110+P DPX round or the speer gold dot 135+P both in 38.......both extremely easy to shoot the speer does have a bit more kick, but follow up shots on each are great and fast.  I currently carry the DPX round because....well its a nasty round lol   enjoy the 340 you did very good.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the 340PD. It is one of my favorites to use as a backup.

If you don't like the lock then have it removed.

I've had several locks removed to insure they won't lock up under recoil.

Karl Sokol at Chestnut Mountain Sports does mine for me.

I have him remove the lock, trigger mirror polished smooth, and tritium front sight in any gun carried for business.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry my 360PD daily.  By far, it's the best weapon I've carried concealed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I am going to buy the plug and take the lock out of this b/c if it ever leaves my pocket its to protect my family, and i refuse to risk the lives of my kids by having a revolver that should always go bang end up being a lightweight rock to throw, hopefully no one will ever have to sue S&W because their gun locked up and were unable to defend themselves and was injured because of it, unfortunetly i think thats what would have to happen before S&W woke up about the lock, they have trigger locks and gun safes not sure why they need this POS lock, u cant carry it locked and ask the BG hang on let me dig my key out and unlock this thing. WTF with that said lock and all its in my pocket everyday!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top