Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 8:11:09 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace my recoil springs on my Baer TRS and it's the first time having done so, just reaching the 2500 round mark. I'd like to order a few to stock up, but what should I get. I heard Wolff were good, but I'm confused on variable vs. conventional or load-rated springs. I shoot strictly 230 grain FMJ or JHP. I'm going with 18.5# but variable or conventional??
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto.

I run a 14# conventional (or "straight") spring in my 5" 1911 in .45 ACP.  The reason so light?  The more the recoil spring "weighs" the more muzzle flip you will get.  Reducing the spring weight will reduce the amount.  However, that doesn't mean you get crazy and run REALLY low rates (for instance on my Open pistol I run a 9# and my Limited pistol carries a 12#).  

The "correct" spring for me is based on reliability and then feel.  Try a couple out, see what works the gun best, then what feels right.  As long as the spring doesn't compress past it's full compression (i.e. "slams" into the frame) during cycling, it won't damage anything.  And, let's face it....springs are cheap.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top