Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2007 1:48:35 PM EDT
I just recently got my ccw and started attempting to carry. I have several handguns, and I narrowed my choices for my carry piece to either my 1911 or xd40 subcompact. I figured I would start with the subcompact since it was smaller and would be easier to conceal. I purchased an uncle mikes iwb holster for it, and tried every possible position on my waist to try and hide it. I cannot find one location on my body to make the gun disappear. I am a fairly small person (5"9' and 155lbs), and my style of dress is not baggy in any sense of the word. I usually wear a size 30"x30" pant and size small shirt. The only way I have found to carry without looking ridiculously obvious is "mexican style". If I tuck the gun in the front of my waistband pointing at my johnson, or the small of my back, essentially with the muzzle riding in my ass crack. I know there has to be a better way, because not only is it uncomfortable, it makes me real nervous knowing I have a loaded gun, with no safety, and nothing covering the trigger aimed at my manhood or asshole. Has anyone else ran into this problem? and what was your solution? I was told an ankle holster may be a viable option for me. I am also considering maybe the 1911's this profile may make it easier for me to conceal. Any advise on a carry position, carry method, holster selection, or possibly a gun suggestion would be appreciated, as long as your solution is not "buy baggier clothes", because I have a very nice wardrobe, and enjoy dressing in nice, tailored clothing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a real belt and a real holster.

Milt Sparks will do nicely.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry either a glock 19 but mostly a glock 36 and ive had many holsters IWB and OWB and in my opion there is only one that fits the bill for me and thats the C-TAC
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61&osCsid=00001ee4e25456f5a2156f675f0344e8

its confortable and tuckable if needed and adds almost nothing to the with of the handgun for concealment.  check it out as many of us have now ive sold all my other holsters but one OWB a galco.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
CompTac CTAC and 5.11 Instructor's Belt works good for me.  I can conceal a Sig 225 and Sig 228 just wearing a T-shirt.  Had a gunbelt on order from Rafters.  But after 3 months of waiting and the belt still not made (they did finish the double mag pouch), told them to send the pouch and refund the belt.  Will be hunting for another belt in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yup. Uncle Mike's is the cheapest stuff you can buy.

My XD45 is best concealed (hugs my body tightest) when I'm ising the ClipDraw.

Also, you may wish to look at SmartCarry.com.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
you will likely have to add some bigger shirts to your wardrobe
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you will likely have to add some bigger shirts to your wardrobe

+1

If you want to conceal, you are simply going to have to alter your style of dress and your wardrobe sizes.  It is that simple.

Get a real gun belt and holster.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 it isn't the guns job to fit in to your wardrobe. Buy some larger shirts. You won't be able to conceal under a tight t-shirt, sorry. Get some button-up shirts and wear them untucked, or look in to a tuckable holster. I have found that 3:00-5:00 is most concealable. You'll figure it out, it just takes a little time. Don't get frustrated.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

CompTac, Threat Solutions are some other good holsters

belts: wilderness, uncle mike's nylon, etc
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Dress around your weapon or find a pocket gun. You don't need to go XXL but a size bigger or a tall size may be required to completely conceal a pistol. Also, as mentioned get a good holster /belt.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm just ur size and wear a c-tac (sub Glock) and 5.11 belt and conceal very well with the c-tac all the way in the forward position at about 3:15-3:30 position.  For winter I will sometimes wear a owb galco superslide.

Good luck, don't give up u just have to find what works for u.  I had to try a couple differnet holsters.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
thank you everyone for your suggestions, i will have to buy a few more holsters i guess. the c-tac looks promising at this point. as of right now i am carrying something on the exact opposite end of the spectrum, just because its the only other thing i have a holster for, it is concealable under a coat since it is cold out, and it is kind of a novelty. i am using an uncle mikes shoulder holster to ccw my desert eagle. the sooner i get a holster that is doable for a smaller lighter gun the better. i did not realize how heavy that thing was until i carried it around for a few hours.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey man, I'm about your size.  I'll add my two cents in on the t-shirt.  A small fits me good, better than a medium.  But when I wear the medium, no one knows I have a gun, so I pretty frequently buy medium shirts now.  But like everyone says, you'll have to adjust your clothing selection to help hide the weapon.

Now I have a question for everyone:
I just got an HK P2000SK, and want to get a real IWB holster (to replace my crappy Uncle Mike's).  I know the CTAC is good, but it doesn't seem like having a huge piece of plastic with a pistol in it inside my pants is going to be comfortable for more than a few seconds.  I'm leaning toward maybe this Galco IWB:
www.usgalco.com/ViewLargePic.asp?ProductSKU=NSAII400
It just seems like leather would conform to my body better.  My only concern is that it has only one clip.  My pistol is pretty light, but will one clip do a good job of keeping the weapon in place on my body?  Will I have to make my belt really tight to get the job done with this holster?
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
First, get a good holster AND belt.  Go IWB for deep concealment.  Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, and several others have good leather.  This works for my Wilson CQB Compact and I can carry in shorts etc if I am wear the right cover garment.

Having said all that, I recently purchased an S&W442.  Now I am spoiled. DeSantis pocket holster and I can carry anywhere with anything at a moments notice.  Love it.  Its accurate and totally reliable too.  Some say 38spcl +P is under gunned but for the purposes of civilian CCW it fits the bill nicely.  Besides, I carry 100% of the time now and only carried about 25% of the time with the 1911.  Since having a gun with you is the first rule of surviving a gunfight, the 442 has solved all my problems.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Like everyone else here is saying, a good gunbelt and IWB holster are mandatory.  I'd also suggest adding an inch or two to the waistband size of the next pair of jeans/trousers you buy to accommodate the IWB holster/gun thickness.

Also, loose fitting shirts, untucked, will help and like previously mentioned in one of the above posts, you may need to go to a medium to help.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
First, get a good holster AND belt.  Go IWB for deep concealment.  Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, and several others have good leather.  This works for my Wilson CQB Compact and I can carry in shorts etc if I am wear the right cover garment.

Having said all that, I recently purchased an S&W442.  Now I am spoiled. DeSantis pocket holster and I can carry anywhere with anything at a moments notice.  Love it.  Its accurate and totally reliable too.  Some say 38spcl +P is under gunned but for the purposes of civilian CCW it fits the bill nicely.  Besides, I carry 100% of the time now and only carried about 25% of the time with the 1911.  Since having a gun with you is the first rule of surviving a gunfight, the 442 has solved all my problems.

+1!!! i like the 638.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Thinner guns like a 1911 or a Kahr are easier to conceal than wider double stack compacts like an XD. Sticky rubber grips can cause shirts to cling to the grip and look bad.  
Make sure your IWB has a cant to put the muzzle towards the rear and the grip upward. This will keep the butt of the grip from poking straight back.

Get a holster that has rear loop that will help keep the grip pulled in tight to your body, like a Sparks Watch Six or VM2

Have your tailor alter your clothes to hide the gun a bit better.
As far as position, I find that 4 o'clock is best for a good draw and concealability.

Gringop
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I am almost your exact same size, but 2 inches taller. Im 5' 11'', 156 LBS %8.25 bodyfat. For CCW, a Comp Tac CTAC or Desantis Scorpion is teh way to go. I CCW a fullsize G21SF and an HK USP Fullsize in CTACs and a G17 fullsize in a Scorpion. WIth a thin gun like your 1911 and a CTAC, you should be able to CCW, no problem. I DO have some questions about your clothing though. Im the same size as you, and a Small shirt is so tight on me it is like spandex, and a size 32 pant in the smallest waist size I can wear. Perhaps your just buying your clothing too tight? Go to Old Navy and get some medium Polo style shirts, and some Tshirts. Wear a Tshirt between your gun and you, tucked in, put on the polo shirt on over the gun.  Medium shirts  with either one of the holsters specified, and I guarantee your pistol will dissapear. YMMV, HTH.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you dead set on carrying the XD40?
I have a Glock 23, one of my favorite guns in my hand and to shoot, but it just felt to big IWB for me. I tried it with a Comptac C-tac, and it just wasn't very comfortable for me. Granted, I didn't give it a whole lot of time, wore it around the house for a while, but it wasnt comfortable to me and I wasn't nuts for it like alot of other people are.

Then I tried a Kahr CW9 in a generic IWB I found at a gun show the other month. (Took a while, but I found it online, size 32) and I like it much better so far. I normally wear jeans (a little baggy, not so terribly though) and a black tshirt (I have a stack of them, part of my uniform, so I wear them every day. Fruit of the Loom tagless T's, $5 each at walmart.)

I'm 5'9", ~160 lbs, I wear size large for the t-shirts and 34x30 Old Navy loose fit jeans. The jeans were just loose enough that I can fit the Kahr in there and they are still comfortable. I use a belt from www.thebeltman.net

Long story short, try a slimmer gun- it made a huge difference for me.
All that said, you may still need to alter your wardrobe at least a little bit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
You're not going to wear skin tight clothes and conceal a decent size carry piece and no holster in the world is going to solve that problem.  If that's your plan give it up and get a tiny auto like one of the KT 380's (although good luck on finding one that works right) and carry it in a pocket or the Smartcarry, but even that will stand out if you're wearing tight pants.  

You're going to have to size your clothes up a notch or two or leave the gun at home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
if you want to keep the pants the same size, go OWB holster, step up to medium shirts (I wear extra large shirts when carrying, large when I'm not)

Oh yeah, and get a good holster and belt.  Bianchi, Safariland, Galco, something better than uncle mikes'
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Dont mean to hijack the thread but for those who carry IWB, what do you do for a spare mag?  I have a 2 mag carrier that sits OWB but i would think that using my mag carrier with an IWB holster would defeat the purpose.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dont mean to hijack the thread but for those who carry IWB, what do you do for a spare mag?  I have a 2 mag carrier that sits OWB but i would think that using my mag carrier with an IWB holster would defeat the purpose.  Any ideas?

It's not really defeating the purpose - the mag holders don't sit nearly as far below the belt as the pistol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1

one of the BEST handmade IWB Ive had
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Well fellas, I have been carrying my xd40  at the 3-3:30 position, tucked into my jeans for a few weeks now. I have actually become use to it. My pants are tight enough, that the gun does not move at all, even when running. Without a holster, the profile is as slim as it can get, and until I find a worthy holster, the gun is going to be riding Mexican in my trousers. Thanks everyone for your opinions and help, I will keep you posted if a find a holster that works.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm about your height and a little skinnier even, but a good belt and a good holster goes a long way. Right now I carry OWB at about 4 o'clock in a galco holster with a wilderness instructor belt. I alternate between a S&W 5946 (pretty big sized) and a glock 26. I can conceal the glock under a medium tshirt untucked, there is a bump there but nothing that anyone notices. If I really want to make sure nothing prints, I throw on an untucked button down shirt.

I wouldn't really feel comfortable without a holster, it just keeps it in place.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well fellas, I have been carrying my xd40  at the 3-3:30 position, tucked into my jeans for a few weeks now. I have actually become use to it. My pants are tight enough, that the gun does not move at all, even when running. Without a holster, the profile is as slim as it can get, and until I find a worthy holster, the gun is going to be riding Mexican in my trousers. Thanks everyone for your opinions and help, I will keep you posted if a find a holster that works.

Dude, nearly EVERYONE that's posted in this thread has recommended that you get:
1) A decent Holster.
2) A decent Belt.

You then go on to carry a Desert Eagle in a SHOULDER HOLSTER
Now you're carrying without a holster, stuffed in your pants.

Sweet - let everyone know how it works out...

ETA: CCW isn't rocket science - you don't have to reinvent the wheel and you'd benefit from listening to the folks that are trying to help you carry safely and effectively.

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Do not carry Mexican style, I repeat do not carry Mexican style. I can not stress this enough. For one I don't know about your state, but the states i've lived in required I use a holster to conceal carry legally. It is not only a safety issue, but you can't be running around and keep your gun retained, also your draw will not be as smooth or fast. Get yourself a quality belt and holster. I'm a tall and thin guy and i carry a full size 1911 in a comptac holster and wear a galco belt. I have no problems concealing. I wear an open button down short sleeve shirt with dark colors to cover my rig. And i carry at the 4 o'clock posision. Or if i just want something really light and small i carry either an S&W 642, or a kel-tec P3AT, in a pocket holster in my front pocket.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#28]
For anyoe that is actually listening to my advice, an Alessi PCH is good shit.  It has a bend in it that the belt wrps around, pulling the butt into your body.  It's as good as it gets.

If you are one of the few people that has a use for Mexican carry, you don't need the advice of the peole in this thread.

If you carry shoulder... eh.  Bruce Nelson did it!  But not with a piece of shit handgun.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Post pics when you AD into your leg.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#31]
hey no need for all the negativity. this is only a temporary solution, until i find a worthy holster and belt. do you guys recommend i just leave the gun at home till i find a holster?
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Quoted:
The only way I have found to carry without looking ridiculously obvious is "mexican style". If I tuck the gun in the front of my waistband pointing at my johnson, or the small of my back, essentially with the muzzle riding in my ass crack. I know there has to be a better way, because not only is it uncomfortable, it makes me real nervous knowing I have a loaded gun, with no safety, and nothing covering the trigger aimed at my manhood or asshole.

If your going to carry like this you might be better off leaving it at home instead of shooting yourself. At least don't carry it with a round in the chamber. Its winter time get a good holster then work on getting some clothes that fit loosely before it gets too warm outside.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's a couple places to start looking...

Milt Sparks
Josh Bulman

The wait time is tremendous. Sorry but it's worth the wait. Ask anyone that carries their leather and you'll find that it's top notch.

Lou Alessi is also in the upper eschelon of leather holster-makers but he no longer has a website. I recommend getting a belt from the same maker as your holster. Sometimes they just fit better that way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
hey no need for all the negativity. this is only a temporary solution, until i find a worthy holster and belt. do you guys recommend i just leave the gun at home till i find a holster?

Yes. I would leave it at home or in the car. You are just asking for trouble carrying like that. An Uncle Mikes is better than Mexican. There were suggestions posted over three weeks ago... you could have ordered and recieved a Comp- Tac in that time.... and you still haven't done anything.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Well I took everyones advise and ordered a holster, it still hasn't showed up yet, wont be until about August when it does. I ended up abandoning the xd40, went with a ultra compact 1911, and ordered a milts sparks. Thanks for all the advise!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Hey this is ARFCOM where many people feel negativity is a requirement!

Don't forget that when you first start carrying you will most likely feel paranoid that the gun is showing and that everyone is staring at you.  I had it, many people here have posted that they had it too...  only carry time seems to cure it.

I only had two handguns back when I first got my permit; a G19 and a 92FS.  I quickly added a few more compact guns and now I'm comfortable enough to carry full size guns to the store or out to eat.  A good belt and holster can't magically miniturize a gun, but they sure help to keep it concealed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Like everyone else said. A different holster will do wonders. I went from this:

To this:

And it was a night and day difference!
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Well I took everyones advise and ordered a holster, it still hasn't showed up yet, wont be until about August when it does. I ended up abandoning the xd40, went with a ultra compact 1911, and ordered a milts sparks. Thanks for all the advise!!

That was my solution.  I got the VM2, it works great.  I use a Carhartt belt I bought for about 5 or 10 bucks and the rig is super secure and hides very well. The compact 1911s hide very well.  Its a great setup.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Ive had all sorts of holsters, and several guns, but they all feel like you are showing the gun off. I have looked in a mirror and I can't even see it and I know im carrying.
I have some large shirts....lol
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I ended up abandoning the xd40, went with a ultra compact 1911, and ordered a milts sparks.

Nice choice in holsters. How much have you short your new 1911? Do you like it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1

I am about the same build as the OP (a little taller, and a couple pounds heavier) and I carry a XDSC 40 everyday, with pinky extension. My setup is a Crossbreed Supertuck and Wilderness belt carried at about 4 o'clock. I have no issue concealing the weapon. Even with tighter fighting shirts at best one could maybe see the the butt of the pistol printing a bit. It is still nothing that is noticed by anyone.

ETA:

Looking at the above pic...

One thing that I have found that helps with drawing from the Supertuck (which holds real tight to the body) is to trim the excess leather near the trigger guard. There is generally about 1/4" of material that makes it difficult to get a full grip while drawing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I love the new 1911, except for a few things. In an indoor range, the thing sends out a serious boom from that short ported barrel. It is almost as bad as standing next to someone firing an ar15. I see that to work as a advantage, as well as a disadvantage for me in a draw down situation. It will blow my ears out, but the guy its being pointed at is going to get it worse, and that is just the noise, not to mention the .45 diameter projectile making its way towards his body and or head. Also the hogue wraparound grips are way to sticky, and grab my shirts. I am in the process of trying to figure out which slim grips I want. I was thinking Alumagrips, but its still up in the air.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I love the new 1911, except for a few things. In an indoor range, the thing sends out a serious boom from that short ported barrel. It is almost as bad as standing next to someone firing an ar15. I see that to work as a advantage, as well as a disadvantage for me in a draw down situation. It will blow my ears out, but the guy its being pointed at is going to get it worse, and that is just the noise, not to mention the .45 diameter projectile making its way towards his body and or head. Also the hogue wraparound grips are way to sticky, and grab my shirts. I am in the process of trying to figure out which slim grips I want. I was thinking Alumagrips, but its still up in the air.

Glad you like the little 1911. Ported probably isn't optimal for CCW. For physiological reasons, the noise probably won't be an issue during a gunfight.
I used customized smooth/tactical Alumagrips on my last Defender. They were awesome!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#45]
At 5'8" and 140 I understand your frustrations.  My solution is a BladeTech Stingray holster with a Wilderness 1.5" belt.  Or a "The Beltman" 1.5" bullhide if the order of the day calls for a leather belt.  I tried a Milt Sparks after talking with them extensively and after receiving it, there was no way it was going to work for my body size.  Being such an outstanding company they said if it doesn't work, send it back for a refund.  I have also tried FIST leather holsters without success.

Some observations I have made regarding thin people and concealed carry:

1. IWB holsters will be uncomfortable to the point you will end up not carrying.  With thin waist and bony hips they just dig in way too much, especially if active.  They also end up making you look like you have a deformed hip structure.

2. Leather is much nicer than Kydex (for aestetics) but not very practical.  For me the small radius around my waist made any leather holster conform in such a way as to prevent any sort of reasonable draw without using two hands and that is not acceptable.

3.  You will have to have cover shirts.  End of story.  I use Polo style shirts, Wollrich Elite Instructor shirts or Israeli bodyguard shirts as all have square cut bottoms and to me look much nicer un-tucked than tailed shirts do.  This of course is personal preference.

For what it's worth while you wait for your Sparks give Fobus holsters a try.  They are very reasonably priced and I actually find them a bit more comfortable than the Blade Tech.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Bear in mind that most people aren't on the look-out for your gun printing on your shirt.  I used to be really self-conscious to the point that I would refrain from raising my right arm for fear someone might see the bulge in my shirt.  Keep in mind that you aren't responsible to hide a bulge.  IF a cop stopped you for a bulge your only crime would be concealing a weapon and if you have a license for that it isn't a crime.  Wear your gun and go about your business.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't understand why so many people worry about "printing" these days. With so many people
wearing their cell phones on their hip a "bulge" around your waistline is commonplace.

Don't worry about it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Words of wisdom

SM
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Leather is so 1900s.

For about $125 you can get a Wilderness belt, Threat Solutions UCR, and a Blade-tech mag pouch.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Gain some weight or carry something that will fit in your pocket
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top