Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2003 6:49:22 PM EDT
picked up a springfield milspec last sunday, went to the range today (saturday)fit and finish is very good i dont see any sharp edges on the slide that alot of people are seeing. i ran 100 rounds of cci 230 grain roundball flawless operation,i also fed it some 185 grain reload fodder no problems whatsoever. point of aim was low at 15 yards but still very accurate for combat sights. overall i am tickled shitless about my first 1911, if your in the market for a good bare bones 1911 i think this is what you are looking for.                                                                                                                                                                
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I got mine 10 years ago and still see no reason to replace it.
I have purchased "in addition to" but not "instead of" .45's.
Mine rocks and eats everything.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m looking for my first 1911 and know nothing about them.  I was looking at the Milspec; price seems about right for what I can spend.  How did you go about choosing a 1911?  Have you shot any other 1911s besides the Milspec?  If so, how did they compare?

Thanks for the range report BTW.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
ill stand by my original range report,this is alot of gun for the money!
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently bought a Sprngfield Mil-Spec 1911 and really like it.  About 300 rounds thru it and no complaints.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice choice.  I almost bought the milspec too, but when I saw the Olive Drab sitting next to it I had to pass.  I love my Springfield 1911-A1.  I also have a Colt Government Model Mark IV Series 70 in Nickel finish.  Had it now for 18 years.  I like my Springy better!
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting!
I bought a Milspec over a year ago. It has been back to Springfield 3 times and each time it came back with the same problems.
I posted that info and received a number of e-mails from shooters who said they were having the same problem.
One shooter advised that I replace some of the Springfield parts as they were inferior and not suited for the proper operation of a 1911.
I did some comparisons and found that his info was correct.
I replaced the firing pin spring, the recoil spring, the mainspring, the sear and the extractor with Wilson parts. It shoots much better. But his info was right on. Springfield had no business putting the parts in they did.
This was the first 1911 I have purchased that ever gave me any problems in some 30 years of shooting the government model.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I’m looking for my first 1911 and know nothing about them.  I was looking at the Milspec; price seems about right for what I can spend.  How did you go about choosing a 1911?  Have you shot any other 1911s besides the Milspec?  If so, how did they compare?

Thanks for the range report BTW.

Bookhound,

The Springfield Milspec is probably the BEST entry level 1911.  SA's quality rep is considered better than the low end makers (like Charles Daly, Llama, Rock Island and AO).  For a first 1911, the Milspec is the way to go.  The SA might cost just a little bit more than the others, but it's WELL worth it.    

One of the good things about the 1911 is that it is SO tweakable.  Most parts can be changed/upgraded with little or next to no effort.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, Matthew_Q.  That's what I wanted to hear!  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought my SA M1911A-1 two years ago, put 500 rounds through it(230g win).  No problems at all.  I love it, carry it everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a mil-spec Govt model I had a new barrel put in. It now shoots as good as a Gold Cup. SA uses two-piece barrels, they really suck as accurate barrels go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It's true, the stock barrel is good for self defense.  A quality aftermarket barrel and bushing will make a much finer target pistol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A quality aftermarket barrel and bushing will make a much finer target pistol.

Mine is averaging 2.5" 25meter offhand groups with Military surplus "match" ammo.  The slide to frame fit is very tight on the Imbel made frames, so accuarcy is better than average for a basic 1911 type pistol.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got my SS milspec last weekend.

Shot 250 rounds of wolf through it without a hiccup.

All I need now is a longer slide catch lever.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Over the years I have never had a Semi Auto that I really liked to shoot until I bought my first 1911.I have had Smiths, Rugers, and Glocks and none of them really did anything for me. I just could not shoot straight with them. Then I got a Kimber Custom Stainless and I fell in love. I dont know why I did not get a 1911 sooner. My next 1911 is going to a mil spec type.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
All I need now is a longer slide catch lever.

Don't buy a noname parts bin gun show part like I did. It locked the slide back whenever it felt like it. Get a good brand name like a Wilson Combat. The factory lever is still in mine and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I have half a dozen Springfield Armory 1911s ranging from the Mil-Spec to the FBI Professional Model. Some had to go back to SA for some minor sight adjustment and to have a Tritium re-do on some dim sights (TRP standard model in A-Kote)Both times weapon was returned w/in 10 days, shipping paid by SA both ways and a shop list of work done included. First class.

I cannot say enough about Springfield Armory's service (Bravo to Deb in the Custom Shop) and quality products.

My Colt Gold Cup was (note the "was") an unfinished pistol that should never have left the factory. Colt's reply after many calls and emails was zero. Living off of their old reputation.   End of story.

The Mil-Spec is a Grade A base gun that is more than worth the $400.00-500.00. The likes of Larry Vickers (Recent winner of the Carlos Hathcock II award) have concluded that it is the optimum platform for a custom project. Works for me..

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top