Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 10:40:17 PM EDT
which should be the more appropriate caliber for carry to AVOID overpentration, and to have enough stopping power and still keep the excellent capacity of these great guns which is better for personal carry, the glock 32 in 357sig or the glock 30 in 45 acp liek both need a  a new ccw and one of these are it? help me come to an conclusion, thanks hooah,hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Agre with ikor.  Overpenetration is a non-issue when deciding what to carry among the standard fighting calibers, as is that old stopping-power non-issue.  Choose the gun you like shoot and that feels good to you.  Personally I favor a G-17 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Either or with decent ammo.  Don't use the .357 SIG with ball ammo and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While overpenetration is a legitimate concern, it is seldom a problem in actual shootings. Shots that miss the intended target are at least as important an issue, and IMO more so. Either of the handguns you listed will make a fine carry gun. Pick the one you like and shoot best, load it with high quality JHP ammo and train, train, train!

+1 -- biggest risk is an altogether miss.

When it comes to overpenetration with JHPs, there is some concern that hollow points can become clogged with something like clothing (or sheetrock) and that this can hurt expansion and lead to overpenetration.  I like designs like the hydrashock which theoretically minimize this risk.

However, it could be total horseshit.  Stick to hollow points and you're probably fine with either caliber.  I carry a .357 sig in my pickup, in part because of its ability to shoot through glass and car doors and still pack a good punch on the other side.

ETA: If you haven't already, check out The Box 'O Truth  It doesn't answer your specific question but it is a great site for anybody interested in bullet penetration theory in general.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top